• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
think it would just be piggy backing off his 9 contract for the NRL. I was a SBW doubter but like what he contributed to the GF coverage. I think it is also an important recognition of the polynesian fan base of rugby. In fact it seemed like there was a strategic direction to focus a lot on that fan base in the crowd which is great from a rugby perspective.

I really enjoyed his interview with Thorn after the game, walking the sideline. He just let him speak, and Thorn was, as always, great to listen to. It just seemed to add to a special moment - two former team-mates, RWC winners, sharing another amazing moment.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd reach out to Quade and Will G in the short term. Maybe for the SRTT or the tests against France. Give them a taste and see if they are any good.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Pretty sure Fox has locked the AFL and NRL for an extended period of time.

Kayo are worried as for the first time they have a genuine rival, albeit small at this point. They'd be worried that Stan keeps picking up smaller sports to the point they have a decent offering PLUS a good entertainment package.

I know for a fact that Kayo were running a 'drown out rugby' operation in Brisbane last week, offering Kayo ambassadors (local AFL and league players) to any media outlet that would have them, talking up that weekends offering on Kayo. And fair enough I suppose.

Soccer is the really interesting one coming up. Fox have given the A-League the same treatment they gave Super Rugby, so I think the FFA will be looking at the Super AU final and thinking what could be if they ditched Fox.

A mate of mine is a banker in Syd who was talking to someone in News who reckons that ditching rugby was the greatest thing they ever did and it's not working at Nine/Stan, ROI doesn't cover the cost base, ratings are bs etc.

Knowing the MO of NewsCorp, that is the surest sign that it is in fact working very very well for 9. News is clearly anxious about 9's great model of being able to funnel casual fans to the sport via select offerings on FTA - something that they just don't have.

That's also why Lachlan Murdoch is sniffing around CH7 this week looking for a deal. Deep down, for whatever reason, the execs there are just deeply insecure about anyone else's success.

NewsCorp in Australia is going better now but was having to be funded up by the US operation with a loan facility pretty recently. Traditional Foxtel subscriptions will die when the boomers die out and be replaced with streaming. Creditors didn't even want to give Foxtel a loan.

Nine will buy the A-League and then swing around and threaten to take NRL off Kayo/Fox and onto Stan in a few years. Hugh Marks has turned the place into a juggernaught

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
NewsCorp in Australia is going better now but was having to be funded up by the US operation with a loan facility pretty recently. Traditional Foxtel subscriptions will die when the boomers die out and be replaced with streaming.

We live in a high rise building and Foxtel is delivered via cable. That is being turned off in a couple of years. The only possible replacement is streaming.

Nine will buy the A-League and then swing around and threaten to take NRL off Kayo/Fox and onto Stan in a few years. Hugh Marks has turned the place into a juggernaught

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
A mate of mine is a banker in Syd who was talking to someone in News who reckons that ditching rugby was the greatest thing they ever did and it's not working at Nine/Stan, ROI doesn't cover the cost base, ratings are bs etc.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/its-a-...nt-williams-on-broadcasting-super-rugby-2021/

This year the Super Rugby AU Final reached around 1.3 million people via Stan Sport, Channel Nine, 9Gem and 9Now, and was up 232% year on year*. The Super Rugby AU regular season was also up 162% year on year*.

Then there's

“The Stan Sport viewers are your more dedicated fans who want a deeper conversation in the game and deeper engagement in the game. We offer extended coverage around all our matches on Stan Sport compared to what we do on free-to-air – there’s much more analysis, stronger feature stories, things like that that we don’t necessarily have time to do on our free-to-air offering.

“Stan Sport is probably for your more dedicated fan at the moment, but that free-to-air exposure every week allows us to grow that dedicated fan base and grow the Stan Sport subscription even further.”

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just out of interest fellas, I was watching a programme on Aaron Smith on Sky the other day, if Stan show it, have a peek, it interesting to see some of the things he does as training. One was a hand eye coordination type one, he says it helps him react and looking to see what is happening. I always find these things fascinating being a rugby tragic, and others might find same.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
QLD Reds and Super Rugby on the Front page & Back page of Murdoch's Gold Coast Bulletin today.
It was in Harvey Norman ads, but I guess that still counts :)

Attachments

• IMG20210513091208.jpg
    IMG20210513091208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 194

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just out of interest fellas, I was watching a programme on Aaron Smith on Sky the other day, if Stan show it, have a peek, it interesting to see some of the things he does as training. One was a hand eye coordination type one, he says it helps him react and looking to see what is happening. I always find these things fascinating being a rugby tragic, and others might find same.

Best half-back ive ever seen.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

NewsCorpse HQ:

giphy.gif

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
He does have a point about Stan though. Nine only releases viewer numbers to its aligned papers, we have no way of confirming them. About 100,000 watched the final on Stan. If I was an executive and it was 89,000 I’d say our rounding policy is the nearest 100,000... Stan and Kayo are opaque

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the OzTam ratings, the final on 9's main channel came in 11th on Saturday in the 5 city metro markets with 207,000 viewers............

Last year's final on Fox attracted 89,000 viewers.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You can't believe anything from anyone. Nobody is impartial. The truth will be somewhere in the middle, I don't think the ratings were amazingly fantastical, but I'm also sure things aren't nearly as bad as News may want us to believe.

The Wallabies vs France figures will be fascinating, given they will be midweek.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Pretty much all the data I've seen points to a positive story for the game here. I'm as optimistic as I've been for some time about the future of rugby here.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
NewsCorp is also the king of misinformation on stuff like this, they continually put out info about their tabloid papers surging ahead at the same time as they were having double digit declines in circulation and nowhere near replacing them with online subs...

Also, would love to know how many people actually pay for Kayo - I got mine in a bundled subscription with the Aus, cancelled the oz subscription because work now pays, but have had Kayo free for more than a year