• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe III at Perth, 5/09/21 - 4pm AEST

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lolesio, like a few others in this side has no instinct. When Hodge came on we immediately started to get over the gain line. He carried himself and started to pop passes in close. Lolesio is not a decent 10 and he is not fast or physical enough to play 12 at this level. He is also not a reliable kicker. Cooper should have been on the bench. JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge and Cooper’s should be the 10s in the squad.
Ikitau try’s hard but is largely ineffective at 13. We talk about sticking with people in positions well stick with Petaia at 13. He has proven in the past to be capable of playing very well there at test level. Let him own that position outside Kerevi.
We missed a few with genuine rugby IQ. Wilson, JOC (James O'Connor), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Players like Vinavalu also have it in spades as does Samu. Start Wilson at 8 with Samu on the bench. Choose either Swinton or Valentini to be your 6. The ABs pounced on every turnover while we looked genuinely surprised to have the pill when we turned it over and did not take advantage of one such situation.
FF (Folau Fainga'a) is not the answer at 2. He pops up every now and then but is not fit enough to contribute well for long periods of time and his set piece is horrible. Bring Uelese back and prey that BPA regains fitness.
I’m starting to wonder if Rennie gets the whole test rugby thing, McKellar too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
42529669.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lolesio, like a few others in this side has no instinct. When Hodge came on we immediately started to get over the gain line. He carried himself and started to pop passes in close. Lolesio is not a decent 10 and he is not fast or physical enough to play 12 at this level. He is also not a reliable kicker. Cooper should have been on the bench. JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge and Cooper’s should be the 10s in the squad.
Ikitau try’s hard but is largely ineffective at 13. We talk about sticking with people in positions well stick with Petaia at 13. He has proven in the past to be capable of playing very well there at test level. Let him own that position outside Kerevi.
We missed a few with genuine rugby IQ. Wilson, JOC (James O'Connor), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Players like Vinavalu also have it in spades as does Samu. Start Wilson at 8 with Samu on the bench. Choose either Swinton or Valentini to be your 6. The ABs pounced on every turnover while we looked genuinely surprised to have the pill when we turned it over and did not take advantage of one such situation.
FF (Folau Fainga'a) is not the answer at 2. He pops up every now and then but is not fit enough to contribute well for long periods of time and his set piece is horrible. Bring Uelese back and prey that BPA regains fitness.
Lot of what you post makes lot of sense - Ie lack of instinct / rugby IQ which ABs have in spades.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We talk about sticking with people in positions well stick with Petaia at 13.

The problem with Petaia is that he hasn't himself worked out what position to stick with.

Completely agree with your post all the same.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree JB, after a sleep etc, I (who hands up reckons he should of been kept) wonder if Lolesio is going to be as good as we thought, and you are probably hitting nail on head about rugby IQ. I wondered a little about desire etc, was thinking how when there a turnover the Wallabies don't come pouring in and whip it away, and could well be the lack of KNOWING what to do instead of not wanting to do it. I will give an example, TJP got that ball near end of game broke through, not quick enough to beat too many, so kicks to open player (Bridge) for an easy try. I acctually wonder if it also a bit skill based, if you actually have to think how to give and receive passes etc instead of doing it automatically your mind can be a little cluttered? I also thought the Wallabies again looked pretty nackered by about halftime, and that is maybe because they using up too much energy by not being efficient, I sure neither team has any better conditioning than other.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I add I was a little disappointed in NZ we had commentators in studio without taking Sean Maloney's , I quite like him, and I really think commentator at ground has better feel for game. We got all the buid up/halftime/aftermatch from Stan, just would of been happy with the whole lot.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Was Petaia playing at 13 last year when he was running over ABs and giving us some headaches with ball in hand?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
could well be the lack of KNOWING what to do instead of not wanting to do it. I will give an example, TJP got that ball near end of game broke through, not quick enough to beat too many, so kicks to open player (Bridge) for an easy try.

Contrast the similar situation with Banks getting run down, but has Kellaway infield and unmarked. Centering kick could have easily done it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How in the fuck could watchable content be bad though? You have to start building from some crystalline nucleus.

