• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Junior Club Rugby 2017 - U13 to U17

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't ever pass comment on this stuff, but agree the level of Under 16 Brisbane teams was poor, put in the fully fit Wests Div one Under 15 team and they win the whole thing, easily.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and even CQ would be way too big and physical for Wests. May be the third best forward pack in the under 15.

Best back line though with their rugby league star.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and even CQ would be way too big and physical for Wests. May be the third best forward pack in the under 15.

If they were fully fit that is!,and not a good benchmark as they were the only team able to field 15 div one players against mostly weak teams!.

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)

Thanks for the feedback "CONFUSED SAY" and of course you are more than entitled to your opinion.
Too many people have put too much emphasis on size when looking at rugby players and teams. All good back lines (which you refer to) in both Union and league are built on the basis of a good forward pack with good early acceleration and ability to break the line and win the ball, agility etc etc, without this the back line gets no ball and score no points. Simple formula but seems to work.
As for the Wests Team and their forwards ability and that there one star in the back line, it is hard to argue with stats. With a for and against of 259 for and 33 against for the season the evidence is clear as to who has the best forward pack and entire back line and team as a matter of fact. The only time a team in the season even looked like scoring against them was on the back of a for example of an 11 to 2 penalty count in one half of rugby when the ref was obviously trying to even the game up.
Anyway everyone has there opinions and the proof "was" in the pudding, and finally as for the opposition was weak call from Lute, you can only do what you can do, a 100 is good under any conditions. Put the best team together from all the Under 15 clubs and that Wests team still dusts them by 20.
How's that for a can of worms?

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks for the feedback "CONFUSED SAY" and of course you are more than entitled to your opinion.
Too many people have put too much emphasis on size when looking at rugby players and teams. All good back lines (which you refer to) in both Union and league are built on the basis of a good forward pack with good early acceleration and ability to break the line and win the ball, agility etc etc, without this the back line gets no ball and score no points. Simple formula but seems to work.
As for the Wests Team and their forwards ability and that there one star in the back line, it is hard to argue with stats. With a for and against of 259 for and 33 against for the season the evidence is clear as to who has the best forward pack and entire back line and team as a matter of fact. The only time a team in the season even looked like scoring against them was on the back of a for example of an 11 to 2 penalty count in one half of rugby when the ref was obviously trying to even the game up.
Anyway everyone has there opinions and the proof "was" in the pudding, and finally as for the opposition was weak call from Lute, you can only do what you can do, a 100 is good under any conditions. Put the best team together from all the Under 15 clubs and that Wests team still dusts them by 20.
Joke, best sticking to fudging team sheets like u did on that said day,apart from a couple, all the boys are rep players, no other team has that strength, stop making excuses for when u win even!.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Joke, best sticking to fudging team sheets like u did on that said day,apart from a couple, all the boys are rep players, no other team has that strength, stop making excuses for when u win even!.
Winning starts on the field,humility starts at home,pity!.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
It may surprise you, but at least 3 players didn't, I believe 1 signed on and played the trial game only and 2 didn't play for anyone in the 1st season. Check rugby link and you will see.

Do you mean the Team lists on Rugbylink. I see 1 boy from the Green team suddenly appeared on the trial day, but it looks like he continued to play till the finals. Can't find any others yet...

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Monsieur Basso,
I little offended by your slightly personal attack. I have not called you Bassoon, Brassed Off or Basic. Let's please play the topic.

Do not be lulled into the false sense. The West team were worthy winner and a good side but their forwards no match for Easts or GPS at full strength.

I am not sure what game you are referring to with the 11-2 count but my information source tells me that in all 3 games v the GPS pack, Wests forward struggle to dominate but the backline won the games with their class, speed and power.

As Tall Paul said on May 7 "The Division 1 Jeeps team were a excellent against the doggies boys, leading the way for a good part of the game. I think a few reserves would have been welcome on the Jeeps bench, but was told afterwards that bother teams have some keys players out to injury."

So it was the story for Easts who struggle to put best side on the field and had the lose to the Hog team in semi finale.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting read people. So safe to say then Wests do well in 15s by all accounts. Are there other teams in other age groups that offer these same dominance as Wests does or are they a rare thing. Just interested to know what's been going on in junior land from the suggested forum age groups

Owen Gary

Frank Row (1)
Interesting read people. So safe to say then Wests do well in 15s by all accounts. Are there other teams in other age groups that offer these same dominance as Wests does or are they a rare thing. Just interested to know what's been going on in junior land from the suggested forum age groups

Where is my old chum GO, one of the last tiddly-winking leapfroggers from the golden summer of 1914 you know?

The old blighter knows his junior rugger and all the young scallywags playing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Can't see anyone getting close to Sunnybank in Div 1 U14.

U14.JPG

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do you mean the Team lists on Rugbylink. I see 1 boy from the Green team suddenly appeared on the trial day, but it looks like he continued to play till the finals. Can't find any others yet.
Yer I went through it, couple of boys from Easts are not listed at all in Easts team, kid from Souths appears after trials, as stated above, think you need to play at least half the round games before the trial day, so something dodgy there? Was some talk of this at the state titles too.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
Yer I went through it, couple of boys from Easts are not listed at all in Easts team, kid from Souths appears after trials, as stated above, think you need to play at least half the round games before the trial day, so something dodgy there? Was some talk of this at the state titles too.

The Souths boy made the City team, what about the other 2 boys??

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
Oh! Tyrells little buddy, sorry overrated big time.
Yes the other 2 are also in city.

I gather you are not a fan then. So the kid has a direct line through Tyrell then?? Might have to go watch this game this afternoon to see what all the fuss is about.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Watched 16's and country were to good, city to slow up front and were lucky they didn't get blown off the park, don't know why their city coach goes with big ball running forwards, failed last year and failed again. Note you need workers mate, boys who toil away in the ruck all game, have hold or win the ball first. Ring in players didn't work, either, maybe next time pick the kids who actually played in the BJRU season.

Status
Not open for further replies.