• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bring on the Boks, Cmon lads fire up there is still hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
All these fantasies that units from outside the squad are going to jump in and ahead.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
of course fat prop.
point is that deans needs bigger squads. more depth -= more covered for injuries and more to pick from.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
louie said:
of course fat prop.
point is that deans needs bigger squads. more depth -= more covered for injuries and more to pick from.

So how big?

The squad is 30 .......................................

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:
Hope you'll get Brussouw & Schalk this coming weekend. :nta: The Wallabies will be desperate for a win, hunger as can be and I dont have a good feeling about this one. ::)

What's the news re Juan? It's Tuesday and as usual the Aussie media will tell us sweet fuck all about the opposition's plans.
Look like Juan is OK, only Pakslae a worried at this stage. Hopefull they will start with Juan and start Schalk from the bench.

Who is this hairdo #1 & 2? Always thought it was Percy & Jean.

Think the longer they wait to pick Waugh the better for us. Like the look of Noddies team but I'll have Waugh in Smith place. Smith is over rated and Brussouw will kill him again at the breakdowns.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotty said:
I'm still sulking. I'm over it. We hear how fired up the boys are, with biffo at training. Come the game and they're pussycats. We hear how the guys are told to play what's in front of them. That's great but these guys struggle to catch and kick. And all the talk of committing more at the breakdown. We still see them spectating when they should be cracking skulls. What are these muppets waiting for ? A written fucking invitation ?

Yep, I'm sick of them talking a good game but never backing it up. Less talk more action.

I don't want to hear a word from them this week.
This got me worried like hell, the two of you , talking like this!. :nta:

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Agree that choosing possible teams with players from outside the squad is a tad frivolous.

If Gits hasn't been shifted out till 12 yet I'll doubt it'll happen now that Barnes is injured. So that leaves the possibility of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moving in one, Cooper being drafted in at 12 (where he played against Italy) or Beale or JO'C (unlikely).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is our best line-breaker and I prefer him to the other options at 12 at the moment, which means Cross starting at 13 and most likely Rabbit at 15.

Waugh has to be in the 22 - his physicality and leadership would be invaluable coming in during the lag points the Wallabies have been having in the second half.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like the team Noddy has suggested with Gay Quade at 10, I know a lot of people write him off & I have been one of them but we need tries on the weekend & he has a very sweet passing game which has been lacking from our inside backs.

I know his defence is crud but we can hide him in general play & shift him on the set piece which is no different to the Irish with O'gara & the AB's with Merthens.

If Deans was ever gonna start him the time is now, otherwise don't pick him in the squad select another openside as we need more of them.

My team assuming Elsom & JOC (James O'Connor) are passed fit.

1.Robinson
2.Moore (with a fire cracker up his bunghole)
3.Alexander
4.Mumm
5.Horwill
6.Elsom
7.Smith
8.Palu
9.Genia
10.Quade
11.Hynes
12.Giteau
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14.Turner (Wish Digby was fit)
15.JOC (James O'Connor)

Res:TPN, Baxter, Chisolm, Waugh, Burgess, Cross, Mitchell

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Grandmaster Flash said:
Agree that choosing possible teams with players from outside the squad is a tad frivolous.

If Gits hasn't been shifted out till 12 yet I'll doubt it'll happen now that Barnes is injured. So that leaves the possibility of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moving in one, Cooper being drafted in at 12 (where he played against Italy) or Beale or JO'C (unlikely).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is our best line-breaker and I prefer him to the other options at 12 at the moment, which means Cross starting at 13 and most likely Rabbit at 15.

Waugh has to be in the 22 - his physicality and leadership would be invaluable coming in during the lag points the Wallabies have been having in the second half.

Tell you what Waugh would have been yelling at Gits to get back in the pocket on Saturday in that last move.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Noddy said:
15 James O'Connor too small to succeed at the top level, will be worked out
14 Peter Hynes too slow and injury-prone
13 Ryan Cross can't run straight, leaves his wingers with no space
12 Matt Giteau if he doesn't make it at 12 we're all in deep shit
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper best positions are 13, 15 and 12, in that order
10 Quade Cooper I don't think this bloke will ever have the nous for top-level rugby
9 Will Genia shown great potential to date, I hope he delivers
8 Wycliff Palu mentally soft, why can't he put in for at least 60 minutes?
7 George Smith great player
6 Rocky Elsom ditto
5 Mark Chisholm some mongrel, please
4 James Horwill ditto
3 Ben Alexander see Genia
2 Tatafu Polata-Nau lineout throwing improving but very slowly, great physicality
1 Benn Robinson see Smith and Elsom

16 Stephen Moore good player going through a bad patch
17 Sekope Kepu dunno 'bout Seko, shame about Dunning and Shepherdson
18 Dean Mumm see Chisholm
19 Phil Waugh LG could be right, Phil's the man for the Bokke
20 Luke Burgess improve your passing son, or else
21 Tyrone Smith I like this choice, for his hard, straight running
22 Drew Mitchell NNNOOOO! Can't catch, can't kick, can't run

Looks like that'll probably be the team announced on Thursday, and I just got quite depressed writing that commentary.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
fatprop said:
louie said:
of course fat prop.

