• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Wallabies doco…drama? now available to stream on Stan

IMG_0930.jpeg

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
A few sound issues aside I enjoyed the new call up show Stan are doing. It's a no nonsense run through the lineups game by game with a bit of a preview for each match. I find so much of the "comedy" they try in the other shows very hit and miss so it's great to have something focussed on the rugby.
I wish there was someway that they could add chapters where you can select what games you are interested in.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting that Brett McKay and Harry Jones have parted ways with the Roar and now have a new podcast on their own. Wonder what went down.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting that Brett McKay and Harry Jones have parted ways with the Roar and now have a new podcast on their own. Wonder what went down.
Brett is now writing for RugbyPass, Harry still writes for the Roar on occasion. I don't think there is any bad blood, probably just a better job offer for Brett and with the move it made sense for them to do their own podcast instead of the roar's one.

I've never particularly enjoyed Harry's podcasting style (or prose in general), so I'm happy to have a new set of hosts at the Roar and more rugby podcasts overall.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
The Wallabies doco…drama? now available to stream on Stan

View attachment 18267
deserves its own discussion thread but whatever you think of eddie this is enormously well done so far, like all the best sports docos (drive to survive, QB, lions vids back in the day) content like this is what drives fan engagement. RA should be desperate for 9 to have it on its FTA in a primetime slot, although the nrl would kill it quickly

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just watched Stan's new Thursday night show - "The night before gameday" and I'm not exactly sure what the point of it is.

Justin Harrison and Steve Hoiles did a run down of every game looking at the team lists and making a prediction, so it was basically the exact same thing as the Wednesday show the call up, but hosted by Harrison so significantly worse. Maybe they'll differentiate a bit as the season goes on but at this stage there doesn't seem to be much point to it and I would've thought Thursday is where you do a bit more of the fun variety show with more personal player/coach interviews and the like. I'd also rather a Monday or Tuesday review show, but I assume this might still be coming.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd also rather a Monday or Tuesday review show, but I assume this might still be coming.

I would definitely prefer a quality over quantity approach. I hope Stan don't try and cram three programs into the week.

I think the Wednesday show doing a review and preview would be good and leave the Thursday show to a more general 'get to know the teams/personalities' type program as you mention.

Harrison being the anchor for any of these programs seems an odd choice though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I would definitely prefer a quality over quantity approach. I hope Stan don't try and cram three programs into the week.

I think the Wednesday show doing a review and preview would be good and leave the Thursday show to a more general 'get to know the teams/personalities' type program as you mention.

Harrison being the anchor for any of these programs seems an odd choice though.
They might get a bit more content and difference into the shows when the Club seasons kick off? Would mind a quick around the grounds of Club land as well.

My choice would be a Monday Review show and a Thursday Preview show. When the season starts they should be able to grab more coaches, players for segments.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
They might get a bit more content and difference into the shows when the Club seasons kick off? Would mind a quick around the grounds of Club land as well.

My choice would be a Monday Review show and a Thursday Preview show. When the season starts they should be able to grab more coaches, players for segments.
There's a whole other show for that - Clubland, and in my view it's the best one they've done. Having the full show dedicated mean they do multiple interviews, look at all the comps and get to dive into the character of the clubs and people around them much than when it's just 5 minutes lip service as part of an hour long show.

I'm hoping there will be more differentiation as the season builds too, but I was pretty surprised to see there wasn't more from the get go. It was almost like they hadn't talked between the different hosting teams about what each show would be. In the end the biggest difference (aside from the identity of the hosts themselves) was one had them behind a desk and the other in armchairs.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Harrison has good in depth analysis IMO. Just not during a live broadcast where his slow and monotone voice/calling of a game can’t keep up with the speed of super/test rugby.
I think Harrison is one of the better commentators on Stan, based on his content. He is the only one who has the guts to criticise popular players or teams and will point out what he is seeing.

That being said, he has a terrible voice for broadcasting and this is a pretty important part of his job. His voice and pronunciation is streets ahead of Horan and SBW

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Harrison is one of the better commentators on Stan, based on his content. He is the only one who has the guts to criticise popular players or teams and will point out what he is seeing.

See I haven't noticed that and it's one of the reasons I have been critical of him. As the CEO of RUPA I feel like he's a bit hamstrung with what he is willing to say. I've noticed there are a couple of players he won't touch and I find that frustrating.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
See I haven't noticed that and it's one of the reasons I have been critical of him. As the CEO of RUPA I feel like he's a bit hamstrung with what he is willing to say. I've noticed there are a couple of players he won't touch and I find that frustrating.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat - I think he has great analysis, but his role at RUPA is tying him down (well to me). It's also my perception that there are some "protected species" in the player group he won't go near.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Reds v tahs rated 736k last night:

Sounds like solid numbers, particularly given the late shift to the main channel.
They've changed the way they report ratings this year. That 736k is "reach", measures anyone who watched for 1 min while the show was on.

The 166k is closer to what the ratings would have been reported last year and previously.

Unfortunately, it means a lot of people watched a little bit, and not very many watched a lot. But 166k is better than what it would have got on Gem.

Matildas did 1.4m reach and 666k total audience as a comparison

Last edited: