• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I expect it will be a lot different this time, particularly as they'll be the host broadcaster (not Fox) and they've got much more invested this time with their own production team...

From memory, didn't Nine just run with the host broadcast/Fox commentary feed last time around with the exception of the Ray Hadley dumpster fire semi?

Last edited:

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Ray Hadley calling the semi was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever had to listen to.
It must have been bad - I was at the match and had to listen to a whole lot of gloating Kiwi's that continued for a week everywhere I went

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I expect it will be a lot different this time, particularly as they'll be the host broadcaster (not Fox) and they've got much more invested this time with their own production team...

From memory, didn't Nine just run with the host broadcast/Fox commentary feed last time around with the exception of the Ray Hadley dumpster fire semi?
Yes, they're obviously far more invested in rugby now, but you know, long memory.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rugby Series
Aus/Eng 2022

Game 1: 612,000
Game 2: 658,000
Game 3: 615,000( BVOD TBC)

Metro
Game 1: 425,000 (cons)
Game 2: 450,000 (cons)
Game 3: 445,000 (prelim)

Data: Oztam Total tv. STAN (paytv) ratings unavailable.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Was only a matter of time, NRL looking to leverage some of that DFAT funding that Drua have been receiving to establishing their own NRL 'Pasifika Team'

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was only a matter of time, NRL looking to leverage some of that DFAT funding that Drua have been receiving to establishing their own NRL 'Pasifika Team'

Will never work

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Will never work
i think it would be remiss to just say it will never work when the PM of Australia has said he wants to see it explored, given the Australian Govt have been significant benefactors for the Fijian Drua and all of the Oceania rugby programs of late.

If there's a carrot of free money, you can bet your ass the NRL will take a look at how to leverage that.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
i think it would be remiss to just say it will never work when the PM of Australia has said he wants to see it explore, given the Australian Govt have been significant benefactors for the Fijian Drua and all of the Oceania rugby programs of late.

If there's a carrot of free money, you can bet your ass the NRL will take a look at how to leverage that.
The Warriors haven’t worked, outside of PNG there isn’t really a strong domestic presence of league in the islands.

Where will the side be based? Why will players want to play there? The Drua is a stepping stone for test selection for local players or big money offers in Europe.

I agree it’s the logical play from the NRL to try and get government funding. Just can’t see it working

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Warriors haven’t worked, outside of PNG there isn’t really a strong domestic presence of league in the islands.

Isn’t there a bit of a shift happening at the moment with that stuff though?

They’re predicting around 6-8 current SOO players to choose Samoa and Tonga over Australia for the upcoming League RWC.

Sounds like they’ll use that momentum to try and establish a bigger identity in the pacific islands.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

They’re predicting around 6-8 current SOO players to choose Samoa and Tonga over Australia for the upcoming League RWC.

Sounds like they’ll use that momentum to try and establish a bigger identity in the pacific islands.
And they are all expats.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Trying to watch the footy and Kayo is only letting me stream in low definition. Using the same hardware last night was able to watch the rugby In 4K with no issues and no drop outs. Stan is by far the better platform Kayo just has a more substantial catalogue

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Where will the side be based? Why will players want to play there? The Drua is a stepping stone for test selection for local players or big money offers in Europe.

I agree it’s the logical play from the NRL to try and get government funding. Just can’t see it working
There will always be players who want to be paid to play football over working a "normal" job.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
There will always be players who want to be paid to play football over working a "normal" job.
And? We aren’t talking about being competitive with the standard labor market we are talking about being a competitive club and actually competing for top end talent

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)

I'm guessing those blokes basically know they're not in line for selection for Australia so will choose Tonga/Samoa for this RWC, safe in the knowledge it won't hurt their eligibility for Australia down the track

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm guessing those blokes basically know they're not in line for selection for Australia so will choose Tonga/Samoa for this RWC, safe in the knowledge it won't hurt their eligibility for Australia down the track
Correct as they are a designated Tier 2 nation currently it doesn't change your ability to play for a Tier 1 which there is only 3 of currently.. They also relax the rules in World Cup years to allow for as many players to be involved as possible which is a good thing for the Rugby League WC.

Rae Rae