• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boks v Blecks match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stickybeak

Ali Williams is surely on the outer now as he has now had poor games in both tests and in the blues/reds game. Regardless of what people want their is really no doubt that the All Blacks will play the tried and tested Nonu/Smith pairing with SBW a super sub. I have a feeling Henry's love child Toeava will be one of the wingers when he is fully fit , he is on the bench for Auckland today.
Can't wait for next Saturday night for a preview of the world cup final.

This must be an attempt to flatter us into over confidence - we won't fall for it: you guys are the best in the world and have been for 100 years. We respect and admire you and think you deserve to win the Cup.

R

Rev Spooner

All Blacks looked good and showed intensity in all phases. What worries me though is how come they can push in scrums before the ball is put in? If that was the Wallabies doing that we wold have been penalised of the park.

S

Stickybeak

All Blacks looked good and showed intensity in all phases. What worries me though is how come they can push in scrums before the ball is put in? If that was the Wallabies doing that we wold have been penalised of the park.

"too much pressure" is the ruling on that when it involves us

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
just watched the video, really enjoyed it (never really played rugby, STILL trying to understand the 'black arts' of the R+M).

Hmm, can I say a mellifluous voice?

Who needs Kafe?

Ps, any more videos like that? As I say, it really helped understand the rules.

S

Stickybeak

just watched the video, really enjoyed it (never really played rugby, STILL trying to understand the 'black arts' of the R+M).

Hmm, can I say a mellifluous voice?

Who needs Kafe?

Ps, any more videos like that? As I say, it really helped understand the rules.

Theyre laws not rules - people will think you know a lot more about the game when you pull them up on that one, particularly if your argument's not going too well.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
haha, ok then (I knew that but hey)

Know what? I think you know a lot more about the game than I do now!! Seems you were right.;)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have just re-watched the game and must say that the Bok defensive structure is woeful. People will (I did on first watching) blame the midfield but the true issue is the defensive work by others. For one of the ABs tries Dejongh had to driftand looked inside to check the cover on his inside and it just didn't exist, the loose forwards, 10 and 9 were no where to be seen and Mils I think it was strolled through a gap at least 15 metres wide. Dejongh had to drift as there was a four on two overlap but nobody on his inside did any work at all.

One point I was very surprised by was the scrum work of the ABs. I think they were very lucky and Rolland must have been thinking about what happened to Dickenson because he was very poor in this facet. The ABs pushed before the feed in most cases and even got penalties for do it as the Boks didn't feed the ball, They pulled back on the tighthead without penalty. There was lots of infringements from them. Why this surprised me is that the Bok scrum was so weak they didn't need to do it, when they put their minds to scrummaging they were clearly dominant, in fact one of the last scrum penalties the Boks got which had Smit smiling was wrong as the Bok LH hinged down causing the collapse.

Lastly I am so sick of seeing McCaw especially committing cynical fouls in the 22. The Boks had a breakaway and Mils tackled Chilliboy 5 from the line, McCaw enters from the side and plays the ball on the ground to steal it for the ABs and is not penalised. It was so blatant that even Justin Marshal in the commentary was calling for McCaw to be penalised. He should have been given yellow.

The result went as exected and PDV would have learnt nothing from the last two games that wasn't already known. Players like Smit, Steyn, Mvobo just aren't up to the job, and even though he probably won't see it, he game plans are just poor.

J

Jay

Everyone pushes before the feed to be fair, it's always seemed odd to me that doing it well can see a team penalised.

As for that McCaw incident following the Chilliboy run, I don't actually see what he does wrong. He doesn't really enter from the side at all, he goes round the back and tries to play the ball while on his feet (with no Boks there on their feet, hence no ruck). He's then pulled off his feet and away from the ball (by Smit, I think). Mils blatantly cheats though.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Everyone pushes before the feed to be fair, it's always seemed odd to me that doing it well can see a team penalised.

