• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe III at Perth, 5/09/21 - 4pm AEST

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
You forgot 15. We're treading water till we find a 15 and 10. We have some serious talent in between them. Maybe Gordon at the Rebels for flyhalf. Don't know who will be 15.
Gordan isn't ready, but maybe with another year starting he may be worth a try

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
My dedicated team of GIF Screenshotters currently scouring all global feeds for footage of Akira's Run And Try Assist To Will Jordan AKA The Akira Prophecy Realised In Full.

CentralStation.jpg

"Holy shit! That's it! That's it! Scroll back! Ah fuck,
false alarm. Monitor 26, you got anything?"
Geez he's playing well isn't he? Is it the coaching? ;) :D:D
He certainly looking good playing in wide channels, but isn't forgetting his other jobs now, starting to look a long term propect!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Can I also suggest that Taniela continues to struggle when he is against a good scrummager, because he working harder in scrums, he hasn't the energy for running around in open.
Big Moustache has marked him closely. Waits for TT to get subbed on and immediately does the same..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This Wallaby team is not that bad.

They are a young squad who needs time together to develop. The biggest issue to me is that the quality of every individual player is a step down from their AB counterpart. There is only possibly one player who would make an AB 23 in Hooper. They are playing the 2nd best - maybe the best - rugby team in the world. There aren't any Wallabies or possible Wallabies waiting in the wings who would make a big difference

To me, the Wallabies are in a huge rebuild. There aren't many older, experienced, quality players around who these guys can get an apprentice off so they are learning on the job. A lot of these guys are the top guys in the country, the No.1 choice at Super Rugby level with daylight coming behind them so these Tests are where they are learning where the next level is.

I hope Rennie sticks with a lot of these guys for the Argentina and Bok games.

In seriousness - this is the only way forward. Rennie must be retained along with 30 of the best players to build toward RWC. Everything right now might feel like it sucks, but we're in a competition with teams ranked at or above our level and it isn't going to get less sucky.

There are no miracles. Retreating to the comfort of Super Rugby AU wouldn't miraculously produce better Test players, just more watchable content for people with Stan half a season. Not going to light up the FTA casual audience we need to attract.

At the same time, everyone in Australian Rugby needs to actually get serious with themselves about what they offer to the game. If you think a change or coach or playing personnel is going to address this long-term decline, you're utterly wrong and should probably not be given sharp things unsupervised.

Our schoolboys pathway in NSW is parlous and is the first place I'd start, mainly because they're under threat from other sports. Bring the GPS/CAS/ISA/CHS associations together, or watch them flicker and die as AFL, league, and soccer muscle in.

Next is getting our third tier back through a reorg of Sydney Premier Rugby - QRU already have a blueprint for approaching NRC, and Sydney needs to do the same. Don't care if clubs want to be involved directly, but it means wholesale reform of the system.

Maybe in 10 years we'll start seeing the results of that. In the meantime we need to start a pick-n-stick approach, with a plan to retain talent on multi-year contracts to allow combinations to build.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Our schoolboys pathway in NSW is parlous and is the first place I'd start, mainly because they're under threat from other sports. Bring the GPS/CAS/ISA/CHS associations together, or watch them flicker and die as AFL, league, and soccer muscle in.

It's hardly the only thing parlous in NSW rugby. Pfitz.

Agree with sticking through the talent (doesn't preclude tweeting same) and the coaching. Your focus on Super Au being a no-go is odd given you mostly support a bottom up re-build. Mostly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In seriousness - this is the only way forward. Rennie must be retained along with 30 of the best players to build toward RWC. Everything right now might feel like it sucks, but we're in a competition with teams ranked at or above our level and it isn't going to get less sucky.

There are no miracles. Retreating to the comfort of Super Rugby AU wouldn't miraculously produce better Test players, just more watchable content for people with Stan half a season. Not going to light up the FTA casual audience we need to attract.

At the same time, everyone in Australian Rugby needs to actually get serious with themselves about what they offer to the game. If you think a change or coach or playing personnel is going to address this long-term decline, you're utterly wrong and should probably not be given sharp things unsupervised.

Next is getting our third tier back through a reorg of Sydney Premier Rugby - QRU already have a blueprint for approaching NRC, and Sydney needs to do the same. Don't care if clubs want to be involved directly, but it means wholesale reform of the system.

Maybe in 10 years we'll start seeing the results of that. In the meantime we need to start a pick-n-stick approach, with a plan to retain talent on multi-year contracts to allow combinations to build.
How in the fuck could watchable content be bad though? You have to start building from some crystalline nucleus.

