• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I am a bit worried about the future without Foxtel, as much as I was not at all happy with the product they offered. No doubt the STAN coverage will pick up some new viewers, but the older (probably pretty affluent) segment of the rugby audience might find it all a bit too difficult. From what I can see on the FTA guides, the one game every week will be on NineNOW, which also takes a bit of fiddling around to access.

Hopefully there are net pluses at the end of the day. We have had to buy a new smart TV because our current Samsung does not support STAN.
Its actually incredibly easy. If you are capable of following a three step process you can access any streaming content via a chromecast or smart tv.

If three steps really is beyond 'older' Australians then you can just use a browser and access it in two.

This 'too hard for old people' line is really just about people being too lazy to learn a simple new process to access entertainment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Its actually incredibly easy. If you are capable of following a three step process you can access any streaming content via a chromecast or smart tv.

If three steps really is beyond 'older' Australians then you can just use a browser and access it in two.

This 'too hard for old people' line is really just about people being too lazy to learn a simple new process to access entertainment.

Mmmm. Lazy, eh? Has it occurred to you that some older people think that they have earned the right to be as lazy as they like? Technology is here to serve us, not the other way around.

For the record, as I said previously, we are waiting for the delivery of our new telly, an LG OLED. But we will still do the vast bulk of our viewing via Foxtel. It is easier.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Mmmm. Lazy, eh? Has it occurred to you that some older people think that they have earned the right to be as lazy as they like? Technology is here to serve us, not the other way around.

For the record, as I said previously, we are waiting for the delivery of our new telly, an LG OLED. But we will still do the vast bulk of our viewing via Foxtel. It is easier.

Mate you deserve to do it how ever you want. I use a fetch box because Im lazy, and a cheap skat, I literally don't use disney plus because I need to turn on my computer (that is already hooked up to my telly) and browse to the account my brother gave me. I will wait till they have the app on the fetch box. I hated having to start my computer and use Kayo ... so its great rugby moved to Stan... I just hope the current App on Fetch supports the sports package.. Suck if it didn't.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Earned the right to be lazy eh. That's a new one.

'Us' doesn't mean old people, it means everyone. And streaming services have taken off.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

Pretty ignorant comment

it can be incredibly difficult to teach an older person to navigate technology in a way they aren't used to, things we take take as commonplace can be so foreign to them

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
With great respect to everyone (and I think at 65 I probably fall into the 'old' category) there are very few people who couldn't learn it if they really wanted to make the effort to learn.
My late father, left school at 15 and lived his life in the bush, learnt to operate the internet, and in fact used to trade shares online, in his 80's.

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are octogenarians, or more accurately non internet using octogenarians, high on the target market list? Or a good example where the FTA component comes in?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
“As we put together the investment and the plans to launch Stan, we always had what we referred to as a multi-horizon strategy,” Sneesby said this week. “That talked to the key things we would need to achieve in the business over time.

“In what we referred to as Horizon Three, there was a world where we anticipated Stan would reach an important point of scale, profitability and positive cash flow. As a result of that we would be in a position to consider live streaming. And streaming with a product outside of entertainment which is what Stan has been best known for.

“In those early days, without specifically talking about sport, live streaming and the ability to grow our product set has always been part of the long-term strategy.”

“Acquiring broadcast rights and paying the money for those rights is one thing. At the end of the day, we need to put that sport in front of an audience that gives it growth and builds it over time. The model of building a sport and giving it a bigger audience creates value for us as a broadcaster and also creates value back to the sport itself. We are uniquely positioned to do that like no other business in Australia.”

Sneesby is not yet ready to reveal how many subscribers Stan Sports initially needs. “We will set ourselves a very clear target and we have done our homework on how that target is achievable. As has always been the case with Stan, we expect to be hitting those targets next year. Early indications from social media and the way consumers are reacting to the proposition as we reveal more about it, has been extremely positive.”

Stan has a lot of data from existing subscribers on how they respond to content on the platform, something that has helped plan the delivery of live sport. “In bringing this product to market we have been able to settle on the price point of $10 a month. Some of our subscribers with a keen eye might have noticed several weeks over the summer many subscribers were presented with the proposition of Stan Sport at a range of different prices to test what consumers thought would be the right amount. We have chosen $10 because we know it is what consumers want.”

Stan Sport doesn’t have a shopping list of other sports its needs to add quickly, said Sneesby. “There isn’t a need to us to go and acquire a barrage of sport in order for our proposition to work. We are servicing fan bases for rugby and tennis. If opportunities come along to grow that we will look at them. The business model works. This [month] is not about launching Stan Sport, this is about launching rugby. When it comes to time for Wimbledon and Roland Garros, it will be about tennis.”

Stan Sport will be completely ad-free. However, some of the integration that Nine sells for its rugby coverage will also be carried on Stan. “The sponsors that are attracted to rugby on Nine add a lot of value to the professionalism of the game. We feel comfortable if some brands are seen during our broadcast. There will be no ads though.”

Sneesby: “One of the important things for us in launching Stan, particularly when the category was brand new, was to make sure there was a differentiation. To make sure consumers knew the difference between what was FTA TV funded through an advertising model and what was subscription television funded through subscriber payments.

“The ability we have now for live streaming, with sport or other events, naturally means there will be great opportunities. WWOS is the entire back end of the operation of this broadcast. This is probably the biggest joint initiative between Stan and Nine since we launched. In the world of live broadcasting, there is no better company in Australia than Nine. As we explore the future of live streaming on Stan you can bet Nine will be an important part of that.”

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/mike-s...t-settled-on-10-plans-to-expand-nine-sharing/

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Stan are kicking some butt... Im excited.. I believe we will be front and centre, and that was always an issue with foxtel

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think the biggest risk for union on Stan will be at the next league media deal. If 9 thinks this streaming thing works and throw the kitchen sink to get all the league, union will potentially disappear again. It gives a window for union to show 9 what it can do

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the biggest risk for union on Stan will be at the next league media deal. If 9 thinks this streaming thing works and throw the kitchen sink to get all the league, union will potentially disappear again. It gives a window for union to show 9 what it can do

Not sure that I agree with this. Nein have pretty big pockets.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Are octogenarians, or more accurately non internet using octogenarians, high on the target market list? Or a good example where the FTA component comes in?

Probably yes under the foxtel model as those viewers seem more captive to it. No under the Stan model. The companies know which viewers they can sell the game to. Stan wouldn't see the non-attraction of a minority group of late-or-non-adapters as being too detrimental to their overall sales. They also are almost irrelevant to advertisers as even if they are affluent, their needs are quite niche - just listen to 3AW after 8:30pm - it's cemeteries, funerals and aged care ads.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

If Nein can position themselves as the guys who support both codes of "real footy" then it gives them a healthy market share. Particularly the streaming aspect where the channels are unlimited.

I'd reconsider in the event they jack up the price to cover league, of course.

Testra changing their sport streaming strategy is a blow to those they supported, and alters the landscape a little.

Will we see 5-10 year rights packages in future? I reckon not.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Disney launch Star in a couple of weeks which will bring together all of their movie/TV content from 20th century Fox, FX, Touchstone, ESPN+ etc................

It will eventually have repercussions for all of the other streaming services, but when the contracts on those programs expire on Foxtel, they’re a tad fucked.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm pessimistically nervous. We've got all we asked for with being in the spotlight and on FTA. What happens now if nothing improves??