• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boks v Blecks match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Yes, that's what the IRB claim, as do many other entities such as the bodies corporate of blocks of flats, but in fact they have no authority to create laws. Only the government and judges have the ability to make laws.

In The Science of Law (1885) British jurist Sheldon Amos wrote:

"A law is ... a command proceeding from the supreme political authority of a state, and addressed to the persons who are subjects of that authority."

William Blackstone defined law as:

"A rule of ... conduct prescribed by the supreme power in a state, commanding what is right and prohibiting what is wrong."

I can call my son's bedtime schedule a 'law' if I wish, but it wouldn't be one. :)

Reactions: Epi

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Funny - seems to be huge huge huge moan about Rolland not binning Mils when hot on defence - an argument with merit.

But not one single one talking about Rolland penalising the AB scrum in the last 5 mins when the Bok scrum was getting smashed by all 'n sundry - also an argument with merit.

These 2 things cancelled each other out & apart from that I thought the referee had a good match and the scoreline was probably a bang on accurate reflection of the game.

Think I'll swerve the GAGR match thread for NZ vs Aus... Have built up a lot of respect for you guys here but I suspect that will all be undone if this thread is anything to go by!!

J

Jay

Funny - seems to be huge huge huge moan about Rolland not binning Mils when hot on defence - an argument with merit.

But not one single one talking about Rolland penalising the AB scrum in the last 5 mins when the Bok scrum was getting smashed by all 'n sundry - also an argument with merit.

These 2 things cancelled each other out & apart from that I thought the referee had a good match and the scoreline was probably a bang on accurate reflection of the game.

Think I'll swerve the GAGR match thread for NZ vs Aus... Have built up a lot of respect for you guys here but I suspect that will all be undone if this thread is anything to go by!!

Or indeed how the 3 Boks who came through and sacked McCaw at the back of that rolling maul were meant to be onside. You could make a case that one of them came through/round the maul, but the other two simply came from the in-goal straight onto McCaw.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I think that was mainly because the thread diverted off to discuss the same match last year and that video, and it became a bit Mccaw focussed, rather than looking at the whole reffing performance. I think I posted something regarding the scrum penalty over at TSF along the same lines as you say. Rolland was just plain awful, I thought.
Hang in there, MR!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Out of interest - why do people think Rolland was so bad? As I said above, I think he had 2 absolute howlers which cancelled each other out & the scoreline was reflective of the dominance of the AB's up front?

Is it purely because the AB's weren't penalised off the park? Or was there more to it than that?

MR Match Report: Result as expected I think & the AB's are looking a lot sharper than they were against Fiji - although it is hard to tell against different opposition. For the Boks, Smit played well, Lambie is a talent and a fantastic tackler, Steyn ain't the best defender & should never be in 15 again. Boks game plan of going upt he guts was very effective - made yards quite easily. I thought we handled their backs quite well which I found encouraging. Smit's try was a worry though - just seemed to be a fair bit of inevitability about it & I think every team in world rugby will now back themselves close to our line.

For NZ, fantastic to see Jane back to form. And I haven't seen it in ages, but undoubtedly my fave sight in world rugby is the DC fend. Brilliant to see it again. His kicking is a worry though, to understate it massively. Thought the forwards did well, without being entirely cohesive. I am looking forwadr to seeing Read & Thorne back. Williams did a Rokocoko of the last 2 years type of game - busy without being effective. I still have him on the yesterdays man pile, but I understand why GH doesn't agree with me.

