• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Look I haven’t looked into that side of things. Plus hopefully just in general people are more confident travelling next year
Biigest hurdle at moment is (from talking to people and news) is the worry of getting to Aus, and then testing positive etc and not being able to get home.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
No they didn't get gate revenue, TEG got that, why do you suppose they bought rights?.I think you may find the Vis gov't wanted tourist both internationally, but just as importantly nationally, or don't you think they expected most to come from Sydney/Brisbane etc. But it's fun to say the kiwis never turned up :D :D;)
I thought the idea of it being in Vic was to promote the game in Australia, it was meant to be 3rd game of season before NRL and AFL started, and was one of reason Rugby Australia wanted season started early. The shame was it couldn't be played whan it was meant to.
From my experience, neither Sanzaar, local franchises especially, Rugby Australia or NZR promote games as well as they should. And this is from someone who has been to numerous games in both NZ and Aus.
But the Vic government wasn’t spending money trying to attract domestic tourism.

Its up to the promoters to promote the event. The failure in that regard is on NZ and the promoter.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Biigest hurdle at moment is (from talking to people and news) is the worry of getting to Aus, and then testing positive etc and not being able to get home.
I get that, I have had mates have to cancel trips back home to NZ a lot. Same with friends in Perth as they have had a similar hard border approach. Hopefully people have more confidence that they can move freely next year

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But the Vic government wasn’t spending money trying to attract domestic tourism.

Its up to the promoters to promote the event. The failure in that regard is on NZ and the promoter.
Really? Why do they pay so much to have a SOO match etc? For the international crowd? And NRL, AFL etc etc

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I get that, I have had mates have to cancel trips back home to NZ a lot. Same with friends in Perth as they have had a similar hard border approach. Hopefully people have more confidence that they can move freely next year
Mate I one of them, I want to be over there for a holiday to catch up with mates.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Really? Why do they pay so much to have a SOO match etc? For the international crowd? And NRL, AFL etc etc
Well the government doesn’t pay that much really for the AFL. They put money into the Ballarat ground and the Geelong ground to support the regional areas.

If tourism Victoria was looking to attract domestic tourists the appearance fees would of gone to the Aus clubs. But they know the crowds in Aus are poor. Ultimately the promoter dropped the ball by not promoting it

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well the government doesn’t pay that much really for the AFL. They put money into the Ballarat ground and the Geelong ground to support the regional areas.
VIC Govt pays tens of millions each year for AFL through various grants and capital upgrade projects.

Not to mention outrageously generous exclusivity deals like the one which saw the AFL gifted Marve Stadium.

i agree TEG should have promoted it better, I would hope that’s part of the terms of agreement negotiated at the time the contract was agreed upon. Perhaps the NZ govt decision to keep the borders closed longer and rescheduling the draw played a part.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
VIC Govt pays tens of millions each year for AFL through various grants and capital upgrade projects.

Not to mention outrageously generous exclusivity deals like the one which saw the AFL gifted Marve Stadium.

i agree TEG should have promoted it better, I would hope that’s part of the terms of agreement negotiated at the time the contract was agreed upon. Perhaps the NZ govt decision to keep the borders closed longer and rescheduling the draw played a part.
All those grants to grass roots clubs are available to all sport. Was meant to take the AFL 25 years to pay off marvel but brought the last part out early. That was after decades of screwing the AFL over at Waverley. The government needed to offer them a good deal as it would never of been viable to have that stadium without the AFL

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Out of interest, some fella from AFL was running the Reds a few years back, and said the AFL have basically got it so Vic Gov't pays for all their grounds ,etc, all AFL's money is then just spent on players and developing game. He never actually suggested what rugby clubs in Qld should do when he was talking about it, but was seemingly very surprised that clubs etc were spending so much money to maintain grounds and infra structure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All those grants to grass roots clubs are available to all sport. Was meant to take the AFL 25 years to pay off marvel but brought the last part out early. That was after decades of screwing the AFL over at Waverley. The government needed to offer them a good deal as it would never of been viable to have that stadium without the AFL

Back in 2018 VIC Govt announced a $500million deal to keep AFL GF in Melbourne for next 35 years.

That included $250million in funding for local upgrades and the $220million upgrade of the AFL Owned Marvel Stadium.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Back in 2018 VIC Govt announced a $500million deal to keep AFL GF in Melbourne for next 35 years.

That included $250million in funding for local upgrades and the $220million upgrade of the AFL Owned Marvel Stadium.
Local upgrades for shared sports facilities get upgraded for the guarantee of the GF that has a huge economic benefit for Melbourne.

When you look at the commercial value of the GF is around 15m per year they get well unders from the state government.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Theres another $1bn coming down the pipe to them when the Southern Stand gets upgraded at the G.

Cricket in Victoria (and SA/WA) are the really big winner - they wouldnt have half the facility upgrades they get without the AFL.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Channel 10 and Paramount to make bid for entire AFL package.
Geez imagine a household where you've got fans of rugby, NRL, AFL etc

You'd need three different services to watch them all!

Not necessarily complaining but geez things were pretty simple a few years ago, pay for Foxtel and you were set.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Geez imagine a household where you've got fans of rugby, NRL, AFL etc

You'd need three different services to watch them all!

Not necessarily complaining but geez things were pretty simple a few years ago, pay for Foxtel and you were set.
The ability to switch services on and off, and the generally lower overall cost makes it pretty compelling though. I think I used to pay around $100 for HD Foxtel back in the day. We have currently got Stan Sports, Netflix, Disney, Amazon and Foxtel and it comes out to around $100 a month, and I also get free Optus sport on my mobile and I'm pretty sure NRL and AFL off my wife's.

Agree it can be hard to keep track of, and it is bloody hard to find movies or TV shows at times.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The ability to switch services on and off, and the generally lower overall cost makes it pretty compelling though. I think I used to pay around $100 for HD Foxtel back in the day. We have currently got Stan Sports, Netflix, Disney, Amazon and Foxtel and it comes out to around $100 a month, and I also get free Optus sport on my mobile and I'm pretty sure NRL and AFL off my wife's.

Agree it can be hard to keep track of, and it is bloody hard to find movies or TV shows at times.

Don't forget all those platform are streaming services, using the internet. Foxtel was either cable or satellite based with the option to turn on internet features for movies etc.

I know in my household we recently had to update our internet plan with the addition of children and adults who are working from home, needed to ramp up the speed etc. we are now forking out around $100 a month for that. Probably fair to say it's a cost we would have worn regardless of the streaming services though.

Most internet plans are more affordable these days but it's something that I feel many people don't factor into the cost of watching TV these days.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A bit off topic for the rugby, but JustWatch is great for trying to find which service something is on, or browsing everything on the specific services you've got at once

Yep and I believe they are working towards a version which will amalgamate all your services for easier navigation. As in, when you find the movie you want on their interface, you can click on it and assuming you have the correct subscription it will open that app and start the movie.