• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bring on the Boks, Cmon lads fire up there is still hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bledisloe is gone but we still have the tri nations if we're good enough it's possible that we could be on top of the table when the whistle blows full time in Brisbane.

And who knows maybe a grand final showdown in Wellingshit.

All is not lost if our boys are prepared to run & gun in the next two weeks sure it will be tough but back to back victories & a couple of bonus points isn't out of the question.

Deans needs to get tough this week & shift Gits out to 12 & drop Baxter to the bench & bring in Palu for either Pocock or Brown either way Palu has to start.

Dean Mumm needs to start although it would be harsh to drop Sharpe hopefully is shoulder is shot & Jism can come onto the bench.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
fucking oath.
if we can be nz once away from home and sa then there will be be some great pride back.
would keep brown. gits to 12. Mum in Chis to bench. Genia given a start.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Look at NZ last year, they looked dead & buried but still comeback to win the lot.

It's unlikely that we can win the Tri-nations but there is still a slight possibility.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I hope you guys brought enough of whatever it is you're smoking to go around.

I guess it's possible that with both series effectively dead-and-buried and therefore no pressure to win the Wallabies could come out firing for a couple of games. But then if they win a few and everyone starts talking them up again they'll instantly choke. Again. They're clearly toying with us. They give us a little bit of hope and then brutally snatch it away from us. I don't know why they want to hurt their supporters so much (as they obviously do). I've tried phoning a domestic-abuse helpline but the woman hung up on me somewhere between "half-time lead" and "couldn't protect a ruck with an uzi".

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm still sulking. I'm over it. We hear how fired up the boys are, with biffo at training. Come the game and they're pussycats. We hear how the guys are told to play what's in front of them. That's great but these guys struggle to catch and kick. And all the talk of committing more at the breakdown. We still see them spectating when they should be cracking skulls. What are these muppets waiting for ? A written fucking invitation ?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope you'll get Brussouw & Schalk this coming weekend. :nta: The Wallabies will be desperate for a win, hunger as can be and I dont have a good feeling about this one. ::)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm still sulking. I'm over it. We hear how fired up the boys are, with biffo at training. Come the game and they're pussycats. We hear how the guys are told to play what's in front of them. That's great but these guys struggle to catch and kick. And all the talk of committing more at the breakdown. We still see them spectating when they should be cracking skulls. What are these muppets waiting for ? A written fucking invitation ?

Yep, I'm sick of them talking a good game but never backing it up. Less talk more action.

I don't want to hear a word from them this week.

S

Spook

naza said:

Absolutely correct...why the feck can't blokes kick and pass?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallabies line-up for Tri Nations clash with South Africa remains uncertain

By Justin Chadwick
August 24, 2009

Australia's line-up for Saturday's must-win Tri Nations clash with South Africa in Perth remains shrouded in mystery, with the fate of lock Nathan Sharpe (shoulder) and flanker Rocky Elsom (ankle) still unknown.

Both underwent scans in Perth on Monday but coach Robbie Deans and his fellow selectors will sleep on the results before unveiling the team on Tuesday.

Fullback James O'Connor was cleared of a leg fracture but failed to train and is also in doubt, but centre Berrick Barnes (concussion/neck) is expected to play despite also missing the light session.

Deans could also make some unforced changes to his starting line-up, with prop Al Baxter and scrumhalf Luke Burgess on shaky ground following Australia's heartbreaking 19-18 loss to New Zealand in Sydney on Saturday night.

Baxter has been heavily penalised at scrum-time in recent games and could be replaced by Ben Alexander, while Deans could also opt to give the impressive Will Genia a starting berth ahead of Burgess.

Genia, 21, said he had adapted well to the pace of Test rugby and was ready for more responsibility.

"I definitely feel comfortable," Genia said on Monday.

"It's not so much being nervous about playing, it's just excited about the challenge of playing Test rugby for Australia."

AAP

R

rugbywhisperer

This team couldn't fire up with a 1,000 gallons of petrol under them -

R

rugbywhisperer

fatprop said:
Team announcement has been delayed until Thursday

I heard the ARU has put a prerequisite on selection that a heartbeat must be ascertainable - no one passed.

The more I think about it the more I convince myself is that a big part of the problem is we bring players into the s14 and test rugby way too early.
They leave school as heroes, and don't get to play in the tough games - called senior club. They don't learn to play tough, to scavenge, graft for a ball, make that desperate tackle against a big man - instead they get spoon fed in the knowledge that well if I miss a tackle fred there is going to back me up and in every aspect of play we see stupid schoolboy errors made and then someone has to cover - they are not learning to play hard rugby - it's all too easy to get to the top without doing the hard work at an apprenticeship in grade.
There is no better example than Quade Cooper - getting outplayed and out guessed by crafty old codgers who have seen more that he ever will - he has no answer for gamecraft - he hasn't learned it and i doubt ever will so long as he and his kind are molleycoddled into their superior station in life.
That's my beef - i'm out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Barnes and Sharpe are out!

www.rugby.com.au can EXCLUSIVELY reveal Qantas Wallabies lock Nathan Sharpe and centre Berrick Barnes have both just been ruled out of the Bundaberg Rum Tri-Nations clash with the Springboks at Subiaco Oval in Perth this Saturday night.

