• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Nah, it was…

7Plus has been steaming it, poorly, since 2020.

It’s the only game they obtained streaming rights to from Telstra, likely part of the amended deal due to Covid, until the next broadcast deal kicks in.

do you live in melb or regional vic? I do & I know because I know who could not watch the 2020 or 2021 gf

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Slim asked which platform, ie. what device did you try to watch it on. Because you probably tried on one which didn’t support it.

This was the list in 2020 which supported steam among AFL GF via 7Plus(irrelevant of state) :

The AFL Grand Final will be made available on 7plus for select connected TV, set-top-box and gaming console devices, and in 720p HD! You can also watch the AFL Grand Final live on Channel 7 and 7HD.

On what devices can I watch the AFL Grand Final?

You can watch the AFL Grand Final on the following devices:

Telstra TV

Samsung Tizen (2016 and later)

Fetch TV

Apple TV

PlayStation 4

Android TV

*Android TV refers to the TV/Set Top Box version of the Android Operating System, which is available on select Smart TV's and devices such as the nVidia Shield and Foxtel Now Box. For more information on Android TV, click here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apologies if mention elsewhere…

Cheika on Australian Story tonight…

That’s the second rugby related episode recently after their Pocock profile.

Edit: holy crap that head gash

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You're right @Adam84 but really it's every club in the comp. They are either plastered with gambling sponsors or their ground is named after one. Can't go 10 minutes without Joel Caine telling me to gamble responsibly.... on this 'value' pick

Panthers were (and still are) particularly bad. They've divested from a number of licensed clubs but still own clubs in Penrith, Port Macquarie, Bathurst, Richmond, Glenbrook and Wallachia.

They used to own several more largely centred in lower socio-economic areas.

It went well beyond the concept that it was a league's club to support the operations of the local football team. It was (and still is) a pokies empire across NSW.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just maybe people will start to wake up. So, let’s look at how to create a National Domestic Rugby Competition.

Given the NZers want 70% of the revenue for at most 50% of the cost, and with a Lions tour and 2 WC’s there has never been a better time to tie up a broadcast deal for a National Domestic Competition

Reactions: dru

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Just maybe people will start to wake up. So, let’s look at how to create a National Domestic Rugby Competition.

Given the NZers want 70% of the revenue for at most 50% of the cost, and with a Lions tour and 2 WC’s there has never been a better time to tie up a broadcast deal for a National Domestic Competition
I'm a 100% with you half, but what does the reality of a domestic competition look like.

For all of McLennans grandiose statements, there seems little if any inkling of how it would be done.

We essentially have 5 domestic Rugby teams, at a minimum you would need 8 to start, maybe you could start with 6 but only for a year or two at most.
It just concerns me that there has been absolutely no leaking of any potential stuctures moving forward, so what is the plan.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm a 100% with you half, but what does the reality of a domestic competition look like.

For all of McLennans grandiose statements, there seems little if any inkling of how it would be done.

We essentially have 5 domestic Rugby teams, at a minimum you would need 8 to start, maybe you could start with 6 but only for a year or two at most.
It just concerns me that there has been absolutely no leaking of any potential stuctures moving forward, so what is the plan.

I think this is mis-characterised. We have two major Unions which have traditionally provided rep teams, have traditional and well established club teams, and more recently each union also has it's own franchise which have displaced the traditional rep team. Then we have have a further three franchises developed from less established Unions. I'd suggest ACT has a well developed and traditional club comp too, but they lack the population for professional expansion. The trick becomes how to integrate the NSW and Qld provincial teams to create new franchises under the two major unions. Melbourne and WA have club comps but not currently at the level of NSW and Qld.

Qld clubs demonstrated a lack of interest for development of new professional teams at the establishment of the NRC. But Qld as a union showed it had the drive and strength needed to pull the Provincial clubs behind two new teams that were organised and managed by the Union itself. That will work to grow from 5 to 6 Domestic pro teams

It seemed to me that NSWRU at the development of the NRC buried their head in the sand to let the Clubs resolve themselves through self negotiated partnerships and other arrangements. To be fair the competition initiation was rushed and with better preparation could be handled with a lot more finesse by RU. And while the implementation was poor in terms of establishing teams with longevity and competitiveness, the club scene still managed to provide a number teams with aspirations in the new comp. It's a different political problem, but one with more promise (in terms of team numbers) if issues can be resolved. That will work (or should do with effort) to grow from 6 to 9 teams. The politics is no harder for two teams than it is for three. In some ways three might be easier as it offers more opportunity for SRU club aspirations.

Both WA and Melbourne I imagine would morph into new arrangements pretty well. ACT is a different matter. There seems to be insufficient population base for a fan base that can manage two professional teams. But the Brumbies could not be left at their current strength if a new comp was to have any chance at reasonably equitable competition. Some form of player movement would be necessary.

Also, don't forget Fiji. Thereby the comp grows to 10.

There are warts all over it to be sure, but so does sticking it out with the Kiwis.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think is mis-characterised. We have two major Unions which have traditionally provided rep teams, have traditional and well established club teams, and more recently each union also has it's own franchise which have displaced the traditional rep team. Then we have have a further three franchises developed from less established Unions. I'd suggest ACT has a well developed and traditional club comp too, but they lack the population for professional expansion. The trick becomes how to integrate the NSW and Qld provincial teams to create new franchises under the two major unions. Melbourne and WA have club comps but not currently at the level of NSW and Qld.

Qld clubs demonstrated a lack of interest for development of new professional teams at the establishment of the NRC. But Qld as a union showed it had the drive and strength needed to pull the Provincial clubs behind two new teams that were organised and managed by the Union itself. That will work to grow from 5 to 6 Domestic pro teams

It seemed to me that NSWRU at the development of the NRC buried their head in the sand to let the Clubs resolve themselves through self negotiated partnerships and other arrangements. To be fair the competition initiation was rushed and with better preparation could be handled with a lot more finesse by RU. And while the implementation was poor in terms of establishing teams with longevity and competitiveness, the club scene still managed to provide a number teams with aspirations in the new comp. It's a different political problem, but one with more promise (in terms of team numbers) if issues can be resolved. That will work (or should do with effort) to grow from 6 to 9 teams. The politics is no harder for two teams than it is for three. In some ways three might be easier as it offers more opportunity for SRU club aspirations.

Both WA and Melbourne I imagine would morph into new arrangements pretty well. ACT is a different matter. There seems to be insufficient population base for a fan base that can manage two professional teams. But the Brumbies could not be left at their current strength if a new comp was to have any chance at reasonably equitable competition. Some form of player movement would be necessary.

Also, don't forget Fiji. Thereby the comp grows to 10.

There are warts all over it to be sure, but so does sticking it out with the Kiwis.
We could invite kiwis to apply for entry... we will select 2 teams making it 12.

EDIT: I'd make it Hawks Bay and another NPC team lol

• Haha
Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We could invite kiwis to apply for entry... we will select 2 teams making it 12.

EDIT: I'd make it Hawks Bay and another NPC team lol
Na mate ,you need to make it the Mighty Nua and Ngati Porou East Coast, you only going to want amateur players in teams. ;)