• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boks vs Diveball People (Italy for some)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Great opportunity to now really rest the starting players and test some combinations. My team for the Ites.

15. Aplon. You don't try you never know. Kirchner is a great Super Rugby player and an average test one
14. Gerard vd Heever
13. Jean de Villers
12. Juan de Jongh
11. Bjorn Basson
10. Steyn - to give him and Pienaar game time together
9. Pienaar
8. Kankowksi - I MUCH prefer Vermeulen but he is not in the squad
7. Deysel
6. Potgieter
5. Bekker
4. Botha
3. Jannie Doep
2. Smit - assuming he is fit
1. Steenkamp - we have nobody else until Beast gets a passport.

This of course assumes he won't bring players like Wian du Preez into the fold.

Interesting conundrum for the selectors. They need cover at 6, 9, 15 and LHP. But they need to rest the top players they were out on their fett for the mast 30 against the frogs.

Paarl / Rusty is BAkkies allowed to play yet and when does Juan Smith return?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Can an admin please fix"

"Perennial"

I know, Dutchmen should use big words without spell checking.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The current Bok squad:
Bjorn Basson, BJ Botha, Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Jannie du Plessis, Jaque Fourie, Gio Aplon, Bryan Habana, Alistair Hargreaves, Butch James, Ricky Januarie, Ryan Kankowski, Zane Kirchner, Francois Louw, Victor Matfield, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, Dewald Potgieter, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw, John Smit (k), Pierre Spies, Gurthrö Steenkamp, Morné Steyn, Flip van der Merwe.

The idea was to pick a northen province based team for this one and giving the fringe players a run:
So we may see : Kirchner, Basson, Olivier, Butch, Habana, Steyn, Pienaar, Spies, Potgieter, Schalk, Bakkies, Matfield, Jannie Doep, Chilliboy, Guthro combo going in this one.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So any news on Bekker.

Surely Matfield needs rest.

Tha team doesnt make sense, Too many guys were out on their feet for the last 30.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So any news on Bekker.

Surely Matfield needs rest.

Tha team doesnt make sense, Too many guys were out on their feet for the last 30.
Matfield will have to play with Smit out injured or maybe HalGreave in and make Schalkie captain. Anyway its only a wild guess at this stage , we'll see the way it pan out. Thing is we had two good tests now and important to keep the confidense up. We need to have some old hands with the young ones coming in. As long as they keep it up and keep on winning.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry Blou, Bekkier is also fucked in the car park and also overplayed with the Stormers. He surely need a bit of a break now. Snor wasnt happy with the way the Stormers keep on going with him and also Vuurhoutjie with the Brutes. One game to many.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The latest on a possible Bok team from Keo:
QOUTE:
The Springboks look likely to field a team with as many as seven changes for their Test against Italy in Witbank.

Individuals who started in the 42-17 win over France who weren’t present at the Boks’ training session on Monday morning and are due to rest include John Smit, Danie Roussouw, Schalk Burger, Jaque Fourie, and Wynand Olivier. Other expected changes should see Jannie du Plessis start at tighthead ahead of BJ Botha, while Ryan Kankowski will start at No 8 ahead of Pierre Spies – who will provide cover on the bench.

The same back three who fronted the Tricolores will be used again, while Jean de Villiers and Butch James will form a new midfield combination. Morne Steyn and Ricky Januarie are set to be retained in the halfbacks. Dewald Potgieter will join Kankowski and Francois Louw in the back row, while Bakkies Botha makes a return from injury and suspension to start in the second row.

Victor Matfield is likely to lead the team in Smit’s expected absence. The extent of Smit’s hamstring injury will be revealed at a lunch-time press conference on Monday.

The front row who finished off impressively against Les Bleus and who are likely to front a powerful Italian pack includes Jannie du Plessis, Chiliboy Rallepele, and Gurthro Steenkamp.

Other players present at training on Monday: Bandise Maku, CJ van der Linde, BJ Botha, Flip van der Merwe, Alistair Hargreaves, Pierre Spies, Ruan Pienaar, Juan de Jongh, Bjorn Basson.

So a possible team :
Kirschner, Muskiet, Jean,Butch, Habana, Steyn, Januarie, Kankow, Slangkos, Flo, Bakkies,Matfield, Jannie Doep, Chilliboy, Guthro.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So any news on Bekker.
Keo
Andries Bekker, who left the squad before the Wales Test due to foot and back injuries, still hasn’t returned. Roberts said he would be in contact with those monitoring Bekker’s progress later this week to ascertain when he’ll be available for the Boks again.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So Bandise Maky gets a gig before the Bulls and Stormers starting hookers. Quotas are alive and well. He is actually not a bad player but clearly his skin color is all that matters here.

Slangkos ("snakefood")? Who the hell is that? (Paarl if I donlt know, nobody here will know).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So Bandise Maky gets a gig before the Bulls and Stormers starting hookers. Quotas are alive and well. He is actually not a bad player but clearly his skin color is all that matters here.

Slangkos ("snakefood")? Who the hell is that? (Paarl if I donlt know, nobody here will know).

Dewald Potgieter, sorry Boet

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It won't really matter who they field. It will be a walk over.
Thats where the danger comes.

Like Snor stated, he probably know which ones will start in the Tri Nations, just want to move the furniture around and see the way the players adabt.

Would have like him to experiense more with new ones but it look like he dont want to take any changes to let it drop after two great wins.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Springbokke – 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jean de Villiers, 12 Butch James, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Ricky Januarie, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Dewald Potgieter, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp.
Subs: 16 Bandise Maku, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Alistair Hargreaves, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Ruan Pienaar, 21 Juan de Jongh, 22 Bjorn Basson

So Schalk will play. still struggle to find the use of Bitch James. Maybe his goodbye present after the Poms robbed him against Wales.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surprised to see as many first choice players active. I would have thought Victor, Schalk, Habana, and Morne to get a rest. Maybe in the second match.

Butch is extremly useful as a backup flyhalf. If Morne Steyn breaks his leg in pool play at the RWC, I would rather have Butch there than Ruan in the final.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't get Butch at 12. We have Olivier, Juan and JdV.

Not sure Jean DV is suited to 13 any more. Looks like he has lost pace from what I've seen.

I hope they rest to Northern Boks next week but I suspect if we are well ahead they will sub early.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't get Butch at 12. We have Olivier, Juan and JdV.

Not sure Jean DV is suited to 13 any more. Looks like he has lost pace from what I've seen.

I hope they rest to Northern Boks next week but I suspect if we are well ahead they will sub early.
Understand Mallet also want to rotate his players. Pretty sure we'll see this happening. Understand he want to try Pienaar in 9, Bitch to 10, Jean to 12 and JdJ to 13, Basson to the wing. Hope Kirschner can speed up his position now, sort of last roll of the dice for him.

Edit: Great to take test rugby to Witbank.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Surprised to see vd Heever is not getting a go. Oh I forgot he is a white wing. We can't have one of those in the Boks.

Status
Not open for further replies.