• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Break Out the Arm Bands? - Bakkies Again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Bulls lock Bakkies Botha to miss Crusaders clash due to suspension

From correspondents in Johannesburg, South Africa

May 19, 2010

Bulls and South Africa lock Bakkies Botha has been banned for four weeks after recklessly charging into a ruck during a Super 14 match last weekend.

The suspension covers the Bulls semi-final against the Crusaders in Soweto on Saturday, possibly the May 29 final, and Tests against Wales in Cardiff on June 5 and France in Cape Town the following weekend.

Botha returned to action only three weeks ago after a long injury lay-off and no stranger to disciplinary hearings with several suspensions in previous seasons.

Captaining a virtual Bulls B team against the Stormers last Saturday, he hit an early ruck without using his arms or grasping a player and slightly built home winger Gio Aplon was treated for several minutes before continuing.

Botha was cited after the Stormers triumphed 38-10 to seal second place behind defending champions Bulls, giving both South African franchises home semi-finals with the Cape team facing New South Wales Waratahs.

Experienced Springboks forward Danie Rossouw, who recently marked his 100th Super appearance, is the likely replacement for Botha in the Bulls line-up against the Crusaders.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEYtII2qgw&feature=related

rusty i think this is your vid from youtube? unnecessary thing to do, and i'm sure his history played a part in the decision. but i could see others getting off much easier for the same thing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: Break Out the Arm Bands - Bakkies Again....

I don't think there will be armbands...

My news out of Petoria is that he isn't exactly popular for that incident...

With the rise of Bekker, Rossouw's excellent play and the emergence of Fip vd Merwe, Bakkies has done himself no favors. Why pick a possible liability?

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Re: Break Out the Arm Bands - Bakkies Again....

Long enough to make a point, not so long that he'll miss any 3N matches. Much like his last ban. And Schalk Burger's eye-gouge ban for that matter. Funny how that works out. :fishing

I'm sure the Boks can handle Wales away and France at home without him, especially with so many quality locks floating around the republic these days. It won't help getting him match-fit in time for the 3N though I guess. But it will help building tested depth for the WC. Playing France especially will be good experience, assuming they bring their A-game.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
He really is an utter fluffybunny, isn't he? He is one of only 2 or 3 guys I've seen play rugby who regularly attempt to injure other players.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
There is a big differance between the Jones and Aplon incidents, IMO. In the first, the IRB decided to arbitrarily start enforcing a rule that had not been enforced in any manner before. Presumably, because Jones was injured. In the second Aplon incident, we are now almost a year into the rule being enforced. Other players have been penalized, carded, and banned for the same illegal technique. The fact that Bakkies has not learned anything in the months since the first incident shows what a dumb shit he is. It is known that the rules regarding binding and cleaning out rucks are being enforced. To persist with illegal and dangerous techniques when you know they are being enforced shows a lack of gray matter or an arrogance putting yourself above the laws. Hence general Saffa disappointment in his actions, and absence of Justice armbands for his latest transgression.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
rustycruiser said:
Hence general Saffa disappointment in his actions, and absence of Justice armbands for his latest transgression.

The fact that he did it against another Saffa probably helps. I suspect there'd be less recrimination and more "They only banned him because he's from SA" if it had happened against a kiwi/aussie side, or if it had happened while he was playing in a Springbok jersey.

Maybe I've spent too much time reading Keo.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It was a good effort

Opportunity to take out smallest guy on the opposition - check

Come in from the side - check
Come in shoulders below hips - check
No bind on a team-mate or an opponent - check
Go off your feet - check

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Can Bakkies maintain his effectiveness as an enforcer with this particular tactic removed from his arsenal?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
DPK said:
Which was worse, this one or Mumm's in round one?

Mumm's was well and truly after the whistle and in the small of someone's back who had stopped playing. I think Mumm's was worse. It looked like more of a brainsnap than malicious intent to maim like Bakkies'.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
JJJ said:
rustycruiser said:
Hence general Saffa disappointment in his actions, and absence of Justice armbands for his latest transgression.

The fact that he did it against another Saffa probably helps. I suspect there'd be less recrimination and more "They only banned him because he's from SA" if it had happened against a kiwi/aussie side, or if it had happened while he was playing in a Springbok jersey.

Maybe I've spent too much time reading Keo.
Yep correct, way to much Keo spending here. ::)

I am sure Bakkies was just a bit over hungry, over eager, over passionate just after kick off and just feel like smashing a Stormers the legal way and forgot to bind. Thats all and sure he is feeling kak about it right now.

Saw nothing on our TV just the mentioning of the banning and still think the citing is over reacting for a stupid rule.

Anyway this will cotton wool our prime piece of meat comes WC time next year.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I agree Paarl, it is a stupid rule. I think you should be able to flying head-butt whoever you like.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ag Doc you know Bakkies speech just before kick off to his Brute soldiers was to run throw the Stormers brick wall head first, pitty Muskiet was the brick in front of him. ::)

H

Ho3n3r

What a kak thread. This is just silly from you newb. I don't know of one Bulls supporter who thought he shouldn't be suspended.

You must work in the media coz you're just purely looking for sensation here.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
What the fuck did newb do? Pull your fucking head in, mate.

And before you say it - I don't care what country you're from or what team you support. Everyone is welcome here who doesn't start arguments every thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.