• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But the Round 10 game was Rebels vs Brumbies, I think? So it's not a like-for-like comparison. That game was never going to draw a big audience.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Super Rugby scores are no longer carried on the "Fox Scores" ticker at the top of the Foxsports.com.au website.

It is so blatant how they are trying to undermine rugby as much as possible. It's frustrating that they behaving so childishly but I think they're also eroding how seriously anyone will take their reporting on rugby's issues so they may end up getting ignored by more people.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Super Rugby scores are no longer carried on the "Fox Scores" ticker at the top of the Foxsports.com.au website.

It is so blatant how they are trying to undermine rugby as much as possible. It's frustrating that they behaving so childishly but I think they're also eroding how seriously anyone will take their reporting on rugby's issues so they may end up getting ignored by more people.

This is fairly normal practice for News Corp/Fox. I'm unsurprised it's extended to their rugby coverage.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But the Round 10 game was Rebels vs Brumbies, I think? So it's not a like-for-like comparison. That game was never going to draw a big audience.

Kind of understand that Barb, and of course it not like for like the early rounds didn't have NRL and AFL to contend with anyway, so it can't be like for like. I was wondering why Packer's mob and RA aren't pointing out where figures are so wrong though. I remember a few years back when Nine showed how few people watched a rugby test on FTA compared to some a league one or something like that, while completely ignoring the fat was ONLY on FTA where as rugby one was on Fox at same time so many rugby people watched it here with no ads. I think if we got the figure, shouldn't we fight back?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why give it oxygen? Those ratings are correct. It just sounds petty if you point out that one game was the biggest traditional clash in Aussie rugby in the first round where excitement was high and the last round was Waratahs vs Rebels, the game contested by the bottom two sides whose places on the table were already decided.

There was a reasonable amount of media around Nine's share price rising on the announcement of the number of Stan Sport subscribers etc.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...t-subscriptions-revealed-20210504-p57ot2.html

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I still trying to get my head around these figures and don't know how accurate these figures are by OzTam who is supposedly official ratings
The opening match of the season between the Queensland Reds and the NSW Waratahs, on February 19, drew a healthy audience of 121,000 across the five-city metro market, but by Round 10, the weekly fixture on 9Gem was pulling just 52,000 — a drop of 57 per cent, according to ratings service OzTAM.

Now I understand these figures are just what I read on net and it was I think from The Australian, and probably a Murdoch paper. But id they wrong, why isn't one of Packer's papers responding, or RA?? If it right it would seem perhaps the rugby even on the Super Au is fading as other sports have fired up? So carrying on from that how well is it all going with Stan/Nine? I hope it goes well as I like what they doing!

I don't understand what your question is. It was a shit article by a newspaper running an agenda against the code. They compared to the lowest rating of the season to demonstrate a season decline, but then a week later when the audience was up towards 100k they said nothing.

Based on their selective use of statistics then the following week they should have posted an article that Super RUgby ratings have increased 100% in a single week, but they didn't because it didn't suit the narrative.

This wasn't a trend of a season decline because they didn't include the last two weeks which featured the highest ratings.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Never trust a Murdoch paper when they don't control or broadcast a sport.

Remember the Super League War, which led in time to Super Rugby.

We are in a much better place with the Nine group.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't understand what your question is. It was a shit article by a newspaper running an agenda against the code. They compared to the lowest rating of the season to demonstrate a season decline, but then a week later when the audience was up towards 100k they said nothing.

Based on their selective use of statistics then the following week they should have posted an article that Super RUgby ratings have increased 100% in a single week, but they didn't because it didn't suit the narrative.

This wasn't a trend of a season decline because they didn't include the last two weeks which featured the highest ratings.