You can't build anything from weekly floggings. Nothing.

There's nothing wrong with it at all except it won't make the Wallabies aren't going to get any better - or any richer.

As a short term tactic it looks great. As a long-term strategy it sucks balls. You should really understand the long-term financial risks such a plan poses.

But I believe we've had this discussion before, and it is circular in nature.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Too late the NRL already has a foothold in the GPS and CAS system. Not that they are about start playing league but these schools are quiet happy to take signed NRL players in an attempt boost their chances in their little tinpot, walled-off comp

Fixed.

This is the issue with the schools associations as they stand - you've got half a dozen teams, maybe 2 of which are going to be competitive. They're playing a very short season, and the side with a couple of big kids or early developers is probably going to win.

I'm right at the start of reading Eddie Jones' book and his talk about Matraville High v Joeys as a teen is demonstrative - yes it is going to be a rare event, but unless you actually set it up to work, it never will.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's hardly the only thing parlous in NSW rugby. Pfitz.

Truth.

Agree with sticking through the talent (doesn't preclude tweeting same) and the coaching. Your focus on Super Au being a no-go is odd given you mostly support a bottom up re-build. Mostly.

Not entirely sure what the tweeting reference is about, but Super Rugby AU isn't the bottom. Nowhere near it.

I think the best place to start is schools because talent identification is done at that level for the most part.

So let's bring down the walls between the 3 rugby schools associations - that's 18 schools in Greater Sydney straight off the bat from existing competitions. Split them into pools to play qualification matches for 2 divisions. Second year, chuck in another half-dozen regional schools and grab some CHS schools as well. Suddenly there are 30 schools from NSW alone playing a longer, more meaningful season across 3 divisions.

There will be thrashings. There will be nail biters. The first few years it might just be GPS tonk everyone and it looks like it sucks. But it will eventually change because we'll start getting the kids who otherwise wouldn't be identified. Coaching will improve via depth. Schools will start to look at rugby programs that are multi-year so they can hold or improve their position and prestige. More public schools start to get involved and a few fancy schools will be looking over their shoulder for the next Matraville of Eddie Jones' youth.

Or it all implodes in a pile of hubris and they go back to navel-gazing. Whatevs.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I thought there were some decent performances in the Wallabies, but again too many turnovers, dumb decisions, some good decisions executed poorly and the most frustrating element - the continued walloping they're getting at the breakdown.

The worst part of that game for me was watching Hooper, who was generally ok, get pushed... not cleaned out with a shoulder or any physical opposing momentum.... but comically gently pushed off our own ball that lead to another turnover.

It just summed up our completely ineffective game around the tackle.
Hooper was noticeably effected by the head injury - he was nowhere near 100% so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hooper was noticeably effected by the head injury - he was nowhere near 100% so I wouldn't read too much into that.

I noticed that as well - one ruck we lost was him coming in at completely the wrong angle and getting bumped out of the way by a black shirt. UnHooperish

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Contrast the similar situation with Banks getting run down, but has Kellaway infield and unmarked. Centering kick could have easily done it.
Our outside backs just aren't fast enough as a unit and it really shows through our inability to finish.

Guys like Kellaway look pretty good compared to their Aussie counterparts but will continue to get shown up against their elite counterparts (not just the ABs but also SA, England and France).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Why do people think Vunivalu is a fix for this team? He showed nothing during the Super season to suggest he is ready. He's a freak of nature but he'd be more a liability than useful.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our outside backs just aren't fast enough as a unit and it really shows through our inability to finish.

Guys like Kellaway look pretty good compared to their Aussie counterparts but will continue to get shown up against their elite counterparts (not just the ABs but also SA, England and France).

And speed can only be trained to a point. Got to start with the widest talent pool you can manage, to capture talent, and go from there.

Anecdotally, I've been seeing a few guys with African heritage come into Subbies Rugby and pretty sure a couple are at Premier level as well. Lighting fast, but rugby isn't their first-choice sport. How do we change that?

Last edited: