• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I hope that you are correct, I hate the afternoon matches.
Isn't that quite strange, a hell of a lot of people much prefer them, as they much better to attend in Arvo than night. But I understand watching on tv is preferable for most at night. And like it or not I suppose sport primary function is not for live spectators anymore.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Isn't that quite strange, a hell of a lot of people much prefer them, as they much better to attend in Arvo than night. But I understand watching on tv is preferable for most at night. And like it or not I suppose sport primary function is not for live spectators anymore.

Before having kids, I definitely preferred the arvo games. Great to pop down to the pub/head to a mates place from lunchtime and setup for the arvo.

These days, the silver lining of most primetime games kicking off after 7.30-8 is that my kids are usually tucked away in bed or at least settled in their room (they're youngish).

Any time the TV gets flicked on in my household during daytime hours my wife and I end up being strong armed into a Bluey marathon, and any sport watching is relegated to the iPad. I am weak.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If you are going to have arvo tests it has to be Sunday and not Saturday when club footy is getting played. Was grand final day in Vic.

Yep it was also grand final day for Country QLD comp which I mentioned on another thread.

RA want to engage with markets outside Sydney to grow the game again, but they've fucked this one up. Good way to alienate a portion of the market that also has strong ties to rugby league.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep understand all that fellas, but it's not like the test is just put on an afternoon or something with a weeks notice. I was going to tests when they were all on Saturday afternoons, and you know what? There was either a rest in area for that weekend, or club games would be played Sunday. And generally the club finals in Qld anyway when I was there was on a Sunday afternoon.
Look we know it's not going to change because rightly or wrongly games all around world are played when it suits TV.
I do understand how many who have pro rugby since getting involved in game where tets are at night can find afternoon a pain.too. What are Adelaide's lights for night test rugby, and perhaps this had a bearing?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope some of you guys have checked the calendar for the first Bledisloe test…

Thursday evening is very different to clashing with club Grand Finals, especially in some of the regional areas where it's a proper community day. Nothing can be done now but it's a shame.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Before having kids, I definitely preferred the arvo games. Great to pop down to the pub/head to a mates place from lunchtime and setup for the arvo.

These days, the silver lining of most primetime games kicking off after 7.30-8 is that my kids are usually tucked away in bed or at least settled in their room (they're youngish).

Any time the TV gets flicked on in my household during daytime hours my wife and I end up being strong armed into a Bluey marathon, and any sport watching is relegated to the iPad. I am weak.
I always pictured you to be like 65 - 70... hmmm

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I hope some of you guys have checked the calendar for the first Bledisloe test…
Tell you what, it going down like a ton of bricks over here in NZ, a mid week test that doesn't finish until after 11pm? When I remined people at golf on Sunday, they didn't believe it to start with. To be honest just put it down to RA trying to prove a point over NZR.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Of course it is, hell anyone who reads any rugby forum will know it hard to explain facts because when people are pissed off they blame whatever has been in headlines etc lately. I pointed it out and the question was well , why have it in Melbourne home of AFL etc etc. None the less all they see it's good for Aus and piss poor for NZ, I agree up to a point there perhaps could of been a bit more thought by both sides to maybe avoid it, but it has to be on thurs if game is in Melbourne I think, and nothing underhand about it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'll weigh in by saying that I think it's sensible for RA to schedule it when they can get most eyes on the screen. Saturday evenings are no doubt preferable but they need to consider clashes with the other codes in this country. Someone might correct me but I'm pretty sure I watched the game when Gregan made 'that' tackle on Wilson on a Wednesday or Thursday night. Point being this has happened before and I don't really care what day of the week it's on and the skew will always be to favour the home audience.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Of course it is, hell anyone who reads any rugby forum will know it hard to explain facts because when people are pissed off they blame whatever has been in headlines etc lately. I pointed it out and the question was well , why have it in Melbourne home of AFL etc etc. None the less all they see it's good for Aus and piss poor for NZ, I agree up to a point there perhaps could of been a bit more thought by both sides to maybe avoid it, but it has to be on thurs if game is in Melbourne I think, and nothing underhand about it.

I'd be surprised NZ fans still watching after the most recent string of results... I'm not sure if this is true, but I always felt that if the AB's started losing like they have, that some kwis would pack up their bat and ball and fuck off home.

It was unrealistic that they'd continue to win every single game, but I think some fan's believe they should, wait more that it's impossible and unfathomable that All Blacks might lose, and that they would be seen as anything other than the favorites to win everything.

Now the shines going wonder how many will stick around

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
for me, dunno if this speaks for anyone else but Saturday nights aren't great for me. Finish game around 9.30pm/10pm getting late to go out or do something. So it kills my night, puts the girlfriend in a bad mood. Whereas 5.30pm or earlier I can still do stuff. Better yet, Thursday night!