• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It goes without saying that participation numbers are dubious.

But there's reason for optimism, because they have ALWAYS been dubious. It's not like they only started including school clinics, 7s carnivals etc as fully participating players in 2021.

So there is still something to be said for achieving YoY growth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The trend is your friend. It just got a lot harder for newscorp to publish articles dunking on rugby and calling it dead, as well as their laughably garbage shitsheet "who killed rugby union".

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The trend is your friend. It just got a lot harder for newscorp to publish articles dunking on rugby and calling it dead, as well as their laughably garbage shitsheet "who killed rugby union".

Completely. Also fans don't want to turn into watch something that is trending down and is much maligned. Positivity creates positivity.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd be cautious about accepting those numbers as reflecting season-long playing strength.
Short term 7s carnivals and "Try Rugby" programs may be included in the count.
Deeper analysis required.

AFL have been pumping up their numbers with Auskick programs for years and im sure League do similar. Whatever creative counting needs to be done to get us somewhat level peggings with our competitors, im happy with

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't know where to put this but just read Wayne smith article on the Tahs in the SMH...but this is the bit below the article I was happy with..

Wayne Smith is one of Australia’s most respected sports writers, with a career spanning 50 years. He will be writing a weekly column in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I've never had Foxtel before, but the hotel I'm staying in does and I can't find any rugby on it. I thought Kayo/Fox still had Heineken Cup and English Prem?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Anyone have issues with the footage last night, it was the first time I have had buffering issues, I usually watch on delay of 1hr or more but this week I was about 20 minutes behind the live stream.

My download speed was about 15.5Mbps which is worse that my normal 45-50Mbps so I guess this is the problem???

Stans website says for HD you need 7.5Mbps so I should have been ok, could it buffer if more than expected people tuned in?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
And a crowd of only 9017 at Canberra stadium. Thank God the final is not being played there

That should not be too much of a surprise, cast your mind back to when seated memberships went on sale, it was unclear what would happen with crowds, or even if you would get to see your team.

I think some probably took the option of Stan Sports instead of membership and will be back next season.

Reactions: mst

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
And a crowd of only 9017 at Canberra stadium. Thank God the final is not being played there
Actually it was an improvement. We were getting crowd numbers in the 6000’s pre covid. Doesn’t matter if it’s a semi final, Force numbers have always been low. As a NSW fan, perhaps having a go at another teams crowd numbers is a bit hypercritical :rolleyes:

Reactions: mst

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone have issues with the footage last night, it was the first time I have had buffering issues, I usually watch on delay of 1hr or more but this week I was about 20 minutes behind the live stream.

My download speed was about 15.5Mbps which is worse that my normal 45-50Mbps so I guess this is the problem???

Stans website says for HD you need 7.5Mbps so I should have been ok, could it buffer if more than expected people tuned in?

Buffering was quite bad watching Shute Shield yesterday, first time I have had issues.

But the quality of the SS stream seemed vastly better resolution than any I had watched before. Maybe they are trying to stream at a higher definition and that is the issue.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)

Yeah, Stan refused to play nicely during the SRA game. I gave up and switched to a Nine network channel that was showing it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have a weird problem with getting Stan.
On the TV it works well for 10 minutes and then goes into permanent buffering mode.
Get the iPad out, link to Stan, connect it to the TV, and all is well.
Both devices are in exactly the same spot so internal internet issues don't seem to be the problem.