As for that McCaw incident following the Chilliboy run, I don't actually see what he does wrong. He doesn't really enter from the side at all, he goes round the back and tries to play the ball while on his feet (with no Boks there on their feet, hence no ruck). He's then pulled off his feet and away from the ball (by Smit, I think). Mils blatantly cheats though.
Why would it seem odd? The scrum has to be steady to allow for the ball to be fed in.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

The pushing issue is partly a problem with the power hit, but the laws state that the scrum must be stable and straight before the feed. How can the half back feed when the Bokm scrum is already moving backwards before the feed. MCcaw enters from an offisde position in that his first contact with the ruck is while he is still retreating and is on the side and in front of his "last feet" which was Mils (who incidently didn't release the tackled player at any stage). The fact that McCaw ends up lying around the side and Bok side of the ruck is a dead give away in the end and on top of all that he plays the ball off his feet. SOmebody should grab him by the leg and pull him out of the ruck like Meads did to a Wallaby quite a few years ago.

W

Waylon

The game wasn't memorable

It's hard to guage the form of the Blicks. They were good but the Bokke defence was so abysmally bad that no great value came out of it in terms of a form guide.

J

Jay

Why would it seem odd? The scrum has to be steady to allow for the ball to be fed in.

It seems odd cause everyone pushes early. It only seems to get noticed when a team gets pushed back noticably, meaning more often than not a penalty for pushing early is actually a penalty for pushing better than the opposition, seemingly.

I'd like to see them get rid of early pushing and get rid of the hit to be honest.

J

Jay

The pushing issue is partly a problem with the power hit, but the laws state that the scrum must be stable and straight before the feed. How can the half back feed when the Bokm scrum is already moving backwards before the feed. MCcaw enters from an offisde position in that his first contact with the ruck is while he is still retreating and is on the side and in front of his "last feet" which was Mils (who incidently didn't release the tackled player at any stage). The fact that McCaw ends up lying around the side and Bok side of the ruck is a dead give away in the end and on top of all that he plays the ball off his feet. SOmebody should grab him by the leg and pull him out of the ruck like Meads did to a Wallaby quite a few years ago.

I agree Mils cheated. Didn't release then went off his feet and stopped Boks from getting to the tackle.

McCaw didn't have to enter from behind Mils, when he got there Mils was actually on his feet and not engaged in the tackle. He had to do so from directly behind the tackled player. Having reviewed it, he was in front of one of Chilliboy's feet so yeah. It was actually offside on his part, but a split second call and hardly the egregious cheating some have claimed. He didn't seem to play the ball off his feet at all, once pulled off his feet (by Pienaar) he was away from the ball.

Mils should have been carded after watching that. McCaw simply tried to make a play but got it very marginally wrong.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, Mils was the major transgressor in that ruck for me too. After the tackle he sorta went onto his hands and knees and cacooned onto the ball, I thought. Was a "WTF!?" moment for me that the ref let them get away with it. Thought it was a definite yellow for Mils, very lucky there.

Regarding the Boks, they played a compressed defensive line. I thought that was fairly typical, but the atypical part was their pathetic line speed on defence, allowing the All Blacks to get the ball around their defensive line with ease. Additionally the Boks on defence were doubly lazy and didn't slide as the ball went pass them laterally.

Also thought that the Boks had no cohesion in their backs on attack. Maybe because good ball never seemed to get past a forward hit up. Very one dimensional and I just couldn't see where their tries would come from.

In comparison, the All Blacks looked dangerous across the park, particularly in the 10/12 channel and the wingers.

Regarding Mils, he was a class player, but sadly I think he is past his best and ready for a NH / Japan pension.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Theyre laws not rules - people will think you know a lot more about the game when you pull them up on that one, particularly if your argument's not going too well.

It's a funny one, that. They are called The Laws of Rugby, but individually they are rules. Pedantically, 'a law' refers to the law of the land.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think concentrating on one incident in the game takes away from the overall performance of both teams. Referees will always make, what we think, are poor decisions. Whether they are or not sometimes has a lot to do with which team you support. In this case I agree that Mills should have been penalised. But in the over all scheme of things it had very litle influence on the out come. Wouldn't it be great if the IRB released their Referee review to the public so we knew what they thought of the performances of their officials.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Regarding the Boks, they played a compressed defensive line. I thought that was fairly typical, but the atypical part was their pathetic line speed on defence, allowing the All Blacks to get the ball around their defensive line with ease.

Good comment - I was trying to figure out exactly what went wrong with the Bok defence and I think that explains it pretty well.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Agreed on the Boks line-speed. When the flying nuns saw that the Boks were going to sit back and take it in that regard they changed their game plan I thought - licked their lips and decided to play far more ball in hand up tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.