I understand that, but I very surprised RA or Packer papers didn't have something to fix it. And they happy to do it too, look at crowd number releases, it easy to find how many went to Final. and games from out west where the crowds were good, even when Brumbies.Reds played to decide who got home final, and Reds/Crusaders, but seems most from sydney and Melbourne are TBA. I not knocking them , but just think if Fox etc are playing games if we (I mean rugby) has figures to stuff them up, just put them out there in general discussion, as we do for any halfway decent crowd.
I don't trust any paper group, and just think we all believe what we want, but if by putting the crap figures in papers etc Murdochs lot are doing a little damge to game with casual viewers, shouldn't Packer mob be doind same to assist game. Like we hear in match build ups great crowd expected, sell out, but they don't say a word about crowds outside of Brisbane and Perth, as we can see they pretty poor, so mention viewing numbers to counter!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I understand that, but I very surprised RA or Packer papers didn't have something to fix it. And they happy to do it too, look at crowd number releases, it easy to find how many went to Final. and games from out west where the crowds were good, even when Brumbies.Reds played to decide who got home final, and Reds/Crusaders, but seems most from sydney and Melbourne are TBA. I not knocking them , but just think if Fox etc are playing games if we (I mean rugby) has figures to stuff them up, just put them out there in general discussion, as we do for any halfway decent crowd.
I don't trust any paper group, and just think we all believe what we want, but if by putting the crap figures in papers etc Murdochs lot are doing a little damge to game with casual viewers, shouldn't Packer mob be doind same to assist game. Like we hear in match build ups great crowd expected, sell out, but they don't say a word about crowds outside of Brisbane and Perth, as we can see they pretty poor, so mention viewing numbers to counter!

RA/Nine did all this.
There was no shortage of publicising the ratings across the season and the grand final. I don’t know how you found that article on google without finding the others

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RA/Nine did all this.
There was no shortage of publicising the ratings across the season and the grand final. I don’t know how you found that article on google without finding the others

Mate I didn't know where to look, I know we got some put up here, but I just googled tv ratings rugby union Australia 2021.
man I just a simple old bugger ,and don't know what else to do:(

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the A-League have signed on with Channel 10, and their soon to be launched streaming service Paramount+. Getting roughly the same $$ as rugby, and the promise of a game every Saturday night on Channel 10's main channel. Yet another sport turning their back on Fox/Kayo and seeking greener pastures elsewhere.

It's yet another streaming service fans will have to sign up to, and while it will have a wider entertainment offering it won't have the same clout as Stan.

Soccer's issue to me seems that there are a bunch of different competitions people want to watch, and they are each on a separate streaming service. This announcement is only going to exacerbate those issues.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Soccer's issue to me seems that there are a bunch of different competitions people want to watch, and they are each on a separate streaming service. This announcement is only going to exacerbate those issues.

Don't we suffer from the same issue?

Imagine if Stan had Heineken Cup, Premiership Rugby, Top 14 as well.

Speaking of, have they announced the BIL yet?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Don't we suffer from the same issue?

Imagine if Stan had Heineken Cup, Premiership Rugby, Top 14 as well.

Not nearly to the same extent. There is a sizeable cohort of Australian soccer fans who prefer a foreign league to the local offering - the Premier League, Champions League, Serie A etc.

How many local rugby fans really care about those competitions? I'm sure they would watch if they had the option, but I don't imagine there would be many who would sign up to a streaming service purely to watch the Top 14, for example.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The introduction of Paramount+ is a big blow to Stan though........... they're about to lose a whole bunch of content, including their Showtime programs.

Stan also used to have the Disney contract.

But long term, Foxtel are faaaaaaaaaaarked.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not nearly to the same extent. There is a sizeable cohort of Australian soccer fans who prefer a foreign league to the local offering - the Premier League, Champions League, Serie A etc.

How many local rugby fans really care about those competitions? I'm sure they would watch if they had the option, but I don't imagine there would be many who would sign up to a streaming service purely to watch the Top 14, for example.

Yep. I know more than a few Soccer fans who actively turn their nose up and the A-League. Their rationale is why bother with a sub par offering when you can watch the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Just had a FB ad pop up stating that Wimbledon and French open are on Stan. While not rugby growth of the channel can only be good.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The introduction of Paramount+ is a big blow to Stan though..... they're about to lose a whole bunch of content, including their Showtime programs.

Stan also used to have the Disney contract.

But long term, Foxtel are faaaaaaaaaaarked.
That’s always going to be the issue for Stan. Content on the entertainment side of things. At the moment I prefer their offerings to Netflix but as more companies try and launch their own streaming service the more content they will lose

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Could Stan link up with other streaming services?

I use Canal+, which is a French broadcaster. Through an upgraded membership with them I have access to Disney+, Netflix, BeIN sports, whatever Star is and of course all the original Canal+ stuff including Top 14. It costs me $45 aud/month.