• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Selection criteria for the "+6" appears to have been the ability to get to Hamilton today & with no more than a three-hour flight required. It's a slightly better way of doing it than SCW bringing 44 to begin with & having predetermined "A" & "B" lineups but the end result is pretty much the same i.e. 23 guys who know they're only getting a Test if someone breaks down or has an absolute 'mare.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Christ the Maori were awful. Picked a crazy attacking backline then just kicked the ball away for the entire first half. Doesn't bode well for the Chiefs Interstellar Overdrive Hyperspace gig once Cooper takes over next year.

Meanwhile they barely got past their own five metre line in the second half. Though I guess they can take some solace that they didn't completely break once the Lions really cranked up the pressure -- like Samoa did on Friday.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Who was the idiot in another thread who said Naholo, Savea and B.Smith as back 3? All the Lions do is kick it to you and wait til you drop the fucker AKA The Morne Steyn Experience. NZ will have to call in the Bomb Squad, that being B.Smith, I.Dagg and C.Jane.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I thought the Lions went well, they has a game plan that obviously relied on giving the MABs a torrid time in the forwards and then pressure shit out of the backs. I wasn't really surprised with the result, or how the game panned out, and I quite happy to see the tour set up for the tests real nicely. My only other thought was as I had suggested the Lions put the heat on DMac, and he couldn't perhaps respond as he would of wanted, and BB can expect a torrid time next week, (actually think it will be kind of game that Cruden is suited to), but let's bring it on.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Lions Tour Diary Day 18

Mummy. I don’t mean to unduly alarm you but, last night, down here in the jungled colonies, I, Tarquin Bellsop-Windsor XIII, of House Cambridge-Upon-Eton-Upon-Cambridge-Upon-Ballcock, I, close consort & confidante of Black Teddy of House Fuzzy, had a near brush with death.

Mummy.

Are you sitting down?

Please brace yourself.

During one of the natives pre-rugger-match dance routines one of their tribal leaders started running towards me with bug-eyed terror in his eyes while brandishing a blimen wooden club!

He looked ever so cross! I thought, this is it Tarqers, the whole dashed tour party are going in the pot. Luckily though, the rugger match started before they could wheel the pot out. Also lucky in that the savages rugger team appeared to be just a highly-trained dance troupe with little rugby knowledge.

Love,

--Tarquers.

ps, mummy, my billets Hemi & Rangi insist I am, and I quote a “homo”, or a homosexual in our parlance, due to my love for Teddy. Mummy, is the love I have for Teddy so, so wrong in todays world? It’s not like he has a daddy prong or anything.

psp, mummy, does Teddy have a daddy prong? I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find one on him.

pspp, Mummy, please have Jeeves send me a sew-on daddy prong for Teddy.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lions way too strong. Like the Crusaders game Murray was sensational. The Lions forwards completely dominated and played to their strengths very smartly.

On the other hand the Maori were very poor. The only Maori player to enhance their reputation was Akira Ioane. He was very strong in a smashed back - very impressive. Otherwise there was a lot of very poor - DMac, TKB and Lowe had their worst games of the season. Strange to pick DMac at 10 and then try and play a kicking game - should have picked Otere at 10 if you wanted to do that.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Wow, the Dismal One advocating Izzy D's selection in the New Zealand Rugby Football XV. I guess we really are living in an age of signs & wonders :).
Clear blueprint now. AB’s will need to field any prick who can catch the rugby football in the rain. Fuck flash we need to defuse the bombs first. Lions must be thinking ffs, we have the ball in their 22 for the entire match, versus some scratch pick-up team, and still cant engineer a single damn try thru the hands. Fuck ya then, we’ll just pray for rain, pray you drop our 10 million up and unders, pray our tight 5 can bully yours, pray we can boot it out, pray for more rain, pray for rolling mauls inside the 5, pray for Tarquin, pray for Teddy, and if that don’t work, pray the IRB let us use all 46 subs.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
DMac, TKB and Lowe had their worst games of the season.
Pretty mad occasion for so many Chiefs to shit the bed. TKB was rattled as hell. I didn’t even know he could actually play that stupidly. Lowe with shit kick after shit kick. Messam looked like a club player. Wonder how many will back up on Tuesday? I’m guessing they’ll all want to and will pray its dry so they can BRING THE MOTHERFUCKING KITCHEN SINK TO A KNIFE FIGHT, PAGING CAPTAIN KIRK, PERMISSION TO TAKE IT TO INTERGALACTIC HYPERDRIVE SPACEMURDER WITH A SIDE ORDER OF SOME KLINGON ANAL PROBING SIR

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Permission granted! Just to clarify, are the Klingons the anal probers or probees?

Chiefs (15-1): Shaun Stevenson, Toni Pulu, Tim Nanai-Williams, Johnny Fa'auli, Solomon Alaimalo, Stephen Donald (c), Finlay Christie, Tom Sanders, Lachlan Boshier, Mitch Brown, Michael Allardice, Dominic Bird, Nepo Laulala, Liam Polwart, Siegfried Fisiihoi. Reserves (16-23): Hika Elliot, Aidan Ross, Atu Moli, Liam Messam, Mitch Karpik, Jonathan Taumateine, Luteru Laulala, Chase Tiatia.

Duck gets the (c) in his 100th Chiefs appearance (also captained v Wales last year):

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11878737

Lowe's shoulder presumably keeping him out've the 23 but I'm wondering why no DMac, perhaps he didn't have enough of a 'mare to put him totally out of contention for Eden Park?

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lowe's shoulder presumably keeping him out've the 23 but I'm wondering why no DMac, perhaps he didn't have enough of a 'mare to put him totally out of contention for Eden Park?

DMac isnt in the AB squad or even the 5 injury cover players so he's not in contention for Eden Park unless he buys a ticket.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ yeah, it just doesn't make sense unless he's injured or wanted elsewhere is all.

EDIT: stuff are now reporting he's been left out due to a neck injury he picked up Saturday. Mystery (such as it was) solved, nothing to see here, move along, people :).

British and Irish Lions (15-1): Liam Williams, Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Elliot Daly, Dan Biggar, Greig Laidlaw, CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric, James Haskell, Courtney Lawes, Iain Henderson, Dan Cole, Rory Best (captain), Joe Marler. Reserves (16-23): Kristian Dacey, Allan Dell, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Gareth Davies, Finn Russell, Tommy Seymour.

So pretty much the XV from last Tuesday with all six newbies on the bench. Makes their Test team fairly easy to pick, barring injuries etc. of course.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Lions were more than ready to play. I was impressed with their ability to stick to their game plan and harass all evening. After TKB's brain explosion the Lions were ruthless in exploiting the Maori. Good stuff.

Maori forwards seemed off the pace all game, which made it difficult for their backs to do anything. However, the high ball taking of the back three of the MAB was highly unusual. Not often you can accuse a NZ side of any sort of having worse basic skills than their Northern Hemisphere opposition.

At any rate as they say in the NFL 'On to Pittsburgh'

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chiefs v B&IL match officials:

Referee: Jérôme Garcès
Assistant Referees: Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Romain Poite (France)
TMO: Ian Smith (Australia)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ that's the troika doing all the Tests so I'm wondering if that means Smith is TMO for them? If so I hope he gets his timing better re: when to tell the ref there's something that needs reviewing than what we saw on Saturday. Plus reading up on what constitutes a knock on, of course.......

Big day in the Tron with street closures from late arvo & something like 1,500 camper vans expected. Nephew currently working next to one of the park-up sites reports there were 12 lined up at the gate at 7am yesterday & getting on for 50 had arrived when he knocked off.