• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe III at Perth, 5/09/21 - 4pm AEST

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Unfortunately they bring a league mentality with them and by this I mean they take these low percentage plays which are acceptable in a 4th or 5th tackle situation deep in the oppositions half in league as you are going to turn the ball over reagardless. NOT ACCEPTABLE in Union.
You clearly don’t actually watch much rugby league- they are far more conservative ball in hand. You rarely see players forcing offloads and certainly not to the extent in union.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
This Wallaby team is not that bad.

They are a young squad who needs time together to develop. The biggest issue to me is that the quality of every individual player is a step down from their AB counterpart. There is only possibly one player who would make an AB 23 in Hooper. They are playing the 2nd best - maybe the best - rugby team in the world. There aren't any Wallabies or possible Wallabies waiting in the wings who would make a big difference

To me, the Wallabies are in a huge rebuild. There aren't many older, experienced, quality players around who these guys can get an apprentice off so they are learning on the job. A lot of these guys are the top guys in the country, the No.1 choice at Super Rugby level with daylight coming behind them so these Tests are where they are learning where the next level is.

I hope Rennie sticks with a lot of these guys for the Argentina and Bok games.

I appreciate your words, but the issue goes much further than just a rebuiding phase. This is a grass roots, basic building block issue.
Swap 12 and 13 (sheesh, can't believe I'm saying it)
If Cooper has been doing as well as reported AND if JOC (James O'Connor) is still not available - 10: Cooper 15: Hodge 23: Petaia

ever heard the one about the deck chairs on the Titanic?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
You clearly don’t actually watch much rugby league- they are far more conservative ball in hand. You rarely see players forcing offloads and certainly not to the extent in union.
Don’t need to its a pretty simple game 5 tackles and kick. And just for clarity when I mean low percentage plays I don’t just mean pass offloads. I am talking about chip kicks and grubber kicks acceptable in league deep in the half and on fourth or fifth tackle not acceptable in Union. And yes stupid kicks in the opposition 22 has been a thing in recent months for Australian Rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There are about 4 Aussie posters left on this forum and i can only assume they are, like me, completely insane.

Otherwise we are left with a Silver Fern dregs forum with the quality contributions of Dan54 and Rodha.

Cripes the carry on after this game one would think we were a top 3 world rugby side. It didn’t need this game for a reality check as had a couple of years to get this reality check

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
the one that’s been there all season? If so it’s Alana Ferguson. Very good. Not a Wallaroo but did play 7s for Oz and had played a bit of league.
No, I'm across Allana. As others have said it was Sera Naiqama. I only caught a bit of her on the post game show. Really eloquent woman. Done some research and she's Sydney Uni, Waratah & Wallaroo, also talking head on ABC radio. Impressive.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
No, I'm across Allana. As others have said it was Sera Naiqama. I only caught a bit of her on the post game show. Really eloquent woman. Done some research and she's Sydney Uni, Waratah & Wallaroo, also talking head on ABC radio. Impressive.

Yes, I thought she was very good. Articulate and intelligent, and to think, her brothers play league!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
My dedicated team of GIF Screenshotters currently scouring all global feeds for footage of Akira's Run And Try Assist To Will Jordan AKA The Akira Prophecy Realised In Full.

CentralStation.jpg

"Holy shit! That's it! That's it! Scroll back! Ah fuck,
false alarm. Monitor 26, you got anything?"
He’s fucking good, aye. NZ can match the muscle of the Boks, England etc. with him in the backrow.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Lolesio is nowhere close to test level. Should not even be in the squad, he has no point of difference to offer as a 10.

Derpus is his No.1 apologist, who makes every excuse under the sun for his deer-in-headlights performances week after week. Even Hodge is much better in the role even though he's not a natural test 10. Noah is the easily most overrated Wallabies player (alongside brain-explosion test liability Paisami) in the rugby community, he offers absolutely nothing to the backline.

This is not Super Rugby. Both he and McKellar finding that out. You cannot play a bench hooker who is smaller than your whole backline or persist with a young 10 who is clearly not up to it. Lonergan was OK this time but the selection is fraught with danger.

Wallabies seem to be going backwards. Need a big change in direction from both of those coaches or else will most likely finish the RC at the bottom of the table.
Hodge is not even the best 10 at his Super Rugby club.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The first 10-15 minutes were the worst for us.
Mistake after mistake. Unforced errors. Giving away penalties galore.
Just how the players got their heads back in the game when on paper they should have just given up.
Then to have a try scored against us by a 14 man team?
The only positive for a while was the missed conversions (5 I think by the end of the game) that kept the ABs score a little lower than it should have been.
But the biggest long term embarrassment to the Wallabies is a 6-try loss including two intercept tries. Those facts will not go away.
The lack of cohesion, absence of blockers when Tate was shaping for box kicks, line out woes and getting steamrolled down the right flank are all things that could have been fixed by a decent training camp in preparation for the game. But they had that and still had to rely on individual flair to make a small contest of the game.
Mr Rennie - what you are trying doesn't work. It's broken so find another way of winning Tests.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'm not willing to concede this yet, though I understand the logic. I just hope that positive rugby has a place in the world. In which case the Saffers don't deserve it.
We struggle with the ABs counterattack and their creativity in open play. The majority of their tries were not actually from set piece/after multiple phases in possession. Still hopeful the more predictable SAF approach may not show us up quite as much.
It’s a long shot though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh right. Sorry I missed her. Not a Wallaroo yet. Has been in the squad for a couple of years but not capped. An excellent player.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Prophecy Has Today Been Realised.

And you shall already know what is spoken of as foretold in the tablature.

Yes, today The Prophecy Of Akira has reached Full Realisation Under Christ & Satan & Baby Jesus & Santa.

The Children They Weep

The Women They Seep.

The Men, they behold the lachyrmosal salination for it is a baptismal bounty as bespoken heretofore after as The Miracle Of Perth.

Behold With Thine Own Eyes:

giphy.gif

And Behold Again:

giphy.gif

And Thrice for The Holy Akira Trinity PRAISE BE FFS:

giphy.gif

tl/dr; Let Us All Praise The Prophecy and rub our tiny stiffies with giddy abandon whenever it is Thus Spaken Of.

Amen, and Boomfa.

Hodge is not even the best 10 at his Super Rugby club.
He is proven test standard....short term stop gap option.....as otherwise down to unproven rookies or To'omua ( no thanks). Obviously JOC (James O'Connor) has to be the preference when fit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Neither Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor) have ever been considered quality Test 10s.

I was surprised QC (Quade Cooper) didn’t at least get on the bench. He is the only 10 in Australian rugby right now who has any decent experience as a winning fly-half.

If anyone has fucked you guys this year, it’s Brad Thorn.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Neither Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor) have ever been considered quality Test 10s.

I was surprised QC (Quade Cooper) didn’t at least get on the bench. He is the only 10 in Australian rugby right now who has any decent experience as a winning fly-half.

Yeah okay mate. A 10 who was notorious for throwing loose passes was going to save us today.

I do like the Quade narrative though. A team that wins next to every match they play so petulant thay they boo a players every touch, because he dare play for someone else.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

We struggle to have any test quality players, let alone 10s. Harrison is the only one that oozes class IMO, although I’m looking forward to seeing what these Gordon brothers offer. In the meantime, JOC (James O'Connor) or Reece Hodge might not make the All Blacks if they were eligible, but they are certainly the best of a bad bunch.