• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues vs Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That was disgraceful. At times it didn't look like the rebels were trying.
I couldn't agree more. I know it a different sport (and I don't watch so not sure) but a week or so ago Warriors in league got done by a huge amount, and I gave their coach credit, he got on TV and called his players out for not trying. I think sometimes a coach needs to do that and here is a case. Don't get me wrong Blues were very good, but if I was paying the Rebels'wages I would be wanting to dock them money for no effort. Some of that stuff was inexcusable!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rebels don’t need another coach with ordinary record. They need to aim higher given the disaster run of coaches in recent times.
I was reading somewhere that supposedly Rebels are on recruitment drive for a couple of players, can't remember who, while that would help a little, on that performance I think they barking up the wrong tree. The very first thing that needs to happen is make sure your players put in maximum effort each week, and buying in a couple of stars isn't the answer, merely trying to take easy way out, as the players did last night.
Anyway it's time for me to head off to rugby, got a bit to watch today!

Last edited:

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The guy that’s won the same amount of games as the rebels in the last 2 years, less games this year and less games over 3 years?
Yeah, he has actually not done too badly when you look at what he has been working with player wise and knowing he had had zero exposure to Super Rugby unlike those you are comparing him to.

He might not be the head coach the Rebels need, but he is already a step up from what the Rebel have.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello.

An anonymous unnamed ex-Auckland Blues assistant coach here.

grahamhenry_zps521dab57.jpg

On behalf of the Auckland Blues organisation we would like to welcome the following representative rugby football team to Eden Park this Friday night:

Melbourne.

Please be aware that the following is on the agenda for the Melbourne rugby football players selected to oppose the Auckland Blues:

- death
- murder
- hostility
- tears
- pain
- snot
- boogers
- snot and boogers
- abject humiliation
- shortness of breath
- feelings of discombobulation and disorientation
- near-death experiences
- multiple near-death experiences
- possible bowel evacuation
- dribbling incontinence
- mummy, mummy, I don't want to do this anymore.
- mummy, mummy, just make it stop
- mummy, mummy, where are my legs?
- decapitation
- defenestration

Please accept this as fair warning.

We the Auckland Blues will be doing everything within our powers to ensure your memories of the experience fit within the following parameters:

- OMFG that was shit.

- WFT happened.
- yeah f** that, I switched that bulls**t off after 20 minutes.
- f*** rugby.

Regards,

Anonymous Unnamed Ex-Auckland Blues Assistant Coach.

depositphotos_85489602-stock-illustration-mission-accomplished-red-square-grunge.jpg

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, he has actually not done too badly when you look at what he has been working with player wise and knowing he had had zero exposure to Super Rugby unlike those you are comparing him to.

He might not be the head coach the Rebels need, but he is already a step up from what the Rebel have.
He’s 3yrs into a Super Rugby tenure and has less wins than the Rebels do this year. It’s not like it’s a scratch club either, the team had existing framework to build from. The Rebels and Force are both crap but the difference is the narrative behind each other, one is rightfully ridiculed the other it’s seen as taboo to do so because of the sensitivity in the rhetoric behind it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello.

An anonymous unnamed ex-Auckland Blues assistant coach here.

grahamhenry_zps521dab57.jpg

On behalf of the Auckland Blues organisation we would like to welcome the following representative rugby football team to Eden Park this Friday night:

Melbourne.

Please be aware that the following is on the agenda for the Melbourne rugby football players selected to oppose the Auckland Blues:

- death
- murder
- hostility
- tears
- pain
- snot
- boogers
- snot and boogers
- abject humiliation
- shortness of breath
- feelings of discombobulation and disorientation
- near-death experiences
- multiple near-death experiences
- possible bowel evacuation
- dribbling incontinence
- mummy, mummy, I don't want to do this anymore.
- mummy, mummy, just make it stop
- mummy, mummy, where are my legs?
- decapitation
- defenestration

Please accept this as fair warning.

We the Auckland Blues will be doing everything within our powers to ensure your memories of the experience fit within the following parameters:

- OMFG that was shit.

- WFT happened.
- yeah f** that, I switched that bulls**t off after 20 minutes.
- f*** rugby.

Regards,

Anonymous Unnamed Ex-Auckland Blues Assistant Coach.

depositphotos_85489602-stock-illustration-mission-accomplished-red-square-grunge.jpg
Dear anonymous unnamed ex-Auckland Blues assistant coach,

WTF is your problem?

We hit every item on the agenda with flair. Are you saying we are a failure? Do you know how much work it takes to not only successfully achieve every item on the agenda, but also do it so fincken spectacularly well. Ah, that's right you do. This is not some tin-pot get luck on the day thing, this has taken years of training and planning.

Anyways, you should be proud as we are using your frinken Blue-"Blues"-print. Be shit until your Union buys you success!

Yours anonymously,

Kevin.

