• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Out of curiosity I did a quick search and it looks like Stan Venue has been widely rolled out across the country so availability in pubs is not an issue...

Yes, Stan Sport has fewer subscribers than Kayo but that one FTA Saturday game is drawing in significantly larger viewing numbers than what an entire round of Australian games used to get on Foxtel.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it not more the case that a lack of FTA presence actively reduces your existing fan-base (rather than an FTA presence providing growth opportunities). Particularly given runaway inflation is currently arse-fucking the discretionary budgets of all but the most asset rich fuckers in the country/world.

Sure, but there's literally no appetite for a FTA only deal for Super Rugby.

Likewise RA is in no position to take substantially less revenue on the basis that over a number of years they could hopefully see some growth.

Lastly, no one is going to start at Super Rugby or lower level as an introduction to rugby on TV and then say I like this, I might check out one of those Wallabies matches on TV. It's the other way around. We of course come back to the age old problem that the Wallabies being at least watchable and then hopefully winning some games is absolutely critical.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure, but there's literally no appetite for a FTA only deal for Super Rugby.

Likewise RA is in no position to take substantially less revenue on the basis that over a number of years they could hopefully see some growth.

Lastly, no one is going to start at Super Rugby or lower level as an introduction to rugby on TV and then say I like this, I might check out one of those Wallabies matches on TV. It's the other way around. We of course come back to the age old problem that the Wallabies being at least watchable and then hopefully winning some games is absolutely critical.
Yeah makes sense. Definitely arse-about though.

JRugby2

Peter Burge (5)
It is the lowest order priority in my view. The concept that there are a meaningful number of people who will go from being non-fans to core fans who will spend money on the game just because they flick channels at the right time is absolute fantasy stuff.
What is the lowest order priority? I don't think anyone is arguing this point in isolation. People watch games when their teams are successful and the sport is entertaining and a good broadcast deal is supplementary to this.

Assuming we miraculously manage to tick those boxes, if we are then on the channels and networks that are most available to the biggest audience we can access, than we will convert casual-fans to core fans.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Out of curiosity I did a quick search and it looks like Stan Venue has been widely rolled out across the country so availability in pubs is not an issue...

Yes, Stan Sport has fewer subscribers than Kayo but that one FTA Saturday game is drawing in significantly larger viewing numbers than what an entire round of Australian games used to get on Foxtel.
The Stan venue thing doesn’t mean much when people still don’t choose to play the games in pubs etc. I went to the sporting globe on the Gold Coast the other week when a reds game was on. Maybe 10 TVs with sport on and not a single one was playing the rugby. QLD is supposed to be a heartland for the game and the pub that you’d think would be most likely to have it on a screen, wasn’t even bothering.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Stan venue thing doesn’t mean much when people still don’t choose to play the games in pubs etc. I went to the sporting globe on the Gold Coast the other week when a reds game was on. Maybe 10 TVs with sport on and not a single one was playing the rugby. QLD is supposed to be a heartland for the game and the pub that you’d think would be most likely to have it on a screen, wasn’t even bothering.

Sure, that comes down to demand... if people want to watch it they'll put it on.

But a regular complaint about rugby on Stan was that it wasn't available in pubs which is really no longer the case.

On a side note I was in Auckland recently and there seemed to be more interest in NRL and A-League on the screens.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Why would a pub pay for Stan when they only have the Rugby?

Do you guys realise how much public venues have to pay for Fox, Sky and then Stan as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Do you guys realise how much public venues have to pay for Fox, Sky and then Stan as well.
Stan costs for pubs are nothing compared to Foxtel.

Some large venues like leagues clubs are paying over $200k a year for Foxtel. RSLs sized venues are charged around $100k a year.

Stan prices for licensed venues start at $3k, Foxtel starts at $20k

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't imagine a sports pub in Melbourne full of Kiwis and Europeans that wouldn't have a demand for the likes of Super Rugby, All Blacks tests, the Six Nations, English Premiership Rugby and UEFA...

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

The time zone isn't ideal, but some pubs make a killing out of Champions League matches, because none of the punters have Stan yhemselves

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I can't imagine a sports pub in Melbourne full of Kiwis and Europeans that wouldn't have a demand for the likes of Super Rugby, All Blacks tests, the Six Nations, English Premiership Rugby and UEFA...
The main sports pubs in Melbourne all have Stan, Bells hotel, Imperial, Turf bar etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The main sports pubs in Melbourne all have Stan, Bells hotel, Imperial, Turf bar etc.

Yep, it's widely available:

And for those in the inner west there's a nice new little brewpub in Kingsville called Barbarian Brewery that's big on rugby, including hosting Six Nations and Premiership rugby replays during the weekends.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
He's suggesting that baseball losing it's place as "America's pastime" probably doesn't have a lot of lessons to provide us here in Australia relating to rugby.

Likewise I think he's 100% correct that the rise of esports isn't really specifically relevant to rugby. My view on esports is it is really just shifting video game usage from being something entirely played yourself to something where people choose to spend some of their time watching others play.

He's suggesting that baseball losing it's place as "America's pastime" probably doesn't have a lot of lessons to provide us here in Australia relating to rugby.

I assume you read the article, as IMO many of the issues facing Australian Rugby, also effect US Baseball, and US Baseball is coming from a very strong and once dominate position.

Three major points where one, 1 ] an aging demographic and how with all the competition for young people, how can Baseball claw back some audience share. 2] Baseball is seen by many as a tad slow,. 3] Competition from very dominate sports of US Football & Basketball, similar to AFL & NRL.

Likewise I think he's 100% correct that the rise of esports isn't really specifically relevant to rugby. My view on esports is it is really just shifting video game usage from being something entirely played yourself to something where people choose to spend some of their time watching others play.

The rise in E-games especially in price money and viewership is mega huge and growing rapidly, to assume its similar video games IMO, is light years away from the new reality.

In closing, if arguably at one stage one of the biggest competitions in the world who still pulled over 70 million thu the gate last year https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-attendance-mlb-tv-post-big-numbers-in-2023, is calling this an issue and is worried about it. To then assume it has or will have little effect on Australian Rugby is I think putting your head in the sand.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, eSports in Australia?

Not a big deal…

But I’m sure this isn’t the last we’ve heard of them!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see Nine have started pushing out some more promotions for the Olympics later this year, including some email blasts.

No mention yet of anything to do with Stan Sport, so far everything being pushed as Nine and NineNow content.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I see Nine have started pushing out some more promotions for the Olympics later this year, including some email blasts.

No mention yet of anything to do with Stan Sport, so far everything being pushed as Nine and NineNow content.

That's because the Olympics will be shown live through Nine's channels, and streamed through 9Now and not Stan...

I believe Stan will only contain additional content, although today's press contains something about 4K streams from the IOC.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's because the Olympics will be shown live through Nine's channels, and streamed through 9Now and not Stan...

I believe Stan will only contain additional content, although today's press contains something about 4K streams from the IOC.

I brought it up because it's been discussed on here whether 9 will use the Olympics to try and boost their Stan Sports subscriptions by putting certain events behind a paywall.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Of course you will see it on linear broadcast TV, but complementing that will be up to 40 dedicated channels on 9Now, which also features a catch-up service allowing you to relive what happened overnight.

Complementing the experience we'll deliver on Nine and 9Now, Stan will have an ad free proposition which will include 4k streams where they're delivered out from the IOC.