• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I've got a twat over on the r/rugbyunion sub that trying to make out that the excellent ratings the Women's SOO (around 750k after regionals, Pay TV, streaming and BVOD) got is relative to the current figures we know about last night is some kind of negative for Rugby. All while missing the point that the fact he thinks that it is only shows his attitudes and biases.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Any thoughts on the broadcast last night?

I switched to the sky cam a few times and the player cam. Neither had any commentary but were set up to have very clear player sounds and referee microphone audio.

If they are going to allow these streams to have no commentary, then I wish they would have a game stream with just sound effects.

Sky cam seemed to move around a bit too much for me, it was always getting ready for the next time it was needed on the main broadcast, I was hoping it would be a "madden cam" where the camera was always a couple of metres behind play with most of the width of the filed in view.
In general I think the game could use the wider angles more. Too many cuts in phase play.

When the spidercam was at that 'madden' angle it looked sick

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Any thoughts on the broadcast last night?

I switched to the sky cam a few times and the player cam. Neither had any commentary but were set up to have very clear player sounds and referee microphone audio.

If they are going to allow these streams to have no commentary, then I wish they would have a game stream with just sound effects.

Sky cam seemed to move around a bit too much for me, it was always getting ready for the next time it was needed on the main broadcast, I was hoping it would be a "madden cam" where the camera was always a couple of metres behind play with most of the width of the filed in view.

I thought it was pretty good.

Ch9/Stan seem to be putting some production value into rugby which has been missed for a long time. Not the biggest fan of the specialty cameras but I like them trying things to improve coverage/add value to the consumer.

Rae Rae

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I've got a twat over on the r/rugbyunion sub that trying to make out that the excellent ratings the Women's SOO (around 750k after regionals, Pay TV, streaming and BVOD) got is relative to the current figures we know about last night is some kind of negative for Rugby. All while missing the point that the fact he thinks that it is only shows his attitudes and biases.

I've always wondered why there's always a comparison of say SOO or the AFL Grand Final versus a test match. From a test match perspective, the Australian figures only captures a portion of the viewers, i.e. why don't we include the English viewers.

Otherwise, the secular nature of SOO and AFL means, hardly a soul outside the Australian shores watches the match, so you're already capturing 95%+ of the viewers.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I've always wondered why there's always a comparison of say SOO or the AFL Grand Final versus a test match. From a test match perspective, the Australian figures only captures a portion of the viewers, i.e. why don't we include the English viewers.

Otherwise, the secular nature of SOO and AFL means, hardly a soul outside the Australian shores watches the match, so you're already capturing 95%+ of the viewers.
For me I can have the AFL GF on the TV but I'm barely watching/falling asleep. It's just on because its on if that makes sense. Same goes for the Women's SOO to be honest. Non Rugby fans don't chuck on the Rugby.

Rae Rae

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Real good point Ig, why you would think that test teams would be a vastly more attractive option fot advertising/sponsorship for international companies.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
International companies still work in their own national silos. Cadbury Australian couldn’t care to much if Cadbury UK is getting exposure for been on the Aus shirt.

On the same note, Cadbury Aus will only care about how many people in Aus are watching. This drives commercial revenue for Aus to leverage on. This is shirt sponsorship, game day billboards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
International companies still work in their own national silos. Cadbury Australian couldn’t care to much if Cadbury UK is getting exposure for been on the Aus shirt.

On the same note, Cadbury Aus will only care about how many people in Aus are watching. This drives commercial revenue for Aus to leverage on. This is shirt sponsorship, game day billboards.

I think that is true to a reasonable degree but I think the international component definitely influences the overall decision.

What sporting sponsorship did Cadbury have in Australia before?

Now they're the major sponsor of the Wallabies and have signed on for five years immediately before a three test tour by England and three years before a British & Irish Lions Tour.

