• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bokke v Wallabies version III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scarfman said:
There's some good stuff from an Aussie perspective in both "Rugby in the 70s" and "Rugby in the 80s" DVDs.

Didnt know the Wallabies actually won any tests in the 70's :lmao:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, that's what makes it an interesting DVD. Blokes talking about getting hammered week in week out. They slowly built themselves up to the point where - at the end of the 70s - they were world class again.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scarfman said:
Well, that's what makes it an interesting DVD. Blokes talking about getting hammered week in week out. They slowly built themselves up to the point where - at the end of the 70s - they were world class again.

Not sure if id enjoy that kind of dvd, be like watching a collection of RWC highlights 1991- 2007

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Some highlights:

"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met Australia ..."
"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met South Africa ..."
"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met France ..."
"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met Australia, again ..."
"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met France, again ..."

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
Some highlights:

"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met South Africa Suzie the Waitress..."

Fixed that.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
formeropenside said:
Scarfman said:
Some highlights:

"The All Blacks looked unstoppable, until they met South Africa Suzie the Waitress..."

Fixed that.

thank you

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Some stats about Springbokke vs Wallabies

SARugby.com
Did you know: SA vs Aus

Here are some other interesting facts you might not know about Saturday's clash:

On two occasions South Africa scored 8 tries in a test match against Australia.

The record for the most points in a test match against Australia (26) is held by Jannie de Beer.

The record for the most tries in a test match against Australia (3) is held by Hennie van Zyl.

Overall Springbok record at Coca Cola Park: Played 41; Won 29; Lost 10; Drawn 2; Points for 1 059; Points against 618; Average score 26-15.

Overall record against Australia at this venue: Played 9; Won 8; Lost 1; Points for 223; Points against 113; Average score 25-13.

The last and only time that Australia beat the Springboks at this venue was in 1963 with a score of 9-11.

The Springboks' biggest win against Australia was in 1997 in Pretoria when they triumphed with 61-22.

The most points scored by the Springboks against Australia was in 1997 in Pretoria. The score was 61-22.

The youngest member of the matchday 22 is Cheetahs hooker Adriaan Strauss (22). The oldest is 34-year old Percy Montgomery who needs just one drop goal to equal Andr? Pretorius' Tri-Nations record of 4 career drop goals.

The average age of the Springbok starting XV is 25.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
13. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies) captain
12. Timana Tahu (NSW Waratahs)
11. Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs)
10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
9. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
7. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs)
6. Rocky Elsom (NSW Waratahs)
5. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
3. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:

16. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
17. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
19. George Smith (Brumbies)
20. Brett Sheehan (NSW Waratahs)
21. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
22. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)

I like it, I'm chuffed that Deans has given Waugh, TPN & MMM a start it's smart coaching to give them some real game time before the big one in Brisbane. He should of rested Tuqiri as well & let Mitchell start on the wing.

Will be interesting to see how the scrum goes this weekend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
But thats what I would like to know a bit more about. The tour was before I was born and between 2 countries I have never lived in so I know very little about what actually occured in the lead up and aftermarth and what the public feeling was surrounding the tour. Sorry if that makes me ignorant.
Try to tell it the way myself as a jukkerige youngster 28 year old Boer Saffer experiensed this one. I did felt when posting about this one on TSF it sort of open some old wounds but hell as a Saffer I learned the only way to heal wounds is to talk it. No one can help where he come from and till this day myself will never shy away from my roots because thats something no one have control over and the past is a gorner and matter sweet nothing and only the future that counts.

Anyway I think the 1981 SA tour to NZ for all the right or wrong reasons played a big part in the lead up to the Cavalier one. That tour was one of my favourates and I'll put it in the top drawer. Think as a Springbok or All Black rugby player you'll always have the desire to play and beat the best. Springbokke not being around short of give reason for the players to go throw all those hassle they had to endure to the thing they want the most and that is playing rugby.

Most of the 1986 players started their internal careers in 1981. To go to the score sheets of 1981:
15 August 1981
AMI Stadium (Lancaster Park), Christchurch
South Africa 9 New Zealand 14
29 August 1981
Athletic Park, Wellington
South Africa 24 New Zealand 12

12 September 1981
Eden Park, Auckland

South Africa 22 New Zealand 25

We always felt that there was unfinish business regard that last one. In that second test Naas Botha had a blinder (1 conv, 5 panelties, 1 droppie) and in the last one Ray Mordt scored his famous three tries. If you look at the team sheet great players like Div Visser, Louis Moolman, Burger Geldenhuys, Naas Botha, Danie Gerber , Carel Du Plessis, Colin Beck & Johan Heunis just started their careers.

Cavaliers Tour:
10 May 1986
Newlands, Cape Town

South Africa 21 NZ Cavaliers 15 (thats the one I attended and remeber Carel Doep score the winning try in a rainy test.

17 May 1986
Kingspark, Durban

South Africa 18 NZ Cavaliers 19

24 May 1986
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria

South Africa 33 NZ Cavaliers 18

31 May 1986
Ellispark, Johannesburg

South Africa 24 NZ Cavaliers 10

Up & until today (and I do get a lot of flak for this) I still believe the Bokke was in for a excellent change of winning that 1987 WC. Their players was on their peak.

OK regarding the politics, I dont know, I am to much in rugby but I cant assure you this great series pulled many a votes to convinse a lot of locals to vote yes to get rid of apartheid. That sort of enjoyment for our rugby supporters sort of make us vote for it in 1992 after we were boycotted. The All Black players in 1981 and the 1987 Cavalier players got a lot of flak from their own politicians for playing against the Springbokke in stead of getting credit for Saffers like myself voting against apartheid because of what we know of the enjoyment playing free sport.

S

Sardyntjie

good luck to the aussies.hope you guys get a bonus point win... :)

T

TOCC

disco said:
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
13. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies) captain
12. Timana Tahu (NSW Waratahs)
11. Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs)
10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
9. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
7. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs)
6. Rocky Elsom (NSW Waratahs)
5. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
3. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:

16. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
17. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
19. George Smith (Brumbies)
20. Brett Sheehan (NSW Waratahs)
21. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
22. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)

I like it, I'm chuffed that Deans has given Waugh, TPN & MMM a start it's smart coaching to give them some real game time before the big one in Brisbane. He should of rested Tuqiri as well & let Mitchell start on the wing.

Will be interesting to see how the scrum goes this weekend.
Lote had a average game last week, he probably would rather since he readily admits he gets in form by playing more matches

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh jeez - Morty watching the ball there instead of his man and Bekker scores. Tahu did the right thing trying to shut down Jantjes, and it was 2 on 2 with Morty just standing there...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OMFG - what was Giteau thinking there? Chalk up another to the Boks! Might as well just give them the ball at this stage. There is playing what is in front of you and just not playing FFS...

J

Jury

Butch James misses.

12-3 SA.

14 mins.

Spies working hard this game. Someone may have told him to run and get stuck in on the ground ...

J

Jury

Boks make great break and Wallabies turn over. Giteau, Hynds and Little Lotta make a break and run the pill about 50 ms. Last pass intercepted by Bok winger who is taken into touch.

Lineout Wallabies on Bok 22.

J

Jury

Jongi Nokwe (fantastic name) gets a second one.

17-3 Boks.

Kick to come.

J

Jury

Boks get penalty for Wallabies being offside at scrum time.

20-3 Boks.

31 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.