Sharpe has not recovered from an injury to his shoulder he suffered on Saturday in Sydney against the All Blacks while Barnes also hasn't recovered from a heavy knock in the same match.

At this stage Wallabies Medical staff are unsure whether the duo will be available or not for the follow up clash against the Springboks in Brisbane on September 5th.

Both were ruled out this morning.

In some positive news flanker Rocky Elsom and fullback James O'Connor are still a chance to play on Saturday night with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans waiting to see how they get through training on Thursday.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, this is my team now.

Laugh away chumps:

15 James O'Connor
14 Peter Hynes
13 Ryan Cross
12 Matt Giteau
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 George Smith
6 Rocky Elsom
5 Mark Chisolm
4 James Horwill
3 Ben Alexander
2 Tatafu Polata-Nau
1 Benn Robinson

16 Stephen Moore
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Dean Mumm
19 Phil Waugh
20 Luke Burgess
21 Tyrone Smith
22 Drew Mitchell

What? You want me to justify my selections?

Ok, so, what will the boks do? Kick. So we need a back three capable of securing the ball and with decent counter.

Cross at 13 you say? Yes, more because I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) must be on the wing to counter the above. Cross is solid enough to handle the Bok backline.

Gits moves back to 12, with hopefully less pressure, but inside him is a ball distributor who does actually have some ability to organise, but is also prepared to chance his arm. Big call, but you have to admit (don't you?) that he has proven capable in the tests he has played.

Genia in for Burgess to change things up and rely on the Reds (oh so successful) combination. Burgess of the bench has some real clout too. And its finishing games off that is our concern.

Cliffy back to add some weight in an already productive backrow.

Chisolm to add more size and presence at the ruck v the Boks.

New, more aggressive (defensively) front row.

Kepu comes from the clouds a bit might let's get some x factor.

Mumm unlucky but Chis a greater presence in tight (going on UK tour form).

Waugh gets a chance to vent, and has to actually be used.

Tyrone Smith would add some real direction to this backline.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
not a bad thought process there Noddy. Disagree on a few things but least you are throwing it out there.

How many people would be picking Lote if he was available?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
the gambler said:
How many people would be picking Lote if he was available?

not me.

heres mine much the same one difference:

15 James O'Connor
14 Peter Hynes
13 Ryan Cross
12 Matt Giteau
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper
10 Christian Lealiifano
9 Will Genia
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 George Smith
6 Rocky Elsom
5 Mark Chisolm
4 James Horwill
3 Ben Alexander
2 Tatafu Polata-Nau
1 Benn Robinson

16 Stephen Moore
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Dean Mumm
19 Phil Waugh
20 Luke Burgess
21 Tyrone Smith
22 Drew Mitchell

Reason:
Christian Lealiifano can run a back line. Cooper, Beale, Gits can't. here more strike weapons.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is Lealifano even in the squad?

Surely Deans will keep it in the squad so we'll see:

10. Gits
11. Hairdo boy #1
12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. Cross
14. Hynes
15. Hairdo boy #2

I seem to recall AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doing well at 12 in a test was it last year?

I think that's the best option available.

As for 9 I would start Genia but there's a lot of love for Luke.

Pack the same as Louie's.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Hope you'll get Brussouw & Schalk this coming weekend. :nta: The Wallabies will be desperate for a win, hunger as can be and I dont have a good feeling about this one. ::)

What's the news re Juan? It's Tuesday and as usual the Aussie media will tell us sweet fuck all about the opposition's plans.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
My Forward Pack

8 Elsom - played a lot there for Leinster and allows Palu to make impact of bench ala Twickers
7 Smith
6 Mumm - Not a dynamic 6 but will get the job done
5 Chis - Hope he picks up from where he left off on EOYT
4 Horwill - Needs to step up
3 Alexander - Just dont drop it after the siren
2 TPN/Moore - Depends on TPNs confidence at lineout
1 Robbo - First name put down.

Backs

9. Burgess
10. Gits
11. Turner
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Cross
14. Mitchell
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I know thats very few changes to the backs but I just cant bring myself to put any of the other players in there. Cooper Beale and Leal are not test quality.

16 TPN/Moore
17. Dunning/Kepu (I know neither are in squad)
18. Waugh
19 Palu
20. Genia
21. Hynes
22. TBA

Status
Not open for further replies.