• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Surely if you are going to commentate on the game you could read the laws. It's not that hard. Even sit the level 1 referee exam.

World Rugby and RA also put out directives for referees each year that they should read. Shows them what areas they will be focusing on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think I said this on one of our podcasts - perhaps of a re-listen of an old game I maintain he's a good commentator. Gets a little brash and loud, but is very astute

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
More than the coaches, what we could use are the rugby analysts - generally the more tech guys advising the coach. Those blokes would be good in commentary.

Not sure about you but all the tech guys I've worked with much prefer sitting in the dark corner of the room learning how to VPN netflix in Algeria than have a public speaking role.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think I said this on one of our podcasts - perhaps of a re-listen of an old game I maintain he's a good commentator. Gets a little brash and loud, but is very astute

Pass on Marto.

Perhaps it time to actually see what the next generation of Rugby supporters find entertaining. Go ask your kids to show you the 2020 finals replays of Fortnite, League of Legends or Overwatch. Fortnite had 2.3 million tune in, league of legends had 3.8 million and overwatch 1.55m.

Watch 5 minutes of one of those games and what sounds different. Commentators actually know something about the players other than reading out their height and weight, they tell us something more about the environment other than "there's a bit of dew on the ground".

More importantly, why would your 10-15 year old want to watch and listen to another version of their 'dad' reminisce about the good old days.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm an old timer these days. Here is what I want.

I want our commentators to take the time to learn the proper pronounciation of players names.
I want our commentators to know the laws of the game and not talk a bout soft Reds when the ref has followed the correct protocols.
I want our commentators to have played the modern game and not have played in the same era as me.
I want our commentators to realise I'm here for the rugby and not their cunning wit or good looks.
I want our commentators to be smart like Goog Harrison and not smart like Rod Kafer. Don't ask me what the difference is I don't know.
I want our main caller to become a legend of the gamewho people will talk about long after his death in hushed tones. I think Reg could do it.

Is that too much to ask?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I'm an old timer these days. Here is what I want.

I want our main caller to become a legend of the gamewho people will talk about long after his death in hushed tones. I think Reg could do it./quote]
I thought you wanted someone that could pronounce players names :D

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We need a main caller that is closer to Andrew Voss and not Greg Clark’s boring monotone narration level but not at the Voss extreme

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I’m actually pretty surprised so many people put a large emphasis on the commentary team, regardless of the sport I don’t listen to the commentary 3/4 of the time and it doesn’t really bother me what they’re saying

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’m actually pretty surprised so many people put a large emphasis on the commentary team, regardless of the sport I don’t listen to the commentary 3/4 of the time and it doesn’t really bother me what they’re saying
If you want to catch neutral viewers you are going to need someone who can explain what's going on.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A lot happens out of shot - injured players, subs, wide spaced attackers, fights: commentary is essential just for those moments let alone authoritative analysis.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A lot happens out of shot - injured players, subs, wide spaced attackers, fights: commentary is essential just for those moments let alone authoritative analysis.

Completely - mind you the camera operation could be reconsidered too. For example, it amazes me the number of people commenting on a players positional ability at FB when the review comes from the telecast. The two rarely connect well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I want our commentators to know the laws of the game and not talk a bout soft Reds when the ref has followed the correct protocols.

I feel like they all know this but their instant reaction is to downplay an incident as if that is somehow a better option and them talking about it like that might have an influence on the sanction.

This undermines the referee and makes people who don't know better think that the referees are ruining the game.

Talk the audience through the issue, explain it against the protocols, why it might be a red but whether there is enough mitigating circumstances to make it a yellow etc.

Lastly, blame the player for getting it wrong.

Just like if there are lots of penalties, talk about the infringing by the players causing the penalties, rather than the referee having too much impact on the game.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I’ve written this a couple of times before and I know not everyone agrees, but I reckon Sean Maloney would be a good get. Particularly with this recent Nine/Stan news - I’d be having him on each weeks free to air telecast. Maybe not as the lead (for that, perhaps the excellent Andrew Swain? I know he’s at Fox but he’d be brilliant to get over) but as the colour commentary. I think he brings a great fun element which casual fans would enjoy.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I’ve written this a couple of times before and I know not everyone agrees, but I reckon Sean Maloney would be a good get. Particularly with this recent Nine/Stan news - I’d be having him on each weeks free to air telecast. Maybe not as the lead (for that, perhaps the excellent Andrew Swain? I know he’s at Fox but he’d be brilliant to get over) but as the colour commentary. I think he brings a great fun element which casual fans would enjoy.

Yeah he's also part of the other rugby show on rugbypass which I enjoy. A show in that ilk would be great for the coverage