• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't know if I'm really late to the party but saw my first proper Wallaby ad for the world cup last night when flicking between the Cricket and the Matilda's game. Rarely watch any fta TV so maybe it been out for a while.

Eddie in Barber with Ella in the waiting chairs. Clever ad. Feels like it's been a while since they've done them in that style. Probably the last Lions tour.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
∆∆∆∆

Sorry about the above post am posting from my phone and hit the post button and could not get an edit button.

Anyway been a while since I was last on but I have a question and would love to know if anyone knows the answer.

Tonight on the Seven news they gave Sevens ratings for the Matilda's match and then gave the Australia wide rating across all platforms.

What surprised me was the non Seven ratings were roughly 75% of the FTA rating

I can only assume Optus and YouTube.

Does anyone know if the 75% non FTA is common across spots broadcasting.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
∆∆∆∆

Sorry about the above post am posting from my phone and hit the post button and could not get an edit button.

Anyway been a while since I was last on but I have a question and would love to know if anyone knows the answer.

Tonight on the Seven news they gave Sevens ratings for the Matilda's match and then gave the Australia wide rating across all platforms.

I think they have a new method of calculation, they were talking about it on ABC radio a couple of days ago.

They have an actual broadcast number for live viewing and a separate number that combines live broadcast, streaming and recording (I assume on foxtel) over the next 7 days. They were saying ABC has a new show that only gets about 200k live but over 7 days is about 1.1m

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I think they have a new method of calculation, they were talking about it on ABC radio a couple of days ago.

They have an actual broadcast number for live viewing and a separate number that combines live broadcast, streaming and recording (I assume on foxtel) over the next 7 days. They were saying ABC has a new show that only gets about 200k live but over 7 days is about 1.1m
That last stat really highlights the changing nature of how we watch things, 80% of your audience may well choose to be watching a program at a later date.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
∆∆∆∆

I'd say so. The ability to pause, go back and not watch ads is great. I watch a lot of the NRL and there is no chance I'll watch any of it on ch9. Fox League and Kayo have made the product so much better. Commentary is better as well and part of me wonders if they are working harder at it because the user is paying.
That last stat really highlights the changing nature of how we watch things, 80% of your audience may well choose to be watching a program at a later date.
It's made life easier. I have family that like to watch FTA dramas and once upon a time you had to be there to watch it but now you can go on 7+ and watch them later.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Follows a pattern, was reading a few months back that "The Project" on Ten, has the highest rewatch on Ten Play and youtube than any other News or Current Affairs shows, and if you add streaming to the FTA numbers its far more successful than the FTA numbers indicate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A lot of people watch via apps rather than the FTA channel even if watching live. We no longer have FTA channels on our main TV and watched the Matildas via the 7plus app through the TV.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Think you can really pump your numbers up as well through a good social media strategy of getting clips out there and drawing eyes in.

In regards to the 'Project' I'd imagine their demographic is one that would have more of an online presence then that of the 7:30 Report on ABC so it becomes a bit of how you frame your stats. I'd love to know the difference in revenue between what advertisers pay for a banner ad on a website/app and FTA TV.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Didn't think the latest GBR was as good as their other stuff, Merts' interview wasn't great. Drew's story about his antics on the flight home from SA was eyebrow raising, impressed we didn't hear about it at the time.

Next week should be good with Dan Carter the guest.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think I have watched 2 rugby games live in the last 9 years (since my daughter was born). I generally start at about 8.30pm and when I skip ads and stoppages I pretty much catch up by the end of the live game. I have no interest in the half time, pre game or post game programming so this works well for me.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think I have watched 2 rugby games live in the last 9 years (since my daughter was born). I generally start at about 8.30pm and when I skip ads and stoppages I pretty much catch up by the end of the live game. I have no interest in the half time, pre game or post game programming so this works well for me.

I’m exactly the same…

Similar reasons, but it also means I can do more social activities on my Friday and Saturday nights and watch the game a lot more relaxed later on.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Stay consistent and it’ll keep getting traction. Not like they they are short on content with the WC coming up.
They mentioned at the start this was ep 5 of 6, so it appears it was only commissioned for the TRC period. I'd suggest it's been a success, so hopefully it gets renewed for further eps

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't think the latest GBR was as good as their other stuff, Merts' interview wasn't great. Drew's story about his antics on the flight home from SA was eyebrow raising, impressed we didn't hear about it at the time.

Next week should be good with Dan Carter the guest.
Drew Mitchell has good stories, we never heard about the ticketing thing with Scotland Yard at the 2015 RWC at the time did we, or Higginbotham fainting during a team meeting in Argentina or even stealing the Queen's drink.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing I really like about Stan's coverage of rugby is the highlight options, which gives you the choice of a full replay, 20 min or 6-7 min highlights package.
This is great, for me with the NPC starting this week I can flick through and watch highlights of all the games at my leisure.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
One thing I really like about Stan's coverage of rugby is the highlight options, which gives you the choice of a full replay, 20 min or 6-7 min highlights package.
This is great, for me with the NPC starting this week I can flick through and watch highlights of all the games at my leisure.
I love watching the 7min highlight for SS/QPR games. I do wish they treated games like tv shows (just start playing the next one)