• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The standard Chromecast is a small box of wet shit compared to Chromecast with Google TV for the reasons Braveheart mentions.

My small complaint is how sensitive the remote is so if you're watching something else and press any button on that remote, the TV automatically switches the AV input to the one the Chromecast is connected to.

The whole thing is great though. It gives me access to a bunch of apps I don't have native to the TV that I use (Disney +, NFL Game Pass and a couple of FTA TV ones) plus the apps for Netflix, ABC iView, SBS on Demand, Stan etc. are better than the native one on the TV.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would seem likely that if the popularity of watching from overseas with a VPN increases then other rights holders would put pressure on Stan to shut them out.

How?

using a VPN gets around Geolocked content. I dont know how you stop people using them. I did when I was in Malaysia to watch Super Rugby. Don't think there is any way to detect a VPN.

In anycase, I am sure STan/Nine happy to take subsciptions from anyone. No matter where they live

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just going to prelude that I appreciate the job Stan is doing on the coverage it’s a refreshing change but also now noticing than the coverage is dumbing down abit. There is very little analysis compared to the first few weeks and the Rugby Heaven show pretty bland now, I’m not learning anything from the game from the show and full of pretty generic player interviews. I’m not sure if it’s creating any talking points for fans within the game. Honestly believe they would have more traction with Ben Kimber and Morgan Turinui hosting a show exactly like they did on the ruckus.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Showing in online tv guide as being televised on 9GEM so don't know what your source is

Probably hasn’t updated on all EPG yet.

Ch 9 Rugby Twitter account confirmed, it has updated my TVs EPG, and on Ch 9 website they have rescheduled a movie to the same timeslot on Gem.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How?

using a VPN gets around Geolocked content. I dont know how you stop people using them. I did when I was in Malaysia to watch Super Rugby. Don't think there is any way to detect a VPN.

In anycase, I am sure STan/Nine happy to take subsciptions from anyone. No matter where they live

Lots of the major streaming services block the IP addresses of the majority of VPNs and flash up a message that you should turn off your VPN to access it.

Stan will be happy enough for a time. The overseas rights holders won't be if it becomes clear it is easy for people overseas to access the content and even moreso if Stan is willingly selling to people in countries where they don't own the rights.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lots of the major streaming services block the IP addresses of the majority of VPNs and flash up a message that you should turn off your VPN to access it.

Stan will be happy enough for a time. The overseas rights holders won't be if it becomes clear it is easy for people overseas to access the content and even moreso if Stan is willingly selling to people in countries where they don't own the rights.

They certainly can't block all VPN IP's. Probably not going to have much luck if you are using NordVPN or something, though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
30CAD44F-2D24-4734-86EF-EB4190B8AC3F.jpeg

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Having FTA prime time for the GF is where our game should have been 20 years ago .

Just hope the game does rugby proud , it’s an opportunity to grow , way more than could have been achieved with Fox.
Abso-f**n-lutely!

Really looking forward to today and my home team is not even in it.

I just hope that Rugby Australia doesn't throw out one of the very few successful ideas they've had in those 20 years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez how much did you fellas in Aus have on Lion's tem announcement, I could of still seen it replayed on TWO sports channels here in NZ last night!!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Geez how much did you fellas in Aus have on Lion's tem announcement, I could of still seen it replayed on TWO sports channels here in NZ last night!!
Meh.

It was free live streamed on the Lions media (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and website).

I cbf watching because it is easier just to wait for the three paragraph team list announcement.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting that Lachlan Murdoch is in talks with 7. Desperate to get a FTA network. Too little too late bud. I know rugby is a very small piece of the puzzle but they must be smarting after Stan’s success.

Their rugby articles are getting even more ludicrous, “Rumours that Hooper wants to goto NRL”. Ahhhhhh ahaha.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah , lead story in today’s Australian sport is how RA risk damaging rugby by selling off potentially 15% to private equity.

There’s a story three pages in about tonight’s GF .

News have been doing their best to damage rugby for some time now.

The improvement in ratings for rugby and the push to FTA must really annoy the shit out of them . So sad .........