• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sorta expected him to hit us with an obscure fact about how many quokkas can fit in a submarine.

That all depends on whether you're talking about sustainably in a way the life support system can actually support, or whether you're talking purely volume and packing every nook and cranny.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
RugbyPass has picked up the broadcast rights for Super Rugby Aoetearoa for UK and Europe.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-to-watch-super-rugby-aotearoa-in-the-uk-and-ireland/

Bit surprising really as it was first said that SANZAAR was selling all the Super Rugby, TT and TRC as a package
They still are. RugbyPass is owned by SkyNZ of which NZRU is a stakeholder. This will most likely be a situation of pushing your own product than having someone purchase the product from you. I think it’s more a sign that there isn’t the desired money out there in other markets for this year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RugbyPass has picked up the broadcast rights for Super Rugby Aoetearoa for UK and Europe.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-to-watch-super-rugby-aotearoa-in-the-uk-and-ireland/

Bit surprising really as it was first said that SANZAAR was selling all the Super Rugby, TT and TRC as a package

It is correct, but essentially as Rebel3 says there may not be market for super comp, rightly or wrongly in a depressed market there just maybe not an appetite for Super Aus(though if there is Rugby Pass will pick it up) , but just maybe there is for Super Aotearoa, I actually think you will find this is something that NZR is looking at for future , and will see in a few years them actually streaming and having rights to all NZ games. I know they have talked quietly on this for a few years, did a couple of tests through Amazon to Europe, and the Silver Lake deal will have a say in it. There is talk Sean Fitzpatrick is back here in NZ and having conversations about it. I belive by the time a TT comes in (if it does) Aus will be in deal.
It is interesting times we live in.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't really get why Europeans bother with Super Rugby at all. There is so much local sport to consume most of it as good or better than anything we do. Their appetite for content is amazing.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't really get why Europeans bother with Super Rugby at all. There is so much local sport to consume most of it as good or better than anything we do. Their appetite for content is amazing.

You've got a lot of expats and it's the one chance to see current ABs/Wallabies (apart from Giteau Rule or sabbatical) play.

It's an entertaining & open brand of rugby - a change from the grind-it-out style of European club rugby - with enough intensity to keep it interesting (i.e. you could argue Japan Top League is too far in the other direction).

Similar reason as to why so many in this part of the world do the reverse and watch European club football.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep I watch 6N and a fair amount of NH and or SA club rugby, it's funnily enough what a lot of rugby people do, well rugby tragics anyway:(

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So RA agreed to let NZRU go alone on this one as RA believed the financials didn’t stack up enough for them to take the risk. Way i read it is that there was a capital outlay required from the governing union to pay to have Super Rugby broadcast on Rugby Pass, with the governing body then earning a return based on the number of subscriptions.

RA have instead remained in the market for another broadcaster rather then pursuing the rugbypass model.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So RA agreed to let NZRU go alone on this one as RA believed the financials didn’t stack up enough for them to take the risk. Way i read it is that there was a capital outlay required from the governing union to pay to have Super Rugby broadcast on Rugby Pass, with the governing body then earning a return based on the number of subscriptions.

RA have instead remained in the market for another broadcaster rather then pursuing the rugbypass model.

I think also as the comps are basically run by there own unions it wouldn't be same as TT part etc which both would have to sell together.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think also as the comps are basically run by there own unions it wouldn't be same as TT part etc which both would have to sell together.

domestically they do, internationally they’re represented and the rights are sold by SANZAAR, unless a scenario like this happens when the interested parties agree to go a different direction.
If the push ahead with the TT and TRC, then it will be sold by SANZAAR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think the big difference is that as RugbyPass is owned by Sky Sport NZ of which NZRU owns a stake, the venture had quite different financial obligations for NZRU vs RA.

RA would need to pay to be involved and then hope for enough subscriptions that they make a profit out of it. For NZRU it's effectively risk free (albeit they're giving up the ability to sell the rights elsewhere).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the big difference is that as RugbyPass is owned by Sky Sport NZ of which NZRU owns a stake, the venture had quite different financial obligations for NZRU vs RA.

RA would need to pay to be involved and then hope for enough subscriptions that they make a profit out of it. For NZRU it's effectively risk free (albeit they're giving up the ability to sell the rights elsewhere).

NZR would pay same as RA I suspect, they don't have much control at Sky, just a few shares as part payment for rights. It is all what they think will sell. Think we may find ITM cup go same way?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also consistent with their TV deal. Everything with Sky or their subsidiaries makes a lot of sense.

More appetite for NZ rugby overseas too, they obviously see the value in it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would be good if Nine made the FTA game each week region specific. They used to do it for the Friday night NRL, always show the Broncos or QLD team as the live game and have the Sydney derby as the replay afterwards.

I shouldn’t be complaining as we at least have one FTA game now but maybe that’s something they could look at going forward.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Just signed up for the Stan free trial, but when I click on Sport I can’t get any further. Any suggestions?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just signed up for the Stan free trial, but when I click on Sport I can’t get any further. Any suggestions?
Think you need to select what plan you are signing up for ie standard or premium and then add sport. Should be able to do it through the app once you’ve signed up .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hmmm what are you trying on ?
I had issues initially with AppleTV and had to delete and reinstall the app