• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nothing more appropriate to knock back on Ballymore hill than a tinny with four fucking x's on it!

How is it appropriate to drink a Japanese owned Beer at Ballymore?

The product from Milton has not been the same since ownership went to Perth, then to NZ and now it's part of the Kirin Beer Empire.

Support your local craft Brewer, not some multinational brand.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting to hear that the two Qld teams aren't being paid but the Sydney teams will be. Tough ask for some playing having to travel to the Gold Coast to train four times a week chasing a dream.
Sydney teams run separately but the two Qld teams run by QRU.

Not sure about that. I don't believe the Reds contracted players are getting paid anymore, but certainly the guys from outside the squad would be surely? The guys like Parker, Kotze etc. surelywould be.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Some yes, but there is a very low cap on that pay..

That's the case, or at least it's meant to be, across the board. My understanding is non contracted super players can be paid a maximum of $5000, with the teams allowed to spend $2000 on top of that on relocation costs.

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
so keen to see our owen front rowers battle it out - the size, strength and youth we need to develop into Reds and Wallabies - hopefully like a Scott Sio. - I just hope our "incumbents" like daley, n holmes - can give slipper the support he needs before these solid islanders come through.

also so keen to see weapons like korczyke and kotze go hard - not big enough to be super rugby locks, like Payne and Fattal could be for Q-country but could be great back up 6's.

T

Tigers Tale

I think you will find that no one in the two Qld sides is getting another $ to play in the NRC, meaning the Reds don't get anything extra, the WTS members who get very little for that privilege get no top up and the club players get nothing.

The tours away will have to be good!!

T

TOCC

NRC Business lunch for the two QLD teams

4upyje7y.jpg

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think you will find that no one in the two Qld sides is getting another $ to play in the NRC, meaning the Reds don't get anything extra, the WTS members who get very little for that privilege get no top up and the club players get nothing.

The tours away will have to be good!!

They are, but as stated above there is a cap of $5k.

T

Tigers Tale

I don't think you are correct with this one Jeeper?

I know some club players who aren't getting a cent for being in the NRC squads and also guys who weren't paid a cent for being in the Reds WTS/ETS.

I also know some 2014 Reds who aren't in either squad (i.e. they have already left the country) who told me that they weren't going to get paid to play in the NRC.

I think you will find that if Jim Carmichael can avoid paying the $5k that you mention then he has.

T

TOCC

I don't think you are correct with this one Jeeper?

I know some club players who aren't getting a cent for being in the NRC squads and also guys who weren't paid a cent for being in the Reds WTS/ETS.

I also know some 2014 Reds who aren't in either squad (i.e. they have already left the country) who told me that they weren't going to get paid to play in the NRC.

I think you will find that if Jim Carmichael can avoid paying the $5k that you mention then he has.

Reds WTS/ETS players aren't paid for their 'Super Rugby' training time, that would be a breach of salary cap rules..They can be paid for the NRC under the NRC salary cap though.

Reds Super Rugby contracted players aren't paid anything additional for the NRC matches played, that was an agreement between RUPA and the ARU to minimise costs. But their is a salary cap for the the remainder of the players outside of the super rugby contracted players.

As for those players who left the country already, that would have been at the discretion of the QRU and isn't related to the NRC wages. RUPA contracts typically run until the end of the calendar year, it's why the ARU can refuse to release players before the November Teat series, the Super Rugby provinces can as well. Given it's a development comp it serves no purpose to force players like Anae and Owen to remain for the NRC and potentially cost them their new contract in Europe.

In saying all that, it's possible that some players aren't getting paid at all, that's the nature of the tournament.. Jim Carmichael may have chosen not to spend the whole salary cap allowance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Super rugby players would still be getting paid their salaries.

They're on a payroll like a regular employee. It's not like their whole salary is only paid over a 20 week period of the year.

T

TOCC

This is the only thing relevant from that article:
“Ewen has already been very good in his communication with us saying he wants players not involved in the Wallabies to be playing NRC,” Stiles said.

“Guys like Jimmy(James Horwill) and other players involved in the Wallabies squad during the week, once it gets to the end of the week if they feel there is a need for them to play, they will push them back to NRC which gives the competition more credibility as well.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/trio-of-stars-better-suited-in-wallabies-squad-brisbane-citys-nrc-coach-nick-stiles-20140815-104cvp.html#ixzz3AR2PNPi9

T

Tigers Tale

Does anyone have a read on whether players involved in the GF will be selected to play on Thursday night?

Also is James Horwill a chance of playing if not selected in Wallaby 23? If so why didn't he play for Uni yesterday?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does anyone have a read on whether players involved in the GF will be selected to play on Thursday night?

Also is James Horwill a chance of playing if not selected in Wallaby 23? If so why didn't he play for Uni yesterday?
As far as horwill goes he was in Sydney for the test, I assume as last minute injury cover, so it would have been tough to get him back in the side in time for the game particularly having trained with the wallabies all week. Whether or not that means he'll play on Thursday, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.