• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZRU sold the games to TEG.. its TEG/NZRU responsibility to market the games in partnership with the host government.

How did NZR come to be in a position to sell those rights? Surely those belong to SANZAAR? And surely RA would have to sign off on it?

Not trying to have a go at you or anyone else, just trying to understand how it all came about as at face value it doesn't seem to make a whole lot if sense.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I know crowds weren't as big as hoped by some, and seems the advertising wasn't what it could of been , I still think it a good idea especially early in season. Sanzaar or whoever perhaps need to look at getting promotions as the upside for rugby in Aus is good, and why I think it should be in Australia where possible. Seems that those that went enjoyed it and generally looks ok. Let's see if it's run well next year. I do think perhaps as I said promotion needs to be done, and not sure why anyone is disputing who should do it. I just think normally super games are just promoted by individual franchises, so a united front would be better? Don't know if TEG (by the way are an Aus company, someone said it was NZ) got money from Vic gov't so then don't worry about it , or whatever. I do believe Sanzaar (or really NZR and Rugby Australia) need to actually put some money aside to promote the whole comp anyway!
TEG aren’t a kiwi company but they are owned by Silver Lake and the most senior guy in the company is on the NZRU board. There is a lot of arrows pointing one way but on saying that I don’t think they are to blame. Been at the event on the weekend it’s evident hardly anyone from the rugby community in other states bothered to travel. Honestly don’t think it would be much better at other venues because of this fact, if people from QLD or NSW couldn’t be bothered to travel to Melb, it’s unlikely someone from NSW would of bothered to head to QLD and vise versa. The wider Aus rugby community are as much to blame as the other parties.

On saying that I don’t particularly like the optics of a NZRU board members company that’s owned by a NZRU PE stakeholder (Silverlake) been directly involved in things that directly impact Aus teams

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On saying that I don’t particularly like the optics of a NZRU board members company that’s owned by a NZRU private equity stakeholder (Silverlake) been directly involved in things that directly impact Aus teams

SilverLake aren't yet an NZR private equity stakeholder.

TEG aren’t a kiwi company but they are owned by Silver Lake and the most senior guy in the company is on the NZRU board.
Name?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Bart Campbell

They are partners in all but the ‘i’ dotted and ‘t’ crossed.
This article from last year clarifies the relationship and suspicions inside RA about the relationships from NZRU and Bart Campbell as a board member.

Again to clarify I don’t think they are to overly blame. Infact the event was better than many sitting on their couch at home might like to think.

Reality is TEG is most likely the best company to administer the event and it’s a case of poor optics than the actually undertakings which are completely justified in their selection

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't find anything linking Bart Campbell to TEG* & if there were any link, no matter how tenuous, between Campbell & SilverLake that would surely have come out during the NZR/ NZRPA standoff just as the apparent conflict of interest wrt to David Kirk (NZRPA President & senior partner in a PE firm also bidding for part of the NZR's commercial action) did.

Edit: Campbell is a director of Left Field Live who appear to have partnered TEG on occasion but I think they're seperate entities?

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Can't find anything linking Bart Campbell to TEG or is Left Field Live a subsidiary or business unit of TEG?
Hard to find anything concrete but google TEG and Left field live and every announcement is a joint announcement. My limited understanding is that LFL is the marketing element and TEG is the operational element (logistics/ticketing etc.).

happy to be corrected if not.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
TEG aren’t a kiwi company but they are owned by Silver Lake and the most senior guy in the company is on the NZRU board. There is a lot of arrows pointing one way but on saying that I don’t think they are to blame. Been at the event on the weekend it’s evident hardly anyone from the rugby community in other states bothered to travel. Honestly don’t think it would be much better at other venues because of this fact, if people from QLD or NSW couldn’t be bothered to travel to Melb, it’s unlikely someone from NSW would of bothered to head to QLD and vise versa. The wider Aus rugby community are as much to blame as the other parties.

On saying that I don’t particularly like the optics of a NZRU board members company that’s owned by a NZRU private equity stakeholder (Silverlake) been directly involved in things that directly impact Aus teams
I would love nothing more than to go to an away Reds game every season and make into a holiday but I need at least 6 months notice of when I want to take leave so given how late the draw is released it is almost impossible to get time off work.

I would be pretty happy to spend the next 11 years going to a new destination to watch a Rugby game then start over again.

Obviously COVID changes the draw with little to no notice but surely it cannot be too hard to release a draw earlier to allow for plans to be made.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
But what’s the other option? If the aim was to get Kiwi’s across, it has to be on a weekend with a shared public holiday or no one would stick around for the Sunday games.
Obviously it had to be moved but the original weekend was a way better choice for the weekend. Also maybe the event organisers could actually advertise the fact it was on. If I was not a rugby fan I would have no clue that it happened this weekend

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZRU sold the games to TEG.. its TEG/NZRU responsibility to market the games in partnership with the host government.