Daikin sponsored the Waratahs while the Sunwolves were in the comp and there were a couple of sponsorships of Australian teams by Japanese heavy vehicle manufacturers over the same period.

My take is that the local business puts a case to HQ that they want to do this and ask for a contribution from the parent entity/international branches to undertake a sponsorship that would be more expensive than anything they'd normally do by themselves.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yes and no.

Multi-National companies still group regional areas, Cadbury in Australia is owned by Mondelēz, who group together the Australia, NZ and Japan markets under one head office.

Similarly Altrad sponsor the ABs and not because of the domestic appeal, buts it’s international marketability.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees watching the England vs wallabies match Spider-Cam recording. This is really cool and gives great aerial view of the game like a chessboard. Well worth a watch for the diehards as give you greater appreciation of the tactical plays etc

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Now they're the major sponsor of the Wallabies and have signed on for five years immediately before a three test tour by England and three years before a British & Irish Lions Tour.
I found it strange that the U20's did not have any sponsorship on their jerseys, does Cadbury only get senior sponsorship?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I found it strange that the U20's did not have any sponsorship on their jerseys, does Cadbury only get senior sponsorship?
Did the other teams have sponsors?

The pathways teams receive different funding, I’m guessing they aren’t included in any sponsorship arrangements for that reason. For example I don’t think any of the state level schoolboys jerseys have sponsors either.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They had Land Rover in the past?

With no games for a couple of years in the 20s contracts may have ended and it would of been a hard sell. Nothing wrong with a nice clean Gold jersey. I'm sure they'll get something.

Rae Rae

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
They had Land Rover in the past?

With no games for a couple of years in the 20s contracts may have ended and it would of been a hard sell. Nothing wrong with a nice clean Gold jersey. I'm sure they'll get something.

Rae Rae
Looks like they’ve had LR for the last few years, but the deal must’ve changed when the Wallabies contract was renewed this year. BMW has sponsored in the past too it seems, but I can’t recall them having a broader Wallabies deal.

Apart from those two it seems like it’s been pretty bare - as you said, probably a hard sell recently, even just in terms of the number of eyeballs on the game vs the likely cost.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes and no.

Multi-National companies still group regional areas, Cadbury in Australia is owned by Mondelēz, who group together the Australia, NZ and Japan markets under one head office.

Similarly Altrad sponsor the ABs and not because of the domestic appeal, buts it’s international marketability.
Yep, QANTAS I sure were after international market as much as Aussie one.
And Ineos who got ABs shorts also do bike teams, very much international market, lets face it a team like All Blacks would get a pittance comparitively if it was just for local market. I don't even know what Ineos and Altrad are into.
Similarly as you say Adam, Cadbury is actually owned by a British company Mondelez, so are looking probably at international market.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Yep, QANTAS I sure were after international market as much as Aussie one.
And Ineos who got ABs shorts also do bike teams, very much international market, lets face it a team like All Blacks would get a pittance comparitively if it was just for local market. I don't even know what Ineos and Altrad are into.
Similarly as you say Adam, Cadbury is actually owned by a British company Mondelez, so are looking probably at international market.
The main sponsor of both France and New Zealand it appears. Had got used to AIG.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no under 20 World Championship this year and just a handful of game for the under 20s to play.

The World Championship is back on next year so hopefully they get back into a more normal schedule and also have sponsorship.

Very strange not to have it this year. There is concurrently an Oceania tournament with 4 teams in one location and an NH tournament with 8 teams in one location. There's really no excuse not to have a proper one right now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The main sponsor of both France and New Zealand it appears. Had got used to AIG.
Altrad must be thinking rugby is a good advertising market, aren't they also on Force's jersey?
The All Black deal is supposedly worth over $15 mill a year for 2 years, and would think French deal would be fairly good too.
Geez Ineos supposedly paying $8mill a year, and throw in $10 mill plus a lot of gear etc a year from Adidas, you can see where International jerseys are worth a fair bit.

Last edited: