• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I quite enjoyed the soccer dive joke and would have been happy for another one at White's expense.
The game certainly wasn't providing me with much enjoyment.
White needs to shave his moustache off. It is hard to take a player seriously when he looks for all the world like Manuel ("Fawlty Towers").

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From Greg Clark on twitter: "I haven’t hung up the microphone .. so see you in 2021. Clarkie"

I wonder what the odds are of him being one of the callers on Stan?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
The FORMER front man Tim McArdle would be better than the FORMER caller of rugby at fox Clarke! Wouldn't it be a great time to start afresh?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The FORMER front man Tim McArdle would be better than the FORMER caller of rugby at fox Clarke! Wouldn't it be a great time to start afresh?

Nick McCardle?

Hard to say that seeing as to my knowledge he's never called a game in his life.

If they're looking at an established game caller they're really looking at Clark, Maloney, Swain and Bray as the only ones in Australia above club rugby level.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Nick McCardle?

Hard to say that seeing as to my knowledge he's never called a game in his life.

If they're looking at an established game caller they're really looking at Clark, Maloney, Swain and Bray as the only ones in Australia above club rugby level.

And Reg Roberts!!!!!

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Maloney has the ability to do the over the top, sensationalist sort of call that the Australian public are used to hearing when watching Rugby League, and to a lesser extent AFL. Not that that’s a bad thing

I like Clarke but don’t think his style of calling or demeanour is going to be anywhere near as effective as Maloney

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Maloney has the ability to do the over the top, sensationalist sort of call that the Australian public are used to hearing when watching Rugby League, and to a lesser extent AFL. Not that that’s a bad thing

I like Clarke but don’t think his style of calling or demeanour is going to be anywhere near as effective as Maloney

Yeah you need someone to balance out the excitement of Maloney

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Nick McCardle?

I think he tried to do colour commentary and hosting with Maloney quite a few years ago. I think it was a double header and through sickness and lack of staff he was required. From memory this was before they expanded their colour commentary team from just being Kearns and Martin.

I cannot recall if he was any good.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
From Greg Clark on twitter: "I haven’t hung up the microphone .. so see you in 2021. Clarkie"

I am happy with this if it occurs, he has never annoyed me and does not come off as being biased towards any team, which is rare for Foxtel. He never appeared to favour his son or show extra concern when his son got hit hard or injured which showed his professionalism.

I wonder if he is talking about Super Rugby? COuld he be taking Maloney's role with IRB?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am happy with this if it occurs, he has never annoyed me and does not come off as being biased towards any team, which is rare for Foxtel. He never appeared to favour his son or show extra concern when his son got hit hard or injured which showed his professionalism.

I wonder if he is talking about Super Rugby? COuld he be taking Maloney's role with IRB?
I think Clarke is fine and nine / Stan should consider him

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Left field, wondering if they try to get Sumo Stevenson from NZ, he went to Spark when they got WC, but Spark are selling their sports back to sky, so Sumo maybe looking for a job? Good commentator and like Maloney got a personality that is not too bad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Left field, wondering if they try to get Sumo Stevenson from NZ, he went to Spark when they got WC, but Spark are selling their sports back to sky, so Sumo maybe looking for a job? Good commentator and like Maloney got a personality that is not too bad.

Sumo is pretty much my favourite rugby commentator. A good game caller, expert knowledge and has a razor sharp wit.

If he wants to follow in the footsteps of Aussie Steve Walsh and move over here, he's very welcome!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Beth Newman is now at the Sydney morning herald. Not surprised that they hired her while in the process of securing the rights to Union.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sumo is pretty much my favourite rugby commentator. A good game caller, expert knowledge and has a razor sharp wit.

If he wants to follow in the footsteps of Aussie Steve Walsh and move over here, he's very welcome!

;) Does that mean he has to get on the turps etc and get canned first?? :D

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I suspect Clarke might be heading to the MLR, seems to be talking a lot about that on social media.