• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Not sure if it’s already been mentioned , but watching the Australian Open tennis on channel 9 tonight and have been smiling at the ads for watching rugby on Stan .

Free to air is what rugby missed out on when it had a chance to grow an audience, Foxtel can get fucked !

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Did say the other week I had seen no advertising in Melbourne and boy I have been on the road a bit this week and I think I have seen 20 odd billboards. Absolutely nuts, would of liked Stan and the Rebels to work together so they could try and sell the club as well but the level of exposure is amazing. Only time I have seen any adds for super rugby was the year the rebels came in

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I could work from home until the day i die.

A-fucking-men.

The only thing I miss about working from home is the in person human interaction. Otherwise like you happy to work from home.

The value of human interaction is offset by the amount of sheer fucking dickheadery within that cohort, but my work is in a large corporate campus-style building.

For example, instead of just being able to sit at my desk and swear at a piece of code that isn't executing, I have to look like work is the best thing that could ever befall me.

giphy.gif

Or let's say I want to practice the art of staring at the ceiling for 30 minutes to just think about a problem? No, it is far better to walk around the entire office, achieving sweet fuck all in terms of productivity, and announce how busy I am. Yes, that is certainly the best use of my time.

giphy.gif

No, GAGR brothers, sisters, and others of all kinds, work from home is my happy place, and fuck anyone who says otherwise, right in the nostrils.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As a teacher working from home just doesn't work. Hats off to those teachers in Melbourne who had to do it for 26 weeks. I struggled with doing 5.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As a teacher working from home just doesn't work. Hats off to those teachers in Melbourne who had to do it for 26 weeks. I struggled with doing 5.

You're a champion.

File "Teaching Career" under "No fucking way could I do that".

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes the marketing mandate for Stan seems to be marketing Rugby the game, not necessarily the individual comps or teams at this stage.

Makes sense for them, blast the nation with generic RUGBY RUGBY RUGBY campaign, get people interested in what is happening with the sport and then tailor more specific team orientated advertisements in the coming years once the baseline audience is set.

For what its worth I think the Reds have picked up their marketing in the last few weeks as well, lots of membership ads popping up in person and online.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yes the marketing mandate for Stan seems to be marketing Rugby the game, not necessarily the individual comps or teams at this stage.

Makes sense for them, blast the nation with generic RUGBY RUGBY RUGBY campaign, get people interested in what is happening with the sport and then tailor more specific team orientated advertisements in the coming years once the baseline audience is set.

For what its worth I think the Reds have picked up their marketing in the last few weeks as well, lots of membership ads popping up in person and online.

Wonder if this is part of the deal, each Super team gets a spend in the Nine media empire.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wonder if this is part of the deal, each Super team gets a spend in the Nine media empire.

Quite possibly, the franchises would already have media and marketing teams in place, Nine flicks them some dollars to do their own thing and saves on them increasing their headcount.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t know if Nine would give them money, maybe contra advertising factored in for the state unions where they’re given equivalent value on the Nine network, but it would make sense for them to coordinate their marketing strategies to maximise return regardless.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don’t know if Nine would give them money, may be contra advertising factored in for the unions where they’re given equipment value on the Nine network, but it would make sense for them to coordinate their marketing strategies to maximise return.

Using "in-kind" allows a bigger deal than cash alone. Easy. Smart.

After all, how many times can you air ads about the shit broadcast you otherwise have? "I'm A Celebrity Mini-Golf Survivor Who Wants A Wife" isn't sport.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Wasn't part of the Nine deal part payment was in advertising? I can almost bet the costs of all the posters etc that are being seen around cities is coming out of that budget. I like the fact that 9 are part of the rugby landscape , but they are a business and any time they advertise games it will probably be RA that is footing the bill.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wasn't part of the Nine deal part payment was in advertising? I can almost bet the costs of all the posters etc that are being seen around cities is coming out of that budget. I like the fact that 9 are part of the rugby landscape , but they are a business and any time they advertise games it will probably be RA that is footing the bill.

Yeah contra advertising is included in all sports broadcasting agreements, RA aren’t necessarily footing the bill, as it’s revenue RA will never receive, just what the broadcasters have agreed to spend on the product.

In this case though, given the amount of advertising I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s part of a one off marketing spend Stan in launching the Stan Sports product. So may not necessarily be repeated to this level next year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah contra advertising is included in all sports broadcasting agreements, RA aren’t necessarily footing the bill, as it’s revenue RA will never receive, just what the broadcasters have agreed to spend on the product.

In this case though, given the amount of advertising I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s part of a one off marketing spend Stan in launching the Stan Sports product. So may not necessarily be repeated to this level next year.

Not aimed specifically at promoting rugby on STAN, but sports in general on STAN, maybe. As soon as the rusted on rah rahs get their subscriptions the impetus will fall away.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not aimed specifically at promoting rugby on STAN, but sports in general on STAN, maybe. As soon as the rusted on rah rahs get their subscriptions the impetus will fall away.

They're also hammering it now to get tennis fans looking as well given Nine/Stan rights now include Wimbledon and Rolad Garros

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s a bit silly, but I think it’s perfectly aimed at the younger age group, which might align to the SVOD target demographic anyway

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep agree on the visibility of the Stan rugby posters - I had to travel over to Clovelly last week for work and noticed there were bus shelter posters around Narrabeen and also Randwick. Different executions, both featuring Tah's players. Can't remember last time I saw 2 rugby posters in one day. Didn't pay attention along Military Rd but assume there would be some along there too.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
For those that don't already have Stan the website is currently offering a 30 day trial to Stan (ie the base package).