• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That’s fine guys.

comparing speeds to other countries is kind of moot when you consider how huge this country is and how little populated it is. The original NBN was due for massive blowouts and a lot of the country still doesn’t have FTTP.

typical labor with big ideas and no way to pay for anything. Hopefully they can fix this NDIS white elephant soon… otherwise it will be for Dutton & Co to deal with in 2025 and beyond
Yeah true. India is notoriously tiny and well developed. Gives them a big leg up on us.

Funding is an issue. Shame the government doesn't have access to cheaper money than any other organisation in the country.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sure Joe Average could could see that the entire copper/FTTN project was an absolutely politically petty technological fail, that would end up costing more when it would eventually need to be replaced to bring Australia into the 21st century...

The idea was pretty much a laughing stock among anyone who knew just a little bit about this topic.

Anyways...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
comparing speeds to other countries is kind of moot when you consider how huge this country is and how little populated it is. The original NBN was due for massive blowouts and a lot of the country still doesn’t have FTTP.

The size of the country isn't overly relevant. Our population is highly concentrated in major cities, far more so than many other countries.

We have fibre optic connections between all the major cities. Building FTTP in major cities and regional centres isn't any more difficult in Australia than anywhere else and that would cover 90%+ of the population.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
it’s the cost of the original network why it had to be scaled back. It was unfeasible (another labor blowout project)

You will still be able to get FTTP (albeit years later) but pushing the installation cost back onto the consumer (who wanted that technology) was the best business model.

HFC connections thru Foxtel/telstra provides plenty of bandwidth for the consumer. If you want to pay for fibre to your premises then go right ahead.

most people use their mobile phones anyways - like me Joe average.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting from the US, a new streaming service.

The world of sports media is about to get a massive new player.

Disney, Fox Corp. and Warner Bros. Discovery are planning to a launch a new streaming joint venture that will make all of their sports programming — including ESPN, Fox Sports and TNT — available under a single service,

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not sure they stuck the landing but this is surely satirical.

Have watched Whistleblowers (it’s excellent). This is legit. Think of it like a teams unopposed team run. He is as much practising his communication as anything.

It’s very interesting

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Interesting from the US, a new streaming service.

The world of sports media is about to get a massive new player.

Disney, Fox Corp. and Warner Bros. Discovery are planning to a launch a new streaming joint venture that will make all of their sports programming — including ESPN, Fox Sports and TNT — available under a single service,

Disney are in financial doo-doo, not just with ESPN, as are Warners with Discovery. They've been struggling post-Covid with numbers down after big investments now unsustainable. This looks like a bury the hatchet, let's not commit joint suicide thing.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
shout out to Giteau, Drew Mitchell and Ashley-Cooper's latest podcast, 'Kick offs & Kick ons'. Essentially the same as their previous GBR one but their own venture. Wonder what happened and from whose side.

Either way, happy to have more Aussie podcasts and focus, get round it.
Bizarre listening to their chat with Johnny Wilkinson. Johnny's intense, tragic stories don't gel well with their fart gags. Johnny's career sounds abbbsolutely miserable.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
I rated Johnny's chat highly. a genuinely fascinating mind to get a look inside of. I have started listening to his own podcast after that KOKO episode.

I agree that the super intense work ethic of Johnny is a glaring contrast to the likes of Drew who appears to be the complete opposite. It was a different episode but still worthwhile.

Reactions: MLF

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Disney are in financial doo-doo, not just with ESPN, as are Warners with Discovery. They've been struggling post-Covid with numbers down after big investments now unsustainable. This looks like a bury the hatchet, let's not commit joint suicide thing.
From what I've heard Discovery are a terrible organisation these days. Have become a click bait style entertainment network and it's now leading to their fall. Use to have good stuff and now it's cheap ghost hunting and pirate treasure shows.

Reality TV became such a huge draw that it was being churned out and eventually became scripted and created reality. Not surprising that the focus has shifted to sports for a lot of these platforms. Netflix started with DTS, Full Swing etc and I think the 6 Nations series is quality. Now we see them starting live events and the broadcaster for WWE Raw.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
From what I've heard Discovery are a terrible organisation these days. Have become a click bait style entertainment network and it's now leading to their fall. Use to have good stuff and now it's cheap ghost hunting and pirate treasure shows.

Its been like that for two decades at least.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
4 magazine shows on Stan a week this yr.

Apart from not being able to get the top14 for rugby fans it’s a brilliant package. Still a bit pricey considering the only thing on Stan I have watched is Yellowstone & a moody Christmas on Christmas Day a yr ago

Reactions: MLF

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
A few sound issues aside I enjoyed the new call up show Stan are doing. It's a no nonsense run through the lineups game by game with a bit of a preview for each match. I find so much of the "comedy" they try in the other shows very hit and miss so it's great to have something focussed on the rugby.