You can't build anything from weekly floggings. Nothing.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Prophecy Has Today Been Realised.

And you shall already know what is spoken of as foretold in the tablature.

Yes, today The Prophecy Of Akira has reached Full Realisation Under Christ & Satan & Baby Jesus & Santa.

The Children They Weep

The Women They Seep.

The Men, they behold the lachyrmosal salination for it is a baptismal bounty as bespoken heretofore after as The Miracle Of Perth.

Behold With Thine Own Eyes:

giphy.gif

And Behold Again:

giphy.gif

And Thrice for The Holy Akira Trinity PRAISE BE FFS:

giphy.gif

tl/dr; Let Us All Praise The Prophecy and rub our tiny stiffies with giddy abandon whenever it is Thus Spaken Of.

Amen, and Boomfa.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

Too late the NRL already has a foothold in the GPS and CAS system. Not that they are about start playing league but these schools are quiet happy to take signed NRL players in an attempt boost their chances and for some very ordinary individuals to attempt to move from schoolboy rugby to professional rugby in a coaching management sense.
Unfortunately they bring a league mentality with them and by this I mean they take these low percentage plays which are acceptable in a 4th or 5th tackle situation deep in the oppositions half in league as you are going to turn the ball over reagardless. NOT ACCEPTABLE in Union. To be honest this also filters it’s way to the Wallabies.

Rebuilding Rugby Union in Australia will require absolutely no association or worship of league.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Going to get the popcorn and settle in for this one.
Derpus you have just done the equivalent of walking down King St Newtown with a I love Donald Trump sign hung around your neck.
Except that there’s about 4 Brumbies supporters on the whole forum.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Sorry Dan you're right. You are a saint.

The real reason I'm angry is that the Bears got cut and i just can't force myself to support a rando team in league.

And AFL? who the fuck wants to watch a bunch of unco fluffybunnys run around lots?

That leaves me with midnight sports such as the EPL and NFL. Which are on after midnight..
Nah lower the bar...let’s put Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Japan and USA as part of extended RC and play each once alongside nz, Sa and Argentina. So that way every couple of years we fluke a win against SA or nZ we could win it like six nations...

Reactions: dru

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Lolesio is nowhere close to test level. Should not even be in the squad, he has no point of difference to offer as a 10.

Derpus is his No.1 apologist, who makes every excuse under the sun for his deer-in-headlights performances week after week. Even Hodge is much better in the role even though he's not a natural test 10. Noah is the easily most overrated Wallabies player (alongside brain-explosion test liability Paisami) in the rugby community, he offers absolutely nothing to the backline.

This is not Super Rugby. Both he and McKellar finding that out. You cannot play a bench hooker who is smaller than your whole backline or persist with a young 10 who is clearly not up to it. Lonergan was OK this time but the selection is fraught with danger.

Wallabies seem to be going backwards. Need a big change in direction from both of those coaches or else will most likely finish the RC at the bottom of the table.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Lolesio is nowhere close to test level. Should not even be in the squad, he has no point of difference to offer as a 10.

Derpus is his No.1 apologist, who makes every excuse under the sun for his deer-in-headlights performances week after week. Even Hodge is much better in the role even though he's not a natural test 10. Noah is the easily most overrated Wallabies player (alongside brain-explosion test liability Paisami), he offers absolutely nothing to the backline.

This is not Super Rugby. Both he and McKellar finding that out. You cannot play a bench hooker who is smaller than your whole backline or persist with a young 10 who is clearly not up to it. Lonergan was OK this time but the selection is fraught with danger.

Wallabies seem to be going backwards. Need a big change in direction from both of those coaches or else we will most likely finish the RC at the bottom of the table.

Lonergan > 10x Fa'ainga

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Too late the NRL already has a foothold in the GPS and CAS system. Not that they are about start playing league but these schools are quiet happy to take signed NRL players in an attempt boost their chances and for some very ordinary individuals to attempt to move from schoolboy rugby to professional rugby in a coaching management sense.
Unfortunately they bring a league mentality with them and by this I mean they take these low percentage plays which are acceptable in a 4th or 5th tackle situation deep in the oppositions half in league as you are going to turn the ball over reagardless. NOT ACCEPTABLE in Union. To be honest this also filters it’s way to the Wallabies.

Rebuilding Rugby Union in Australia will require absolutely no association or worship of league.
Has this turned into the where to thread...