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Rebels and Force are both crap but the difference is the narrative behind each other, one is rightfully ridiculed the other it’s seen as taboo to do so because of the sensitivity in the rhetoric behind it.
Absolutely. Outsiders see Aus with 5 soup teams as too much dilution which in turn weakens all 5 teams but anyone with the temerity to suggest the 2 losing franchises merge to strengthen the entire cohort is greeted on GAGR with a massive flaming.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely. Outsiders see Aus with 5 soup teams as too much dilution which in turn weakens all 5 teams but anyone with the temerity to suggest the 2 losing franchises merge to strengthen the entire cohort is greeted on GAGR with a massive flaming.

It's a little more selective though: as I alluded to last night Aus posters can suggest a Brums-Rebs merger & barely anyone raises an eyebrow but a kiwi can't so much as say "y'know what? That might not be the stupidest thing I've ever heard" without the resident anti-all things NZR faction jumping down their throat.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Because that assumes the answer is to shrink our footprint to accomodate super rugby and to match kiwi teams in a closed and cross border competition. Last time anybody checked all the rival footy codes in oz (afl, league and soccer have over double the pro footprint rugby has and expanded the footprint over the last few decades (and at rugby expense including in traditional heartlands).

Maybe the problem is our reliance on super rugby then creating our own domestic competition. Hard to create a strong argument to cut teams to make us better in short rugby as if you looked at the stats that didn’t happen after the force was cut. Somehow that seems to be forgotten ie we tried the shrink our way to greatness and went even further backwards when went to 4 teams in super rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's a little more selective though: as I alluded to last night Aus posters can suggest a Brums-Rebs merger & barely anyone raises an eyebrow but a kiwi can't so much as say "y'know what? That might not be the stupidest thing I've ever heard" without the resident anti-all things NZR faction jumping down their throat.
Kiwis have been arguing that for years and if we remember the famous blueprint of 3 oz teams, us invited to apply, and approach to our state unions I think good reason why there was some angst. Things have settled down. Yes there are those that propose cutting our teams for super rugby (and we know most of you kiwis on here prefer that) and there are those that would rather we instead look at other options that keep our footprint including a domestic competition option.

Reality is yeh for kiwi fans it is all about super rugby whilst for us Ozzie’s it is much wider matters to consider.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Because that assumes the answer is to shrink our footprint to accomodate super rugby and to match kiwi teams in a closed and cross border competition. Last time anybody checked all the rival footy codes in oz (afl, league and soccer have over double the pro footprint rugby has and expanded the footprint over the last few decades (and at rugby expense including in traditional heartlands).

Maybe the problem is our reliance on super rugby then creating our own domestic competition. Hard to create a strong argument to cut teams to make us better in short rugby as if you looked at the stats that didn’t happen after the force was cut. Somehow that seems to be forgotten ie we tried the shrink our way to greatness and went even further backwards when went to 4 teams in super rugby.
Not agreeing with anyone on anything RN, but you awful misleading if you compare to NRL and soccer (who are not domestic as they both have kiwi teams) but to get into those comps you have to prove you have money and playing depth to do it don't you? As I say I not suggesting anything, but you need to use better examples I think!

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Personally I think dropping teams isn’t a good solution. If a country the size of Aus cannot sustain 5 teams there is considerably greater issues than a short term hit of depth to appease those across the ditch.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not agreeing with anyone on anything RN, but you awful misleading if you compare to NRL and soccer (who are not domestic as they both have kiwi teams) but to get into those comps you have to prove you have money and playing depth to do it don't you? As I say I not suggesting anything, but you need to use better examples I think!
One kiwi side in nrl and soccer.and the examples are fine as that is our competition. A-league who gets crap crowds and low tv audiences even have double the footprint of rugby. You don’t building playing depth by shrinking your footprint and pathways. Rebels for example now seeing local Victorian players in reasonable numbers come through into super rugby And that would not happen if no super rugby team in the state.

Anyhow I don’t want to debate this but for me the examples are fine especially a-league. You don’t have to agree with it as every one entitled to their opinion and we equally all don’t have to agree with others opinions. I think all the discussion on this is done.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally I think dropping teams isn’t a good solution. If a country the size of Aus cannot sustain 5 teams there is considerably greater issues than a short term hit of depth to appease those across the ditch.
I agree WM, the time for that is gone anyway, and did when MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua joined, if it was ever there. And it wouldn't be done to appease Kiwis mate only those who get upset in Oz with their teams struggling. I genuinely go to rugby all the time and hang out around a huge amount of rugby folk in NZ and I don't think I have heard one say Aus should drop a team since I been back in country. I think it an internet thing more than anything.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m reluctant to suggest it, as I’m not all over NZ rugby, but what about an extra team from each island? The NPC sides show the depth of talent over there mean it could work. I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons it couldn’t work, just an idea.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I’m reluctant to suggest it, as I’m not all over NZ rugby, but what about an extra team from each island? The NPC sides show the depth of talent over there mean it could work. I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons it couldn’t work, just an idea.
I think NZ having more teams would be a good thing, they will tell you they can't afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.