• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe II @ Eden Park

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Good post Scoey, and you so right, I said same last week when Wallabies gave ABs a hiding, I got up Sunday, sun still came up, and I personally enjoyed the banter I got, especially at work from the non rugby fans, as I enjoyed that they were taking an interest in the game. Although I really enjoyed the ABs game on weekend it was slightly tempered with the fact that a lot of people that don't normally watch game here, would of sat down to get into the game, and unfortunately a lot would of turned off early saying things like 'same ol same ol' and maybe won't watch again for quite sometime. I love the game to much and would of been happy for a close game so those casual viewers could of found a reason to maybe blame the ref and still got behind Wallabies going forward!
Actually it was great reading so many positive comments on here leading into test too, not just out in the street, and I don't really think Wallaby fans should give up on them too early, there is definitely quite some improvement and I do wonder if the Eden Park hoodoo got into their heads a bit, not at the beginning of game but after Mounga's try, they were attacking made a mistake ,got punished and could of reminded them of hoodoo maybe. If last couple of weeks has reminded us of anything, it is rugby although a very physical game, is also a mental game.

= NZRU's deep investment in mental skills coaching for their elite layers = Gilbert Enoka leading that program as previous mental skills coach of the ABs for many years (and if one studies what he's been doing in this area over the last decade, it's very innovative and strategically smart).

See, for example: https://www.gameplan-a.com/2017/03/make-mental-strength-your-strongest-skill/

There has been no such broad program or dedicated Wallaby AC within the Australian elite setup.

To me it was more or less obvious from CLL's first wayward kick-off at EP and then the Wallabies panicky-vibe attack on the AB's line when right on it in the first 20 minutes, their worst problem was their own addled mindset and occasion/pressure- driven anxiety. Mental anxiety in big games is the pernicious enemy of task-focussed concentration; if not managed properly, it can and will lose games on its own.