So how big?

The squad is 30 .......................................

no sure of a number. maybe 10 more.

Heres a list of guys who could be considered to be added:

Chapman, Mitchell
Fainifo, Francis
Hand, Ben
Hoiles, Stephen
Lealiifano, Christian
Shepherdson, Guy
Smith, Tyrone
To'omua, Matt
Valentine, Josh
Will Caldwell
Matt Dunning
Adam Freier
Sekope Kepu
Ben Mowen
Cameron Shepherd

My reason why extending the squad would be a good idea:

a) we don't have enough depth in this country. so build more. training more players at an international standard and program

b) these guys need to be training with the best in the country in a team environment. they miss this at club level. Professional who train with a team twice a week is pointless.

c) While Deans watches them on the field he doesn't always see them train.

d) Deans has a problem that realistically he can't just dump anyone out of the squad and replace them. The season doesn't allow for that. Having more means he can develop a system based on form not just potential were bad performances aren't accepted.

e) we can pick players to specialize in one position. This means we can focus on the skills needed for that position and not just have good footballers that can play everywhere.

f) If the team has a bad mentality (like now) you can change that by bring in faces that aren't so wrapped up in failure. you can't teach an old dog new tricks but if you buy a new puppy the old dog will a least try something new to keep your love.

g) tactics can change from week to week. we're not stuck like we are now.

g) deans is trying to run the team like you would in a club system. we're potential, development and attitude are key. not always form and skills. adding more means he can run it like a club.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I disagree, the squad size is fine. An Aus A program would have been more beneficial. But they need to play lots of games, not train.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
Noddy said:
15 James O'Connor too small to succeed at the top level, will be worked out physicality[/color]
10 Quade Cooper I don't think this bloke will ever have the nous for top-level rugby

Looks like that'll probably be the team announced on Thursday, and I just got quite depressed writing that commentary.

Thank you god, someone else feels the same about him as I do - honestly - I have seen NOTHING that tells me they are any better than other players running around in clubland and elsewhere.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Smith and Kep are the only 2 not in the squad.

Bring Ty in is a legitimate option as a centre replacement for injured Barnes and Morty. It won't happen now obviously as we would have heard of it.

Kepu has been training with the Wallabies, at least in scrum sessions, so its not such a stretch.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree with fp. Squad size is fine, it would be ridiculous to try and manage one any bigger than that. Australia A program would have been much appreciated by Deans I would think.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would like to see Waugh start for Smith (and replace him as elcapitain). This is opportuntistic as a rest would possible do Smith well plus it would be good to see Waugh have a chance (even though Smith has been one of our best).

My team:

Mrs Robinson
Moore
Alexander
Mumm
Horwill
Waugh
Elsom (if fit)
Palu
Genia
Giteau
Hynes
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Cross
Mitchell
Turner

Reserves
Baxter
TPN
Chisolm
Smith
Burgess
JOC (James O'Connor) (if fit)
Cooper

No size in the backs reserves unfortunately

Brown into the squad if Elsom out. Not sure who would come in for JOC (James O'Connor)

I am pretty sure Giteau and Barnbes would have swapped 10-12 if Barnes was fit. Tuner at 15 will be controversial, but I can't bring myself to pick Mitchell there again already.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I really don't have any faith in these teams being put forward, especially the backline. Absolutely no combos anywhere. Combos = success, just look at South Africa.

I would rather see just the Western Force backline play than a mish mash of players from all over the place, filling in gaps.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
unfortunately the force backline had only as much success aginst saffa and kiwi backlines as the reds did.
cross isnt international standard, niether is JOC (James O'Connor), ad brown to that list as he spends alot of time in the backline these days as well.

things aint working, i would prefer deans try something and builds on it while going down by twenty than losing by a few again with the same old shit.

it would be nice if we could have a plan b though. i know kiwis aint to bright but please mr deans, come up with your gameplan and then if it doesnt work, have another idea already jotted down that we can turn to!

i would bring quade in, hate him, but we need something, let gits drift to 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) outside him and for heavens sake can we all just pretend it never happened and get lote back out there.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
At least Cooper would bring a long kicking game. At the moment Gits kicking has been short, straight to the back 3 and liable to be charged down.

Status
Not open for further replies.