• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Other than afternoon club matches in Brisbane (when other local rugby is on) or the SA Lions series in the early hours is there any rugby on offer?

We really need something to follow up these numbers :(

half

Alan Cameron (40)
How'd they get to the 2.2m from the 700k ish that were released the day after. I mean awesome numbers. Just wondering.

Issue is old measurement systems operating in a new media environment.

In say recent history you could add the FTA rating to the Fox ratings and essentially that was your rating.

Streaming is different, companies like Stan, Netflicks, Amazon and Paramount count numbers of subscribers... the say 4 million views reflects people coming in and out of the stream..

Youtube broadcast of live sport often has the same person logging in a number of times to get the score etc.

Optus is the perfect example they broadcast the EPL on Sunday and Monday morning mostly and who is going to get up on Monday morning at say 2:00 AM. Some but not many but the number of people signed up by Optus for the EPL is huge.

Streaming clicks and views cannot be viewed in the same light as FTA TV ratings.

FTA rating were excellent and I look forward to the rugby Olympic ratings

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Issue is old measurement systems operating in a new media environment.

In say recent history you could add the FTA rating to the Fox ratings and essentially that was your rating.

Streaming is different, companies like Stan, Netflicks, Amazon and Paramount count numbers of subscribers. the say 4 million views reflects people coming in and out of the stream..

Youtube broadcast of live sport often has the same person logging in a number of times to get the score etc.

Optus is the perfect example they broadcast the EPL on Sunday and Monday morning mostly and who is going to get up on Monday morning at say 2:00 AM. Some but not many but the number of people signed up by Optus for the EPL is huge.

Streaming clicks and views cannot be viewed in the same light as FTA TV ratings.

FTA rating were excellent and I look forward to the rugby Olympic ratings
Well yeah, my viewing habits if I want a replay of something I load the stream on my phone and watch it in a break in play so I may load the stream up 5 or so times a match yet I still am one person watching it on my own

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
peak audience vs average audience

It's all a numbers game to make whoever is giving it look good. Peak audience includes those that click on channell and say shit I thought I was watching news, etc etc that is usually on at that time. You use them how you want. I remember a couple of years back when leaguie on tv was comparing FTA between rugby and league for a couple of games, which was right, but didn't allow for the fact the League game was ONLY on FTA, and and a bloody good percentage of rugby people watched the game on Fox with no ads etc, so you just use whatever figures suit your argument. Even we do it, Rugby released the fact that viewing was up on FTA by 144% during super, which as rugby wasn't on FTA except for tests last year (and Fox at same time) kind of makes figures like that a little iffy. We as rugby people will grab (rightly) the positives , just like everyone else.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yes I agree but thought that 144% was to highlight the overall growth in numbers watching the game, regardless of what platform it was on it speaks volume for the sponsors of those teams and the exposure they get, so I don’t think it’s an iffy figure to tout

half

Alan Cameron (40)
7plus sets new Australian streaming record

More than 170 million minutes streamed

The first day of competition in the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 saw the Seven Network’s 7plus platform achieve a gold medal of its own: the record for the biggest day of live streaming in Australian television history.

An extraordinary 172 million minutes were streamed on 7plus yesterday, shattering the previous record of 86 million for the State of Origin rugby league match on 14 July this year. The 7plus number does not include co-viewing data, which will be released later today, while the State of Origin number includes co-viewing.

The 7plus total covered 149.8 million live streamed minutes and 22.2 million video-on-demand minutes. As a result, 7plus captured a record-setting 93% share of commercial free-to-air live streaming, and a 79.7% share of total minutes (live plus VOD).

Yesterday also marked a record for 7plus in terms of advertising revenue booked in one day.

Seven West Media Chief Digital Officer, Gereurd Roberts, said: “We knew the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 would be a massive event across both digital and broadcast, but the numbers on 7plus have exceeded all of our expectations and set a new standard for streaming in Australia.

“Tokyo 2020 will be the biggest digital media event Australia has ever seen. If we are setting new streaming numbers after just one day, imagine what the next fortnight or so is going to look like.

“Australians have really embraced the innovative and incredibly comprehensive coverage on Channel 7, 7mate and 7plus, with a viewer experience and features that have never been seen here before. We’re delighted with how people are responding to our coverage,” he said.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think we can expect 'total streaming minute' records to be routinely broken in coming years as more people transition to this form of watching, it's not as impressive as setting records on traditional platforms.

For what its worth, 7s App is woeful and they're probably missing out no a significant chunk of ratings by having such a poor platform.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For what its worth, 7s App is woeful and they're probably missing out no a significant chunk of ratings by having such a poor platform.

It is so bad.

The number of times it isn't showing what is meant to be on or just doesn't load is very frustrating.

Then there's an event you know is on right now and you can't find the right app link (but it is on one of the FTA channels).

Then things like the Boomers game last night features a single US commentator who was mind numbingly boring on the app but the Channel 7 commentators are on the main channel (but then they cut away from the game with two minutes to go to show a swimming heat).

/rant

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^
Relevance?

Showing the growth in streaming, which has had heaps of posts on this thread.

They are huge nay mega size numbers and they further illustrate the changes in the way media is being measured.

In addition and supporting to what I posted above, the old ways of looking at match day ratings are becoming aside from FTA increasingly meaningless. The new and as yet with no base lines is how big is the subscription base, and how long each subscriber actually watches is way less important than them being a subscriber.

7 are posting some interesting stats, regardless if they are doing it well or not its more the streaming figures are well above what people believed as little as 12 months ago.

We now have, Optus, Stan, HBO, Amazon, Paramount, plus all the FTA stations have their own streaming platforms. Sport also has some large net based streaming companies.

Moreover it shows we need new measuring tools [no idea what yet] to access views and how they relate to what has traditionally been termed ratings.

Personally I have no idea how to measure views, as a view could be less than a second to the entire match.

Youtube in particular has mega views but no idea how long each view was.

Hopefully the FTA will start to expand on whats important to them in terms of streaming..

Cherrs

Half

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It is so bad.

The number of times it isn't showing what is meant to be on or just doesn't load is very frustrating.

Then there's an event you know is on right now and you can't find the right app link (but it is on one of the FTA channels).

Then things like the Boomers game last night features a single US commentator who was mind numbingly boring on the app but the Channel 7 commentators are on the main channel (but then they cut away from the game with two minutes to go to show a swimming heat).

/rant
Yeah agreed 7plus is terrible