• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues vs Reds, Sat 14 May, 2022. Eden Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure what to do about peach. He is already turning into a genuine winger option for Wallabies. Has it over Kellaway

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thorn needs to go.

That is a starting point that is so ridiculous. BUT it may be that logical broader thinking comes to the same conclusion.
How many years has Thorn had at this point? 3 or 4? My worry is, well Thorn is pretty solid, so what does the alternative look like?

I'm ready to drop Thorn, but whose next?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is a starting point that is so ridiculous. BUT it may be that logical broader thinking comes to the same conclusion.
How many years has Thorn had at this point? 3 or 4? My worry is, well Thorn is pretty solid, so what does the alternative look like?

Mckay and call his Good mate Link to come back ...... Dreaming .....
Thorn has gone nowhere in 3-4 years with this current squad and not work on depth with a Reds game plan around Tupou.
Thorn is not even close of being a head coach.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Thorn is the most capped super rugby coach in qlds history. That was his 75th game in charge. This is his 5th year.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
He is obviously a great mentor but it may be possible that his success is more due to a crop of very good players graduating into the senior team at the same time. Tupou, Mcreight, Wilson, Tate, Petaia, Paisami are all fantastic talents. Head coach is a stretch too far at this level at this time.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
To recruit a complete coach that ticks all the boxes in not a simple task. Thorn has done a tremendous job over the past four years, but you need to remember he wasn’t alone on this journey, and the status of the player’s contracts have reached their cycle. I’ll talk about the coaching first … Thorn was a rookie coach who was looking for support and guidance in his first couple of years. He had McKay and Ryan who influenced the decisions. COVID hit and Ryan was let go, which was a massive blow, and no one knew the impacts of that until now. It’s not just because of Ryan’s technical and tactical attributes, but more of the time spent with the players as a mentor for the way their brains worked, and he was the coach that had empathy and was approachable. Likewise, Corosa was this person in the group to some degree.
Secondly, the 4-year, low money contracts offered three to four years ago are playing havoc. The players that signed these contracts are realising their undervalue in comparison to others. Many have the RA top up, but the ones that don’t are seeing the extended squad players getting more than the regular starters.
I’m going to be challenged on my next comment, being that there is some unrest in camp with regard to trust, unfavourable decisions and egos. I see the two influencing factors to be the makeup of the coaching staff and the fairness of the contracts. Thorn’s ego has got too big, and they need a coach like Ryan brought back in to balance the dynamics. Cordingley is going to need to be careful with this years and next year’s contract negotiations because there are a number of key players who may look at their options elsewhere.

Last edited:

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thorn is the most capped super rugby coach in qlds history. That was his 75th game in charge. This is his 5th year.
And yet the Reds are Stagnant and you can See the frustration in these young players who are actually really good Rugby players.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Changing coaches won't achieve anything.

Thorn took the Reds from consistently losing to every single side to consistently beating every Australian side.

That's pretty good considering the limits imposed upon his coaching.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Still no sign of @zer0's in-depth match analysis from the ground.

PaleClearAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: gel

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
He is obviously a great mentor but it may be possible that his success is more due to a crop of very good players graduating into the senior team at the same time. Tupou, Mcreight, Wilson, Tate, Petaia, Paisami are all fantastic talents. Head coach is a stretch too far at this level at this time.
Could be a bit of the Cheika/Alan Jones syndrome where he comes in, changes the culture, inspires players, and gets results but over time doesn't have the same respect because he isn't great tactically

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Could be a bit of the Cheika/Alan Jones syndrome where he comes in, changes the culture, inspires players, and gets results but over time doesn't have the same respect because he isn't great tactically
Thorn did not have immediate success that waned over time like your examples.

Your examples are the antithesis of the current situation.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Thorn did not have immediate success that waned over time like your examples.

Your examples are the antithesis of the current situation.
Thorn did not win like the others, but I think his early coaching, despite the results was impressive, he took a team of kids and they out performed my expectations.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Thorn did not win like the others, but I think his early coaching, despite the results was impressive, he took a team of kids and they out performed my expectations.
He also sabotaged his early results by punting the likes of QC (Quade Cooper) and Slipper for the cultural reasons. I agree his results with the kids was impressive, and that was what I meant, but they really seem to have hit a plateau. They look a bit disinterested recently. I do conceded that they also have a horrendous run of injuries

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Changing coaches won't achieve anything.

Thorn took the Reds from consistently losing to every single side to consistently beating every Australian side.

That's pretty good considering the limits imposed upon his coaching.

That's a firm statement that doesn't seem to necessarily be true. No we should not dump Thorn and start the inspection of Ballymore car park again. And if we do a thorough search of possible alternatives, if Thorn still heads the list, then we should not change. We don't want the revolving door policy of the Reds of the Past, or co interim almost HC etc. We can also think about how we better support him.

And I'm not doubting his achievements.

But Thorn has had 5 years. The fan base as well as management have been pretty understanding and pretty flexible. It's a pretty decent stint to see how much juice we can get out of that fruit. Thorn wanted to be judged on his performances against the Kiwis. It's not looking too good.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
ahh ............... the Blues are really good with threats across the park, they were bigger, faster and more effective.

Changing the coach will do nothing to make your side bigger, faster and more skillful
We were probably never winning yesterday but the performance was pretty shocking. I could not discern much in the way of a strategy and basic fundamentals were sorely lacking.

Yes we have an injury crisis but other than Anae the starting xv have been training with the squad all year.

Edit: and the Anae selection was probably the biggest head scratcher of the night.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Still no sign of @zer0's in-depth match analysis from the ground.

PaleClearAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Sorry. I and 20k others were admitted to hospital to recover from being that close to a supernova explosion of ritualistic murder at the Eden Park colosseum of doom.

Below is the in-depth match analysis field report from the Eden Park colosseum of doom.

First quarter with the Blues not giving up 14 points in first five minutes and Bryce Heem, instead, sneaking on and scoring:
a-surprise-to-be-sure-star-wars.gif

Second quarter, me and the boys + that one random Reds supporter/exile at the colosseum of doom:
schauinslandbahnana-bored.gif

A brief recounting of a fundamental teaching of the Matrix:
a348e94eaf190df80ed8b141c0d87c3e588c7e51.gifv

The Blues entering the field from halftime:
giphy.webp

Ergo, the Reds:
tele-tubbies-dying.gif

Fourth quarter: idk there was a scrum that went for like half and hour or something. DJ A-Hole absolutely took the opportunity to dish out as much punishment to my ears as humanly possible.

In conclusion, and to paraphrase Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington: they came on in the same old fashion, so we loaded up the interplanetary rail gun and fired at the cnut's faces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.