• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues vs Waratahs, Sat Apr 22 Eden Park. RD 9

Blues vs Tahs

• I have limited interest in this rugby football match

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Go Blues

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I despise both these teams

• "Despise" is a stong word

• Dislike

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • "Disgust" is a stronger word and I'm sticking with it

• I can only admire the rugged, dashing nature of the Auckland Blues gigachad rugby footballers

• This pole really didnt need more than 2 voting options

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I Want More Pole

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Barrett is severely detracting from my enjoyment of the Auckland Blues season. He is a coward. And seeing as he demands the ball all the time it fucks up everything around him. Zarn's bravery and incisiveness showed us what we're missing. We could have that. But no. We get Mr Cotton Wool and his inexplicable little kicks lofted directly into touch, his half-arsed running, his bailouts, his cop-outs and his shitty little turn and sideways shuffle directly toward the poor prick he is about to pass to. Driving me mad. Just fuck off back to Japan already, it's clearly what you're saving the bod for.

An assertive head coach such as Nuicifora would certainly be an option to curtail the big names - remember Ali Williams??

Unfortunately Rangi much like Fozzie Bear is in the business of big cuddles and placating his favourite old past-it players...

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Barrett is severely detracting from my enjoyment of the Auckland Blues season. He is a coward. And seeing as he demands the ball all the time it fucks up everything around him. Zarn's bravery and incisiveness showed us what we're missing. We could have that. But no. We get Mr Cotton Wool and his inexplicable little kicks lofted directly into touch, his half-arsed running, his bailouts, his cop-outs and his shitty little turn and sideways shuffle directly toward the poor prick he is about to pass to. Driving me mad. Just fuck off back to Japan already, it's clearly what you're saving the bod for.
Barrett. A coward? Coming from a bloke on his keyboard. Surely you have a Gif for that!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Barrett. A coward? Coming from a bloke on his keyboard. Surely you have a Gif for that!
giphy.gif

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Now I'm watching the replay:
H8d6t24.md.jpg

Just to be sure how my beloved Tahs were destroyed by these motherf*ckers

Last edited:

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Tahs. Pretty embarrassing. The middle part of the game it looked like they didn't want to be there.

Why does Williams allow the blues to clean out in the side and go off feet at the breakdown all night and then throw a sealing off the ball penalty at the 75 min mark against the blues ?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Coleman got a little bit of a dead cat bounce in 2022, following some of the worst Waratahs teams in history, and was ridiculously heralded as a Wallaby- coach in waiting. He’s come back to Earth this season.

Similarly the Waratahs were talked up as a title contender, despite the fact their squad isn‘t significantly stronger than 2020-2021. The addition of an aging Michael Hooper, Perese and Jed Holloway isn’t enough to be a top tier team.

They were obviously severely outclassed this game and not too much should be read into it with half their squad missing. Donaldson is still yet to show anything in attack and is too prone to shocking games.

Joey Walton is a good footballer; sharp, safe and actually has a crack. He’s the kind of guy who will move to Europe, star in the English comp and get 40 caps for Scotland.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Coleman got a little bit of a dead cat bounce in 2022, following some of the worst Waratahs teams in history, and was ridiculously heralded as a Wallaby- coach in waiting. He’s come back to Earth this season.

Similarly the Waratahs were talked up as a title contender, despite the fact their squad isn‘t significantly stronger than 2020-2021. The addition of an aging Michael Hooper, Perese and Jed Holloway isn’t enough to be a top tier team.

They were obviously severely outclassed this game and not too much should be read into it with half their squad missing. Donaldson is still yet to show anything in attack and is too prone to shocking games.

Joey Walton is a good footballer; sharp, safe and actually has a crack. He’s the kind of guy who will move to Europe, star in the English comp and get 40 caps for Scotland.
With regard to Coleman, I think the Waratah’s game plan is poor. Up until last night the defence has been quite good however the attack is where it is not happening. I put that down to playing too much off 9 and having too many forwards hitting it up before the 10 gets it. That's if the ball is actually held and not turned over. They have a great backline and need to get the ball out there quickly and more often. Carter Gordon from the Rebels is playing great but he is getting the ball straight up from mauls and rucks far more often than Donaldson has been or Edmed before him.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With regard to Coleman, I think the Waratah’s game plan is poor. Up until last night the defence has been quite good however the attack is where it is not happening. I put that down to playing too much off 9 and having too many forwards hitting it up before the 10 gets it. That's if the ball is actually held and not turned over. They have a great backline and need to get the ball out there quickly and more often. Carter Gordon from the Rebels is playing great but he is getting the ball straight up from mauls and rucks far more often than Donaldson has been or Edmed before him.
The game plan is average. The opponents can read every move. The problem with both Donaldson and Edmed is they don’t look interested in getting the ball. Bowen come on yesterday and demanded the ball. I saw more in Bowen in 20 minutes then I have all season from the others.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I can't see how any one would think the game plan is poor. The sophistcation of the plan is above the average punter.

Based on the pre-match inteviews, it was explained in dumb supporter speak as; "I picked as many big blokes as I have to to smash it up the guts, a couple of fast blokes on the wing is case the ball gets out there, and a flyhalf and full back to kick it back. Oh, and the 9 to save the big blokes trying to pick the ball up off the groud. The whole plan is smashing it up until we get over the line and score. We don't do backline moves as it messes up the smash ball plan and confuses most of the blokes".

Reporter: "You do know the Blues are stacked with huge units who are freaks, love the physcal "smash it" and also can run and are skillful?"

Response: "Oh, so the same game plan as mine except for the running and skillful stuff .....oh, and we are suppose to tackle when we can.......its the same plan as last year but I have found bigger players....."

Last edited:

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Genuine question, I have only seen the short highlights.

Did anyone else think the 1st blues try was obstruction? I only saw it in real time the. 1 replay however it looked like the Blues player had latched in front of the ball carrieder and technically obstructed the defense. I have a feeling initial contact may have even been made on the latcher and not the carrier.

I've seen this a bit this season. From the highlights looked like a tactic the blues used on the tahs try line a few times. They didn't get called up for it from what I saw so playing the ref however I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

I thought you had to latch at the back of the ball carrier and could only slip forward once the tackle was made?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Laulala's calf injury is a strain not a tear & Perofeta's sounds like a partial dislocation/ hyperextension. Neither will be going up to Fiji this week but Rangi seems to think they won't be out of action too long. RT-S (hand) & Papali'i (ribs) are expected back, however.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
A few of our teams have been playing off 9 quite a bit. The Brumbies have been similar which may be a facet of how Noah has evolved his game somewhat (and is percieved with regards to the role he performs).

When Aaron Smith is on the field the Highlanders tend to pivot off him a lot more. He has such a beautiful flat line cutout pass and tends to general the team.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes the style of play can shift depending upon who you have in those 9/10 positions.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
A few of our teams have been playing off 9 quite a bit. The Brumbies have been similar which may be a facet of how Noah has evolved his game somewhat (and is percieved with regards to the role he performs).

When Aaron Smith is on the field the Highlanders tend to pivot off him a lot more. He has such a beautiful flat line cutout pass and tends to general the team.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes the style of play can shift depending upon who you have in those 9/10 positions.
True with regard to Smith…. but he is a big cut above White and Jake Gordon imho. Lolesio plays second fiddle to White and to me loses out on backline organisation skills … same at Tahs for Donaldson and Edmed. The Rebels just need to improve their defence but are the best team to watch in attack.