• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I have a weird problem with getting Stan.
On the TV it works well for 10 minutes and then goes into permanent buffering mode.
Get the iPad out, link to Stan, connect it to the TV, and all is well.
Both devices are in exactly the same spot so internal internet issues don't seem to be the problem.

i hit the go back 30seconds and hit play and the buffering disappeared.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's a 4 year old LG.

If it is able to support Stan as a native app, it could simply be a hardware issue. Made sure it has the latest software update etc for the TV firmware I assume.

i hit the go back 30seconds and hit play and the buffering disappeared.

I also tend to do this - watching live is generally OK but I have the odd buffer so I just let it run a minute behind.

Makes following on Twitter a game of Russian Roulette :D

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If it is able to support Stan as a native app, it could simply be a hardware issue. Made sure it has the latest software update etc for the TV firmware I assume.

You can skip fucking around with shitty inbuilt software by buying a $40 Chromecast and slinging it from your phone. It's what I do, never have an issue.

'Smart' TV's aren't.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You can skip fucking around with shitty inbuilt software by buying a $40 Chromecast and slinging it from your phone. It's what I do, never have an issue.

'Smart' TV's aren't.

Or get the $99 Chromecast with Google TV which comes with a remote and lets you log into all the apps through the TV so you no longer need to cast.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Or get the $99 Chromecast with Google TV which comes with a remote and lets you log into all the apps through the TV so you no longer need to cast.
I would have done that already but i got this shitty tablet with my phone package a few years back which i turned into the 'remote'.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BF77041E-BF27-4B6C-B224-A2351E648398.png

As a companion, notes from the start of this year:

“ As of December 31, there were 648,000 Kayo subscribers, 624,000 paying, compared to 372,000 subscribers, 350,000 paying, in the prior year.”

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nine CEO Mike Sneesby is pretty happy with Super Rugby

“Stan Sport is off to a fantastic start with rugby driving strong engagement. Active subscribers are approaching 150,000 and live audience numbers across Stan and Nine are attracting at around three times last year’s results across Foxtel and 10 and that’s before we add significant viewing occurring on-demand after the live event,” he said.

Mr Sneesby said of the 150,000 Stan Sport subscribers, around half are new subscribers to Stan.

Mr Sneesby said Stan Sport has proven that a combined free-to-air and subscription model does translate into a “much larger free-to-air audience and it’s translating through to a paid subscription audience”.

He said it is “exactly what we wanted to see in the model and an important learning”.

https://www.afr.com/companies/media...gest-reaching-sports-streamer-20210504-p57op6

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
If you told me that Rugby Union would be driving up the price of Nine Entertainement 6 months ago, I would have laughed. But jeez they are making it work. Even as a long suffering Foxtel subscriber, I took up a Stan subscription - the Shute Shield games tipped me over the line... I am just but one example but the rugby content is impressive so far.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
club rugby content is extremely impressive, i've watched more club rugby in the past 3 weeks then i have in the past 6 years

I wanna, but with all the other rugby going on I find it difficult to have the time. Also, sort of inundated with choice, I have no personal connection to either comp so don't know the narratives/where to start.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wanna, but with all the other rugby going on I find it difficult to have the time. Also, sort of inundated with choice, I have no personal connection to either comp so don't know the narratives/where to start.

The highlight packages are worth their weight in gold for time restrained individuals, Stan provide a short and long version for ever club game.

Speaking of Club Rugby, wasn’t one game a weekend supposed to be broadcast FTA?

Edit: Googles the club rugby FTA component:
The Shute Shield and Queensland's Premier Rugby competition will have four games broadcast on Nine throughout their seasons.

One match per finals weekend will also be broadcast on the free-to-air network.

Every other club game will be behind the Stan Sport paywall

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I never got much into club but North Sydney oval is unreal to drink beers in, picturesque, so go there and watch Norths one time if you find yourself in Sydney.

iu

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It will be interesting what happens to subscriptions once the Rugby is over for the year.

What sports will take their place and have fans who wont mind outlaying money to watch their sport?

I would love it is STAN got the rights to the UCI cycling from around the world, it used to be on Eurosport but they dropped it.