• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I registered for Stan last weekend and now have Stan and also clicked the Stan sport but can’t see anything for stan sport — is there something we should see at this stage

I don’t think so - considering there is no content yet and the official launch date is next weekend I wouldn’t think it will update until then

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Damn love it. Good on them for trying new things.

However, local changes are a two-edged sword. The success or failure of the Wobbs is, to my mind, the most important determinate in the popularity of the game here. The further our domestic comps diverge from the international rules the greater the possibility that our national team will under-perform. Like it or not (and I do not particularly like it) we have to have a national team that can perform and win at NH rugby when we are playing against that sort of opposition, under those sort of conditions.

We have to have halves, wingers, and full backs who can kick, and catch, under all sorts of conditions, against all sorts of opposition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However, local changes are a two-edged sword. The success or failure of the Wobbs is, to my mind, the most important determinate in the popularity of the game here. The further our domestic comps diverge from the international rules the greater the possibility that our national team will under-perform. Like it or not (and I do not particularly like it) we have to have a national team that can perform and win a NH rugby when they are playing against that sort of opposition, under those sort of conditions.

We have to have halves, wingers, and full backs who can kick, and catch, under all sorts of conditions, against all sorts of opposition.

All the experimental laws in place don't fundamentally change any aspect of the game which is the key.

I agree with you that we can't diverge too far from the actual laws of the game that we will use at international level but these are fine. They are all approved variations and based on history, there's a reasonable prospect that some of these will become part of the laws of the game in the future.

We do need to be able to kick well in general play and if anything, having a couple of laws that provide an advantage for a good kick could encourage that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last night, I saw a big "Stan the new home of Rugby" billboard on main intersection near home in south eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

mate, I am seeing it everywhere! Can't get away from it. Perhaps its the old red car rule.

Walked past four posters in a row at Central Station. Michael Hooper, Grace Hamilton, Taniela Tupou, Grace Hamilton. Love it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
mate, I am seeing it everywhere! Can't get away from it. Perhaps its the old red car rule.

Walked past four posters in a row at Central Station. Michael Hooper, Grace Hamilton, Taniela Tupou, Grace Hamilton. Love it.

There was a really good long as played in prime time on 9 here in Sydney. Really pushing all the elements that make Rugby great. It's been a really refreshing experience to see the game actually advertised extensively for once.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The further our domestic comps diverge from the international rules the greater the possibility that our national team will under-perform.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/su...-for-2021-season/VXD57JA6W7RZ5Q6VNOZKKMLYCY/#

Anyway, I would think the changes to 20-40 (or whatever is called) actually has a positive impact on our players. It causes them to have heads up to see where the opposition players are, if there's an opportunity to run they can take it, or if it allows for a kick it gives them an opportunity kick.

The Australian public moans whenever our players kick the ball (how many times have you heard "run it straight" at club level?) so they shy away from it. But most importantly, we had a coach that tried to out run a clearing kick.

Kicking can be entertaining so long as there are chasers to put pressure on the receiver. I love seeing our players execute a well timed tackle on the opposing team.

Reactions: TSR

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)

I’m seeing it all through Brisbane as well. And I’m currently up in Rockhampton for the day for work and saw some big, prominent billboards along the main strip too. AND lots of ads pushing it during the tennis on 9 last night. GO RUGBY!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I like the captain's call idea generally but the scope is too broad: 'Captains will have 10 seconds after a try is scored to challenge anything since the last stoppage.'

There can be huge gaps between stops in play. There is nothing worse than calling back a try for something that happened many phases prior.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)

Reg I am still working from home so other than going to a couple of BBL games and the Aus Open tennis on Monday I haven't been out much. I haven't been into the Melbourne CBD proper. But I was happy to see the ad in the suburbs last night.

I believe there are posters at Southern Cross (Spencer Street) train station. Good to see the promotion by 9 and Stan and that the promotions are also happening in Melbourne. Often in the past you wouldn't know Super Rugby or the Rebels existed in terms of promotion in Melbourne.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
A number of Stan Rugby ads during the Nick Kyrgios match. Imagine how many people were watching that match. Tremendous exposure. (Although may not necessarily be a cross over between some Kyrgios fans and Rugby fans).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Stan Sport Ad featuring Hooper on Windsor road LED billboard near Bella Vista station on my infrequent trip to work. There's a fair bit of traffic flow under there , even in Covidia.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Lol but probably lot of people not seeing the billboards as still not able to go to the office and working from home until end of June....I am so over working from home....zoom....