• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure how true it is, but radio station I listen to here in NZ was aying that although NSW had real good ratings fron NRL final on weekend it seems that elsewhere in Aus and overseas the figures were lowest ever. Also said the number of online viewing was up, is this how sports viewing is going do you think?
Worst in over 2 decades:

AFL had similarly poor GF ratings as far as I'm aware. Hard to tell the cause though, neither game was particularly close.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure how true it is, but radio station I listen to here in NZ was aying that although NSW had real good ratings fron NRL final on weekend it seems that elsewhere in Aus and overseas the figures were lowest ever. Also said the number of online viewing was up, is this how sports viewing is going do you think?

It's been pretty rare in recent years that a non-Sydney team hasn't been in the Grand Final so that probably affected the ratings elsewhere in the country.

I'd say online viewing will only increase because more and more people will be accessing FTA TV channels on their TV via the internet through the relevant app rather than an aerial and the digital TV channel.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
there’s another 400k who watched via BVOD, which didn’t exist 4 years ago and needs to be factored in for those long term figures. It’s misleading to say lowest ever.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Worst in over 2 decades:

AFL had similarly poor GF ratings as far as I'm aware. Hard to tell the cause though, neither game was particularly close.

This was the 1st year that you could stream the afl gf on 7+ also the last 2 afl gf have been in prime time in lock down with nothing else to do. Its also the 1st time in a few years you could have a party at your own house or even go to a pub & watch it! all factors with such poor ratings.

As for the NRL, ppl may hate to admit it but if the storm are in it its a massive ratings boost. I personally didnt watch the game as I purely had zero interest in 2 western sydney sides late on a sunday night.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah doubt the real numbers are actually that much lower.
Apparently they were here in NZ Derps, thats what started the conversation on air, which is a little odd as there never a NZ team in the final so being 2 NSW teams made no difference.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
As for the NRL, ppl may hate to admit it but if the storm are in it it’s a massive ratings boost. I personally didnt watch the game as I purely had zero interest in 2 western sydney sides late on a sunday night.

Yeh and the Panthers are easily the team that unless you’re supporting them, it’s much easier to take no interest or dislike them.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I couldn’t stand watching the game because of what both clubs represent, there’s over 1000 pokie machines between these clubs, and each machine sucks $40k-$100k annually out of the community. Both Paramatta and Penrith are funded by leagues clubs who gross well over $100million a year between them.

Pokie machines are a scourge on society and the clubs use each other to sport-wash the perception that the leagues clubs actually contribute a net-gain back to society, and the NRL clubs are too happy to support.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
what devices? I know a lot of ppl in new housing estates that don’t have antennas we’re unable to watch it up till this year.

The AFL Grand Final will be made available on 7plus for select connected TV, set-top-box and gaming console devices, and in 720p HD! In addition to this, you can watch the AFL Grand Final live on Seven’s free-to-air broadcast on Channel 7 and 7HD.

On what devices can I watch the AFL Grand Final?

You can watch the AFL Grand Final on the following devices:

• Telstra TV
  • Samsung Tizen (2016 and later)
  • Fetch TV
  • Apple TV
  • PlayStation 4 and 5
  • Android TV / Google TV
  • LG TV

Rated higher on BVOD last year than it did this year

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The AFL Grand Final will be made available on 7plus for select connected TV, set-top-box and gaming console devices, and in 720p HD! In addition to this, you can watch the AFL Grand Final live on Seven’s free-to-air broadcast on Channel 7 and 7HD.

On what devices can I watch the AFL Grand Final?

You can watch the AFL Grand Final on the following devices:

• Telstra TV
  • Samsung Tizen (2016 and later)
  • Fetch TV
  • Apple TV
  • PlayStation 4 and 5
  • Android TV / Google TV
  • LG TV

Rated higher on BVOD last year than it did this year

yeah that was this year

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wookie is correct, AFL GF was available to stream via 7Plus on certain platforms at least since 2020, similar list of devices to what he posted above

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
certainly wasnt in melbourne or regional vic till this year

Nah, it was…

7Plus has been steaming it, poorly, since 2020.

It’s the only game they obtained streaming rights to from Telstra, likely part of the amended deal due to Covid, until the next broadcast deal kicks in.