• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Any thoughts on the broadcast last night?

I switched to the sky cam a few times and the player cam. Neither had any commentary but were set up to have very clear player sounds and referee microphone audio.

If they are going to allow these streams to have no commentary, then I wish they would have a game stream with just sound effects.

Sky cam seemed to move around a bit too much for me, it was always getting ready for the next time it was needed on the main broadcast, I was hoping it would be a "madden cam" where the camera was always a couple of metres behind play with most of the width of the filed in view.
I think the value in the multiple camera options is I n sports bars and pubs where you can have multiple TVs covering the action. It’s hard for just the one on your home tv.

But it might be of value in watching replays

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the value in the multiple camera options is I n sports bars and pubs where you can have multiple TVs covering the action. It’s hard for just the one on your home tv.

But it might be of value in watching replays
I watched a bit of the player cam this morning on hooper which was useful to for a closer look at what it looks like close up. I imagine this is all early experimentation of different smart technologies to improve viewer experience. To make it work you need to probably be able to use the remote to show up in smaller part of screen etc. can’t imagine mass use of this stuff but just early trial of this sort of tech,

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Georgina Robinson on offsiders just said she expects 9/Stan to come out in support this week of Rugby Australia potentially abandoning SRP (Super Rugby Pacific).

Big news if it happens
Wow if Stan / 9 saying that big statement as clearly RA needs broadcaster support for forward plans

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Are there many pubs showing stan yet - would love to have gone out last night to decent east sydney pub to watch nearlies and oz games, but besides the rain, I couldn't find any pubs saying they would?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Here is the thing:

Why come out saying that we could leave Super Rugby at the end of 2023?! Why not wait until next year?! He has effectively killed any momentum going into next year. Also, can they please provide answers/options?!!! NOTHING in concrete; saying that you want to go at it "alone" does not mean we have the structure OR a plan in place.

I get that everyone has a preferred model. Personally, I don't think wasting valuable $$$ on establishing new teams that will take YEARS to be competitive is the option, but if we walk away from Super Rugby I hope they have a solid plan.

Some say there is no evidence that playing Kiwi teams has benefited Aus rugby. I say we would be utter ... if we were NOT playing them regularly.

Also, here is a reminder of what happened over the weekend. Aus A played like C...P, very average for your next tier of players, THAT is our depth, and it will get worse if they don't play against quality opposition. Don't be fooled Samoa, Fiji, and Co are going to get VERY good over the next few seasons, and we WILL be left behind. There is no way they will go along with Aus rugby unless the Kiwis are involved.

If someone can show me a viable option for an Australian comp that will make $$$ and keep us in the top tier, I'm all ears...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Georgina Robinson on offsiders just said she expects 9/Stan to come out in support this week of Rugby Australia potentially abandoning SRP (Super Rugby Pacific).

Big news if it happens
Listened to offsiders program to hear what said. Georgina Robertson strategically dropped this handgrenade right at the end of the show saying expect broadcasters in the ‘next few days’ to come out in support of RA potentially leaving super rugby (ie as per above). A nice little mic drop moment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Here is the thing:

Why come out saying that we could leave Super Rugby at the end of 2023?! Why not wait until next year?! He has effectively killed any momentum going into next year. Also, can they please provide answers/options?!!! NOTHING in concrete; saying that you want to go at it "alone" does not mean we have the structure OR a plan in place.

I get that everyone has a preferred model. Personally, I don't think wasting valuable $$$ on establishing new teams that will take YEARS to be competitive is the option, but if we walk away from Super Rugby I hope they have a solid plan.

Some say there is no evidence that playing Kiwi teams has benefited Aus rugby. I say we would be utter ... if we were NOT playing them regularly.

Also, here is a reminder of what happened over the weekend. Aus A played like C...P, very average for your next tier of players, THAT is our depth, and it will get worse if they don't play against quality opposition. Don't be fooled Samoa, Fiji, and Co are going to get VERY good over the next few seasons, and we WILL be left behind. There is no way they will go along with Aus rugby unless the Kiwis are involved.

If someone can show me a viable option for an Australian comp that will make $$$ and keep us in the top tier, I'm all ears...

If you are in a model that is not working you look at alternatives which does include the option of fixing the status quo (or making the super rugby product that better meets the needs of customers and relevant stakeholders).

I think we all want a model that works to meet the best interest of oz rugby its just simply I don’t think we have found it yet. RA is not saying it will leave super rugby but rather review its options which to me if understood this to be correct sounds sensible.

On the show me a model that is viable you have hit on the $64m question everyone been grappling with but need to find to stop other codes who have got better pro models( outside of the international market ) continuing to make gains at rugby’s expense.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
If you are in a model that is not working you look at alternatives which does include the option of fixing the status quo (or making the super rugby product that better meets the needs of customers and relevant stakeholders).

I think we all want a model that works to meet the best interest of oz rugby its just simply I don’t think we have found it yet. Rugby Australia is not saying it will leave super rugby but rather review its options which to me if understood this to be correct sounds sensible.

On the show me a model that is viable you have hit on the $64m question everyone been grappling with but need to find to stop other codes who have got better pro models( outside of the international market ) continuing to make gains at rugby’s expense.
I would argue that it is working, without playing the kiwis we would not be good enough to compete at the top level. But I understand your point.

IMO the only way to make things work is to make Club Rugby a third proper Tier and invest $$$ into a "Proper Club Comp" National, cut OR promote/relegate the best performing clubs to the National Comp.

This off course would need to played straight after Super Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would argue that it is working, without playing the kiwis we would not be good enough to compete at the top level. But I understand your point.

IMO the only way to make things work is to make Club Rugby a third proper Tier and invest $$$ into a "Proper Club Comp" National, cut OR promote/relegate the best performing clubs to the National Comp.

This off course would need to played straight after Super Rugby

Refocusing on a domestic competition doesn't mean the end to us playing the Kiwi's. Just change the mode in which we would compete. We need to be looking for a greater degree on domestic content and opportunity that the current model just doesn't allow. We could have a say 8 team domestic competition operating as our primary competition and also compete in a Asia-Pacific Champions Cup with NZ and Japanese clubs.

Underpinning that we could look at a National Club Competition. My suggestion would be to run it as a two phased competition. The first being the local phase (so what we have now with the Shute Shield, Hospitals Cup etc.) and the 2nd the actual competition. Played after Super Rugby. So each team would play each other once in the first phase with the Top 4 from Sydney and Brisbane at the end of the first phase qualifying alongside the top team from Canberra, a rep squad from the remaining clubs in the Canberra competition and a rep squad from each of the the Melbourne and Perth competitions. Or potentially even similar to that of Canberra. So 12-14 teams.

From there the remaining teams from the local competitions would continue their seasons playing a 2nd round of games against the remaining clubs while 12-14 teams that qualified for the National Comp. either could be split into two pools of 6/7 or play each other in a single round with a top 6 finals series.