• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
The news article steers away from implying Vlandys and his dirty tricks are involved, giving him the veneer of plausible deniability, but it's clearly bullshit. He jammed the deal, has invented bogus reasoning for the move being in Tabcorps interest (would reduce betting?? bullshit?? Wouldn't betting increase on a live sport with higher viewership in a pub versus a few geriatric freaks who are watching racing at 6.40pm on a Friday evening??), when he's acting in Rugby League's interest and shouldn't have been able to influence the decision

correction too, Vlandys is CEO of racing NSW (a client of TAB), rather than an executive at TAB itself. So it's not a breach of directors duties but certainly looks anti-competitive to me

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Having the entire catalogue of Super Rugby dating back to 2009 is pretty cool, also all the old internationals. That’s a fair bit of content to pad out their service until they get more sports on board. I can see myself watching some old Reds games from the McKenzie era on a lazy Sunday arvo.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Having the entire catalogue of Super Rugby dating back to 2009 is pretty cool, also all the old internationals. That’s a fair bit of content to pad out their service until they get more sports on board. I can see myself watching some old Reds games from the McKenzie era on a lazy Sunday arvo.

Yeh I was thinking gees I paying for stan to watch one game not on FTA per week but this afternon watching Top league game, so can see how with more content like this will keep rugby people like myself happy.

On a general comment on Stans commentary - very big - and not sure all added value personally. Seems a bit excessive cost wise with all the commentary crew at the centre (not the game callers). But early days so will see how it goes...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also, the Vlandys intervention is just outrageous. It should be a question for the Minister for Sport in NSW - Rugby AU should be backgrounding journalists this week to ask it.

In particular, i think Vlandys' involvement in the decision as a Tabcorp executive is a massive conflict of interest with his role in Rugby league, which could breach his director duties for tabcorp. This Q should absolutely be put to senior ministers in the NSW gov this week

Thank god we don't have a government that's willing to do whatever Fox/Newscorp ask of them. I look forward to a transparent inquiry

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Am in Mackay for work so tried 3 different pubs to watch the Reds game and none were showing so I went home to watch. Very disappointing as there was big billboards around town and was advertised heaps on TV and Radio. Guess this is a League town.

But super happy with the coverage on 9Gem and then Stan for the Force game. Hoping and expecting the popularity and numbers to build!

Interestingly enough, mate and I were in mackay for work when Rugby League State of Origin Game 1 was on a few months ago. We walked down the main street, eventually ended up convincing a bar connected to one of the hotels to turn the game on their outside TV, but there was nothing happening for the game at all. Was eerie.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
i only watched the 9Gem game, but was fairly impressed.

Allana seemed to favour a bit of an exaggeration of 'our game' and the Campo segment was rubbish, but besides Tim Horan's complete inability to say Damon instead of DAY-MON MURPHY it was good.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I feel like in terms of the product we are being presented with, this is definitely V1 of what could end up being V104.435 by the time Super Rugby 2022 arrives. Looks like Stan are ticking the right boxes in terms of production value and quality. As mentioned by a few people, maybe too many different voices involved at this stage. A bit of quantity over quality at times.

I liked Allana Ferguson but I wonder what her involvement will be come March, she’s one of the key faces for Fox League again.

I’m excited to see if they roll out similar production value for the club games, obviously not expecting it to be the same quality but it would be nice to have more than one camera for example and regular commentary/replays after try’s. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself!

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
From the SMH article this morning. Looks like it has rated pretty well relative to previous years.

"The
Herald has learned the match was watched by about 200,000 people across 9Gem and Stan Sport. About 150,000 of those viewers tuned in on Nine’s secondary channel and the other 50,000 watched via Stan’s new streaming arm.

Combined, the numbers tripled the total viewership for the corresponding match in the first round last year.
“Friday night’s launch of Rugby on both Stan Sport and 9Gem was hugely successful, exceeding all expectations,” Nine director of sport Brent Williams said."

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
From the SMH article this morning. Looks like it has rated pretty well relative to previous years.

"TheHerald has learned the match was watched by about 200,000 people across 9Gem and Stan Sport. About 150,000 of those viewers tuned in on Nine’s secondary channel and the other 50,000 watched via Stan’s new streaming arm.

Combined, the numbers tripled the total viewership for the corresponding match in the first round last year.
“Friday night’s launch of Rugby on both Stan Sport and 9Gem was hugely successful, exceeding all expectations,” Nine director of sport Brent Williams said."
source.gif

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
who else noticed that refs have clearly been given some guidance stemming straight from HQ about the spirit in which to interpret the laws. For example, offsides being very strictly policed - few penalties early and then a more spacious game. Smart

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Every up and coming referee from amateur to semi pro needs to be taught to focus intensely on offsides for the first ten minutes of a game in my view. I do it at schoolboy level and it's the best way to create time and space for attacking sides

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
who else noticed that refs have clearly been given some guidance stemming straight from HQ about the spirit in which to interpret the laws. For example, offsides being very strictly policed - few penalties early and then a more spacious game. Smart

I also liked that the ref in the box can reach out and speak to the ref on field. Saying, mate the ruling is this..

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I also liked that the ref in the box can reach out and speak to the ref on field. Saying, mate the ruling is this..

Yes, that was a little embarrassing for Murphy in the Reds-Tahs game. But I think the difference is that we hear all that communication - I think previously they only turned on the TMO audio when there was a referral from the on-field ref.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Offsides being policed strictly? What about the blatant offside to deny Gordon a try?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Offsides being policed strictly? What about the blatant offside to deny Gordon a try?

Jezus Derp. You've been scratching around issues here. I get your pain, but you normally bring some honesty to the discussion. Tahs were routed. Because they were poor compared to the opposition.

The reason that the Tahs were poor has little to do with adjudication and heaps with the Tahs themselves.

I get your frustration, but it could be better targeted. You guys were shit. The opposition was very good. The end.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Got me angry at the time (tahs fan) but excited also (wallabies fan). McReight came in on the side then swiveled his hips around to make it look like he came through the gate. All Blacks 101.