Slight digress - I'm sure most of us have seen Happy Gilmore & remember the scene about being in the "happy place". I went for a good ride on Saturday morning so was physically shattered by the time the game kicked off, so watched at home isntead of going out. There was a point in the match, I think we were up about 33-7 or so, but had the balcony door open, breeze on the back of my neck, cold beer in hand, relaxing on the couch with the AB's tearing the boks a new one 8 feet in front of me on the 42 inch plassie. I think I found my happy place.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought he was poor partly for those decisions, which were pretty bad. In a close game, the non-penalty on Mils and the penalty to the Bokke for that scrum could be massive game-changers. We're not talking a marginal offside, pass going 30cm forward, slightly slow release etc...but huge calls that were just plain wrong.
I thought he policed the breakdowns badly. He allowed both sides to go off their feet all over the place, but randomly blew penalties every now and then. Release of the tackled player was very slow also, but again intermittently a token a penalty was called. It was messy. None of the officials (and this happens all the time) watch kickers chasing box kicks in particular - there are usually 3-4 players in front of the kicker with each. The scrums were far from steady on feed, a function of the AB pack's dominance, but nonetheless, they are supposed to be steady.
No bias, or suggestion of it. Just quite inaccurate, I thought. Others might have other thoughts.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

The discussion was hardly one-sided. Mostly me and Stickybeak on one side and Jay and muttonbrain on the other. If the roles were reversed, the mods at the silver fern would have banned Jay inside half a dozen posts. The only moderator to get involved in the thread was cyclo who told us all to get over it and move on.

I appreciate your contribution to the forum, as I appreciate all the non-Aussies who battle it out here. Don't forget that it was me who appointed a Kiwi and an Irishman (along with NTA) as my first 3 moderators. But if some of us want to talk about how the All Blacks work the referee at the breakdown, then we will.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

May be a good idea - things will be fairly bitter if the result is wrong.. :)

Slight digress - I'm sure most of us have seen Happy Gilmore & remember the scene about being in the "happy place". I went for a good ride on Saturday morning so was physically shattered by the time the game kicked off, so watched at home isntead of going out. There was a point in the match, I think we were up about 33-7 or so, but had the balcony door open, breeze on the back of my neck, cold beer in hand, relaxing on the couch with the AB's tearing the boks a new one 8 feet in front of me on the 42 inch plassie. I think I found my happy place.

Most of us wallaby supporters are still searching for that one!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
The discussion was hardly one-sided. Mostly me and Stickybeak on one side and Jay and muttonbrain on the other. If the roles were reversed, the mods at the silver fern would have banned Jay inside half a dozen posts. The only moderator to get involved in the thread was cyclo who told us all to get over it and move on.

I appreciate your contribution to the forum, as I appreciate all the non-Aussies who battle it out here. Don't forget that it was me who appointed a Kiwi and an Irishman (along with NTA) as my first 3 moderators. But if some of us want to talk about how the All Blacks work the referee at the breakdown, then we will.

Scarfman, it was written firmly tongue in cheek - hence why I finished with the "!", pehaps a smiley would have been more clear - I think I remember having a 2 week lie down last time I got involved in a thread about RMC / your vid.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman, it was written firmly tongue in cheek - hence why I finished with the "!", pehaps a smiley would have been more clear - I think I remember having a 2 week lie down last time I got involved in a thread about RMC / your vid.
Did you lie down in your "happy place"? :)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think two shockers cancel each other out. But I will say there were more than a few here who thought the Ref would have a shocker going in and to them he pretty much proved it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thought Rolland had a good game. Congrats to the old foe and their supporters, we got an expected hiding from all corners and can put us in a depression mood with ease.

Thats not my style and I think we got a few more positives out of this test then the Wallaby one. Thought JdJ, AD Jacobs (how have Olivier fall down the walk of shame these days, our white qouta now), Deysel, Stegman, Mostert and the Brutes fatties and John Smit (only in 2) and ChilliBoy. The biggest one was Lambie in 10, Morne Steyn and Pienaar is down my Bok WC list. My biggest problem with the Boks is their defensive structure. You simply cant afford to give the All Black backs and Carter that amount of space. The quicker they get the Stormers defensive coaches and get rid of spotted Muir the better. Watching the WP youngsters in CC and the way they explode a good rush defensive structure it will be the most senseable thing to do.

Anyway this was our 2011 low, better days ahead.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I think you will find I discussed the scrum specifically the last one you mention in the post I brought up Mil and Mcaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.