• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll weigh in by saying that I think it's sensible for Rugby Australia to schedule it when they can get most eyes on the screen. Saturday evenings are no doubt preferable but they need to consider clashes with the other codes in this country. Someone might correct me but I'm pretty sure I watched the game when Gregan made 'that' tackle on Wilson on a Wednesday or Thursday night. Point being this has happened before and I don't really care what day of the week it's on and the skew will always be to favour the home audience.

Shiiiiiiiit, you're right... I was there - it was a Wednesday night.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Why don't we just bin live games, pre-record for release every Monday at 7am, and then everyone can watch at their discretion throughout the week?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Shiiiiiiiit, you're right... I was there - it was a Wednesday night.
So was I, high up in the stands that end but on the other side. The goals posts obstructed my view and, for a few seconds, I couldn't work who was cheering and why. All good in the end.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So was I, high up in the stands that end but on the other side. The goals posts obstructed my view and, for a few seconds, I couldn't work who was cheering and why. All good in the end.

I was at the other end of the ground... all the Kiwis around us thought Wilson had scored.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd be surprised NZ fans still watching after the most recent string of results... I'm not sure if this is true, but I always felt that if the AB's started losing like they have, that some kwis would pack up their bat and ball and fuck off home.

It was unrealistic that they'd continue to win every single game, but I think some fan's believe they should, wait more that it's impossible and unfathomable that All Blacks might lose, and that they would be seen as anything other than the favorites to win everything.

Now the shines going wonder how many will stick around

This reads like something you hope will happen rather than based on anything.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'd be surprised NZ fans still watching after the most recent string of results... I'm not sure if this is true, but I always felt that if the AB's started losing like they have, that some kwis would pack up their bat and ball and fuck off home.

It was unrealistic that they'd continue to win every single game, but I think some fan's believe they should, wait more that it's impossible and unfathomable that All Blacks might lose, and that they would be seen as anything other than the favorites to win everything.

Now the shines going wonder how many will stick around AB fans watch regardless,just like real Wallaby fans, and like with any team the pretend ones might drop off. The ones who expect them to win everytime they walk on field , but anyone who support teams do after a few losses etc.
There is the difference between AB fans and winner's fans. Mate same as all proper Wallaby supporters are there watching teams regardless, the floaters who jump on bandwagon. all sports have them. I personally don't know anyone saying stuff this I not going to watch anymore because they lost some games,although sure there is a few.
I agree what you say some have been around the last while and don't know that sport is sport and noone is guaranteed of winning.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Now the shines going wonder how many will stick around

Sounds like some Aussie cricket fans after the Punter era finished.

I unfortunately know a number of what I thought were diehard fans who turned their backs pretty badly on the team when they went through tough times and attention was shifted from test matches to T20 style for a while.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
for me, dunno if this speaks for anyone else but Saturday nights aren't great for me. Finish game around 9.30pm/10pm getting late to go out or do something. So it kills my night, puts the girlfriend in a bad mood. Whereas 5.30pm or earlier I can still do stuff. Better yet, Thursday night!
Man you gotta up your game. Watch it on your phone in the loo, under the table etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Man you gotta up your game. Watch it on your phone in the loo, under the table etc.
Or more importantly he should get established what is important. Christ I can't imagine being in a relationship where a woman told me I shouldn't be watching rugby, priorities are something that should be establiched VERY eary in relationship! ;) :D

My daughetr still gaves me grief, when she was getting married, she rung us up and told me the date, I said but there's an All Black test on that night (the so called test of century at Sydney). Anyway she says bugger, oh well Dad you will just have to record it.
My reply was, But you my only daughter, I wanted to see you get married live!:p

Anyway as predicted with wrong date the marriage didn't last!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
for me, dunno if this speaks for anyone else but Saturday nights aren't great for me. Finish game around 9.30pm/10pm getting late to go out or do something. So it kills my night, puts the girlfriend in a bad mood. Whereas 5.30pm or earlier I can still do stuff. Better yet, Thursday night!

It is on-demand. Go have your night out, have the lady in a good mood, get away with what you can and watch the next day.

I'm married, so fucks given = zero at this point. Not like we do anything Saturdays anyway - particularly after a winter of the "rugby widow" speech...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It is on-demand. Go have your night out, have the lady in a good mood, get away with what you can and watch the next day.

I'm married, so fucks given = zero at this point. Not like we do anything Saturdays anyway - particularly after a winter of the "rugby widow" speech...
Yeah but the danger is avoiding the scores when I’m on the beers. Can avoid it easily for hours when sober but out at the pub at midnight, goto the bathroom and absently open ya phone, bang, scores, game ruined. Real world problems

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m at a stage where I pretty much watch all game half cut later in the night on demand…

I just avoid any rugby sites during the night, plus it’s a positive to stay off the match threads during the game because they’re just fucking awful, yet t hilarious to read later if your team gets up…. but I can watch the game in peace with a nice drink, and skip through any of the Boks players going down to have their shoe laces tied.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wallabies Vs South Africa will be on GEM this weekend as NRL occupies the Nine primary channel.
Ouch that not really good is it? Hell when I was in Oz I couldn't even find Gem, there was cricket on it one day, and couldn't get it. Mind you that says moe bout me than the channel, just it a shame it's getting buried there I think.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ouch that not really good is it? Hell when I was in Oz I couldn't even find Gem, there was cricket on it one day, and couldn't get it. Mind you that says moe bout me than the channel, just it a shame it's getting buried there I think.

Meh, it's an old mentality from a viewing perspective... instead of selecting channel 90, you go up to 95.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s either that or a 3:30 game, and plenty of people whinged about that.

Even kiwis blamed the 3:30 kick off for causing the low demand for tickets at the All Blacks game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s either that or a 3:30 game, and plenty of people whinged about that.

Even kiwis blamed the 3:30 kick off for causing the low demand for tickets at the All Blacks game.
Mate I not moaning, just saying how confused I would of been if still there, and maybe one or two old bastards like me. Hell I wouldn't expect them to change for the last few dinasours like me who struggle with new stuff!