• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Was never a fan of James Haskell, but I find myself enjoying him on House of Rugby on youtube, spent more time this year watching House of Rugby and house of Rugby Ireland than anything from here.

They both have even managed decent shows during Covid with good guests.

Irish one is now hosted by Eimear Considine, one of the Irish women's players. They also had an all women commentary team for one of the Pro 14 games a few weeks ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was never a fan of James Haskell, but I find myself enjoying him on House of Rugby on youtube, spent more time this year watching House of Rugby and house of Rugby Ireland than anything from here.

The one with Matt Giteau imitating Eddie Jones is so good.

Starts at about the 27 minute mark.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I've seen AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s name being thrown around by a few journos, but how much experience has he had in commentating?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Well..after 25 years this weekend marks the last rugby union game we will possibly ever watch on Foxtel

I will be calling Foxtel on Sunday to try to get a discount. I renewed my contract so I could watch the Rugby that they will no longer be showing.

I don't actually want to cancel as I would miss too much sporting content that I enjoy with NFL, Highly Questionable, PTI, Baseball and NHL.

I wonder if I can get a discount to the equivalent cost of Stan?

I am currently paying $100 for all channels.

Anyone had success getting a discount lately?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I will be calling Foxtel on Sunday to try to get a discount. I renewed my contract so I could watch the Rugby that they will no longer be showing.

I don't actually want to cancel as I would miss too much sporting content that I enjoy with NFL, Highly Questionable, PTI, Baseball and NHL.

I swapped to Kayo a while ago. It will last until the game this weekend.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)

In April I threatened to pull the pin and the price dropped from about $100 to $40 a month. A mate worked at foxtel and advised me to say you're calling to cancel, the retention team has a lot of leeway to move prices/packages that other help desks don't.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If you’re paying full price for Foxtel you’re paying too much, I’ve cancelled it now, but previously every 12 months I would call and threaten to leave, I’d be adamant about it and say it costs too much. After a bit of back and forth they would then agree to reduce my fees for the next 12 months, I would reluctantly agree and we would move on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

If you just want the sport channels, ditch Foxtel and get Kayo for $25 per month............

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thing about Kayo is you can get HD for much cheaper then you can on Foxtel, which I find ridiculous.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Where are you watching the Pro14 at the moment. I used to use Rugby Pass but they lost the rights to the Pro14 and Europe

I'm actually curious about this too, does anyone know who has all the various rugby rights for the AU region next year?

* Wallabies / Super Rugby / Club Rugby - 9 / STAN
* Mitre10 / Currie Cup - will this be 9 / STAN?
* Pro14 - ? (Used to be RugbyPass)
* English Premiership - Fox??
* OS Internationals (6 Nations etc..) - BeIN/Fox??

... I'm also curious about the MLR, and how you'd go about seeing that in AU?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm actually curious about this too, does anyone know who has all the various rugby rights for the AU region next year?

* Wallabies / Super Rugby / Club Rugby - 9 / STAN
* Mitre10 / Currie Cup - will this be 9 / STAN?
* Pro14 - ? (Used to be RugbyPass)
* English Premiership - Fox??
* OS Internationals (6 Nations etc..) - BeIN/Fox??

. I'm also curious about the MLR, and how you'd go about seeing that in AU?
All MLR games are live on YouTube in Australia

It’d be nice if Stan could get the rights to them all, I also thought Fox missed a trick by not having the Premiership highlights show.

Stan would also do well to get some documentaries to educate people on the past, educate people on the history and past to build connection with the game. The chasing the sun doco would be a good entry point to help launch the rugby program.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
See ya later Foxtel Rugby!

I usually enjoy watching Rugby on Fox despite all the poor commentary but tonight especially annoyed me and it was Kearns that got me livid.

His commentary in relation to Hooper's carding was ridiculous, he was a forward who should be aware of the ongoing issues with CTE and head contact yet he is at pains to tell viewers that the point of contact was not the shoulder but the upper arm, forgetting to point out that the point of contact was still with the bloody head!!

He then jokes about soccer players taking a dive but minutes later when White takes a dive that would have done Maradona proud there is silence.

I wont miss him broadcasting from next year. Mocking head contact, potential concussion and CTE makes me livid, a commentator is meant to promote the game and the safety that is built into the rules.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
He then jokes about soccer players taking a dive but minutes later when White takes a dive that would have done Maradona proud there is silence.
I quite enjoyed the soccer dive joke and would have been happy for another one at White's expense.
The game certainly wasn't providing me with much enjoyment.