I thought the Aussie teams made a good effort of promoting it on their social media platforms despite it been the kiwis taking home the cash.
Oh no worries mate, I not blaming anyone. Does this raise the idea that it shouldn't happen again. As you say once NZR sold the games there nothing in it for them to promote the game, they get the same money, nothing for RA as they get no money etc etc. I just think it a shame that noone (Sanzaar?) thought that promoting the weekened would do great for rugby in Aus, and so for the whole super comp. Even Vic gov't you would of thought would want it promoted to get people in city to help pay back their investment.
The trouble seems to be that it's noone's job to promote it? I don't know how it works etc, and was just commenting on what mate from Brsibane posted on the Net.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dunno mate i’m just responding to your complaints about kiwi teams giving up home ground advantage, they sold it, that’s my point..
Wasn't complaining by any means, just responded when you said Aus teams hav
I would love nothing more than to go to an away Reds game every season and make into a holiday but I need at least 6 months notice of when I want to take leave so given how late the draw is released it is almost impossible to get time off work.

I would be pretty happy to spend the next 11 years going to a new destination to watch a Rugby game then start over again.

Obviously COVID changes the draw with little to no notice but surely it cannot be too hard to release a draw earlier to allow for plans to be made.
Yep some have that reason lb, and can't get away. It is fun though, me with a couple of mates has a good weekend in Melbourne when we went down to Reds/Rebels game a few years back, then the next year went to Dunedin when Reds/ Clan played and actually went up to Reds/Clan game in Townsville a couple of years before that. I know it hard for some people, but too many so called supporters don't make enough of an effort for me. Hell I was only what mates called a secondary reds supporter :D , was a member etc,and supported them against all but kiwi teams

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Oh no worries mate, I not blaming anyone. Does this raise the idea that it shouldn't happen again. As you say once NZR sold the games there nothing in it for them to promote the game, they get the same money, nothing for Rugby Australia as they get no money etc etc. I just think it a shame that noone (Sanzaar?) thought that promoting the weekened would do great for rugby in Aus, and so for the whole super comp. Even Vic gov't you would of thought would want it promoted to get people in city to help pay back their investment.
The trouble seems to be that it's noone's job to promote it? I don't know how it works etc, and was just commenting on what mate from Brsibane posted on the Net.
The Vic government paid to get the kiwi sides to attract international tourists and no kiwis bothered to show up.

As they where NZ home games and they owned the event they would have got the gate revenue

Really how I think it should work is the Vic Government has paid for the Kiwi sides to come so that is all the money the get. Then Rugby Aus and Rugby Vic split the profit from the gate, that way there is an insensitive to advertise it

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Oh no worries mate, I not blaming anyone. Does this raise the idea that it shouldn't happen again. As you say once NZR sold the games there nothing in it for them to promote the game, they get the same money, nothing for Rugby Australia as they get no money etc etc. I just think it a shame that noone (Sanzaar?) thought that promoting the weekened would do great for rugby in Aus, and so for the whole super comp. Even Vic gov't you would of thought would want it promoted to get people in city to help pay back their investment.
Do you think it might have been the promoter's job to promote it?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
We are back, I actually watched it at the pub. Good vibe, bummer the Reds didn't win

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.55.01 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.55.01 am.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 89

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
The Vic government paid to get the kiwi sides to attract international tourists and no kiwis bothered to show up.

As they where NZ home games and they owned the event they would have got the gate revenue

Really how I think it should work is the Vic Government has paid for the Kiwi sides to come so that is all the money the get. Then Rugby Aus and Rugby Vic split the profit from the gate, that way there is an insensitive to advertise it

It might work next year when flight prices are hopefully more reasonable. Trans-tasman flight prices at the moment are insane.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It might work next year when flight prices are hopefully more reasonable. Trans-tasman flight prices at the moment are insane.
Look I haven’t looked into that side of things. Plus hopefully just in general people are more confident travelling next year

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

No they didn't get gate revenue, TEG got that, why do you suppose they bought rights?.I think you may find the Vis gov't wanted tourist both internationally, but just as importantly nationally, or don't you think they expected most to come from Sydney/Brisbane etc. But it's fun to say the kiwis never turned up :D :D;)
I thought the idea of it being in Vic was to promote the game in Australia, it was meant to be 3rd game of season before NRL and AFL started, and was one of reason RA wanted season started early. The shame was it couldn't be played whan it was meant to.
From my experience, neither Sanzaar, local franchises especially, RA or NZR promote games as well as they should. And this is from someone who has been to numerous games in both NZ and Aus.