• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Whether it's on the main Nine channel or GEM is irrelevant if no one is advertising it or directing eyes there. In it's current FTA format we are essentially chasing 'channel flickers' and they aren't a quantifiable or reliable market of people to try and capture.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Not really relevant here but shows that its not just Rugby with its issues. The production company for the A-League broadcasts has collapsed yesterday - throwing in doubt the games being shown on TV. That combined with Paramount wanting to get out of Australia would mean a few headaches over Easter.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Not really relevant here but shows that its not just Rugby with its issues. The production company for the A-League broadcasts has collapsed yesterday - throwing in doubt the games being shown on TV. That combined with Paramount wanting to get out of Australia would mean a few headaches over Easter.
You gotta hand it to Australian soccer - when they screw things up, they do it properly. They'll be a case study in how to burn through PE money.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The A-League is about to sign a production deal with NEP to keep broadcasting:

NEP already produce almost every other major sport in the country and will likely now gobble up all of Global's resources and staff, which will be the second production company named Global they've taken over.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The A-League is about to sign a production deal with NEP to keep broadcasting:

NEP already produce almost every other major sport in the country and will likely now gobble up all of Global's resources and staff, which will be the second production company named Global they've taken over.
Did Global have their own infrastructure for broadcast, or were they already using NEP at stadiums, with Global just doing the mixing, etc? Crazy if they had their own infrastructure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did Global have their own infrastructure for broadcast, or were they already using NEP at stadiums, with Global just doing the mixing, etc? Crazy if they had their own infrastructure.

They had built their own remote broadcast facilities, but from what I understand of NEP they're stretched pretty thin with the amount of work they have on so I reckon they'll be keen to integrate whatever they can get.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
They had built their own remote broadcast facilities, but from what I understand of NEP they're stretched pretty thin with the amount of work they have on so I reckon they'll be keen to integrate whatever they can get.
Well, NEP would normally be able to predict their workload very accurately - adding 12 games per weekend (mens and womens) wouldn't fit that easily! So, yes, you'd expect they'd have to pick up all the Global people and assets, at least in the short term.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Gotta look past the whole “but the Americans didn’t even watch!” side of it and realise how much marketing here it has generated.

Every mainstream media outlet was reporting on NRL Vegas (and it was all positive prior to an on field incident). Our ‘showpiece’ event has received absolutely zero attention.

Not to mention the fact rugby league fans, as basic as they are, are now creaming themselves over the fact their great game was played on the same turf as an American Super Bowl.

Personally I’d love it if our game was solvent enough to piss away millions of dollars and play some games over in the USA.
But that would take vision and risk .. we’re taking about rugby union here .

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If league became a sport in private schools especially gps .. rugby would be officially dead in this country .

It is a sport in private schools. Just not GPS(NSW and Qld)/CAS/ISA/TAS/AIC schools. Who make up a tiny percentage of those schools. St Greg's plays in both the ISA for Rugby and Metro Catholic Schools for League. The MCS was at least in my days loaded with future NRL players. Probably still is.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
It is a sport in private schools. Just not GPS(NSW and Qld)/CAS/ISA/TAS/AIC schools. Who make up a tiny percentage of those schools. St Greg's plays in both the ISA for Rugby and Metro Catholic Schools for League. The MCS was at least in my days loaded with future NRL players. Probably still is.
League is now played by AIC schools. So is AFL too actually.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Whether it's on the main Nine channel or GEM is irrelevant if no one is advertising it or directing eyes there. In it's current FTA format we are essentially chasing 'channel flickers' and they aren't a quantifiable or reliable market of people to try and capture.
The current deal is dumb.
We are on a separate streaming app from everything else. How many more eyeballs would we get from channel flicker equivalents if they had us all on the same app. I’d say a few.
Free to air is a dying medium. On your phone or cast to your tv if tv doesn’t have streaming capabilities anyways.
Should be back on Kayo/foxtel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We are on a separate streaming app from everything else. How many more eyeballs would we get from channel flicker equivalents if they had us all on the same app. I’d say a few.
Free to air is a dying medium. On your phone or cast to your tv if tv doesn’t have streaming capabilities anyways.

No.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
The Foxtel production value was so bad

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

The next 12-18 months will be pretty interesting. I think Disney are going to take all their ESPN content from Foxtel and launch their own add-on for Disney+.

I can see a likely scenario where Fox end up carving off FoxFooty and NRL on Fox as two standalone products for subscription. Whether they decide to then go after rugby again I am not sure.

Stan do a good job and have great production value and depth of rugby content, but having to pay $31 a month for it all I think it’s quite problematic.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Why? We need eyeballs. We aren’t getting that on a third string channel w no advertising and how many fence sitting fans are buying a sports app that just has rugby?
A niche product on a separate pay to watch app. Not perfect I would says we cater to pure rugby fans. How is it different to the old foxtel (no streaming) in that sense?
Sure production is good, but I’m sure there’s a path to having better production at foxtel.
Biggest issue is the product sucks compared to what afl and nrl offer
I’ve moved back to aus after 8 years overseas and the delta in the quality of the product is enormous with respect to television.
I’ll watch tests but haven’t watched more than a handful of super games. Have Kayo and will watch afl (can’t bring myself to watching league with any regularity)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why? We need eyeballs. We aren’t getting that on a third string channel w no advertising and how many fence sitting fans are buying a sports app that just has rugby?
A niche product on a separate pay to watch app. Not perfect I would says we cater to pure rugby fans. How is it different to the old foxtel (no streaming) in that sense?
Sure production is good, but I’m sure there’s a path to having better production at foxtel.
Biggest issue is the product sucks compared to what afl and nrl offer
I’ve moved back to aus after 8 years overseas and the delta in the quality of the product is enormous with respect to television.
I’ll watch tests but haven’t watched more than a handful of super games. Have Kayo and will watch afl (can’t bring myself to watching league with any regularity)

I feel like we’ve been over this so often…

So without little effort I’m just going to repeat that Stan brought higher ratings, more promotion, and greater FTA and Wallaby coverage.