• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is definitely the challenge to adding subscribers. For a lot of people you need to be interested in the NZ games and test matches not involving Australia in particular to justify subscribing.

Hopefully most people who have Foxtel/Kayo predominantly for rugby will move across.

Another challenge with cost is that those wanting to move across for the rugby won't necessarily be keen to drop Foxtel/Kayo because they are interested in other sports still there.

Nine dosent need to worry about that one. They will get a very high percentage of Fox Rugby Subscribers move over to Stan. We have been paying subscription for years to watch rugby - we dont know any other way.

But I agree, Club rugby unlikely to be a major subscription driver - clearly Nine using that as a content filler .

Don think Mrs Badge will surrender Fox without a fight. Nothing to do with Sport though

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bugger as I would only want Netflix or Stan for movies etc

just use Telstra Box office on demand and get any movie you want for $6

I dont know how much time anyone has for watching these platforms. I might watch 10 movies a year all on Box office. Only the one that are highly rated.

Seems that Nexflix is more about the TV Series

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You are missing out, IMO often way better to watch than soup or wobs.

Without this level being strong you have zero chance of having a strong provincial level.

I am really hoping Nine will step up the coverage of club

I actually agree wholeheartedly with this. I just don't wanna watch it, personally. Soup and Internationals meets my rugby needs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I miss Red Zone for NFL and considered NFL network but it is pretty expensive.

Losing Red Zone sucked.

This year is the first year I've subscribed to NFL Game Pass and it is definitely expensive (cost me $275 for the season).

If you follow certain teams you could be pretty happy with Foxtel and get to watch your team every couple of weeks. I'm a Buffalo Bills fan so they are lucky to get 3 televised games a season. With Game Pass I can watch every week.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm in the same boat. It's easy for me, as I'm not on social media (FB etc), don't really watch much live TV (except the odd rugby game), and can turn the news off when it comes on the radio.

yeh, social media is a big problem. Halftime scores and fulltime scores just appear in your feed

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
How do you protect yourself from the score?

Three step process:
1. I don't look at my phone.
2. I avoid any discussion about the rugby if out.
3. I lock myself in a room with a glass of red in front of the TV when I get home.

Even if I do find out the score I still like to watch the games. But not everyone is like that I guess.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The best thing about the replay of games in SA was not touching my phone while I watched the games. I actually try and keep off my phone during games, but sometimes it's hard to resist.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Two things I'd like to highlight from the article:

1) Her first statement looks to be about as accurate as anything Trump has said all week.
I come to this site for the rugby commentary and debate, not cheap political point scoring.
Yes some others do it too, but the days of a dedicated thread to climate change have long gone so perhaps take that as a hint to leave American politics out of it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I come to this site for the rugby commentary and debate, not cheap political point scoring.
Yes some others do it too, but the days of a dedicated thread to climate change have long gone so perhaps take that as a hint to leave American politics out of it.

To be fair, making reference to Trump’s habitual lying is not so much expressing a political opinion, but rather pointing out an everyday scientific fact............ such as the earth is round, and Discipline is the best King Crimson album.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, let’s not get into an political debate, clearly people have strong opinions both ways, so don’t antagonise

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hugh Marks resigns as CEO of Nine. Hopefully doesn't change anything, he was saying all the right things last week.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hugh Marks resigns as CEO of Nine. Hopefully doesn't change anything, he was saying all the right things last week.

Might be a good target for RA to succeed Clarke. Would be a step down in pay but could be at least an outside chance.