• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Metro FTA Audience was 323,000

- sneaked into the top 20 highest shows of the day
- NSW 145k
- QLD 70k
- Vic 53k
- WA 34k
- SA 20k

All only capital city figures

So add Stan, regional, Canberra, etc. can easily see where the 429k average was coming from

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
323,000 is very good isn't it. Rugby is an international game isn't it, that's our strong point!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Metro FTA Audience was 323,000

- NSW 145k
- QLD 70k
- Vic 53k
- WA 34k
- SA 20k

All only capital city figures

So add Stan, regional, Canberra, etc. can easily see where the 429k average was coming from

Nah that 423k would only be Gem viewers including regional, Stan is seperate.

So add in Stan and that average figure across the platforms would be 550k

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As someone who doesn't watch FTA TV this kinda blows my mind. What are these 19 other shows that so many people across the country watch in a single day?

Surely there are only so many shows like Farmer Wants a Wife?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
As someone who doesn't watch FTA TV this kinda blows my mind. What are these 19 other shows that so many people across the country watch in a single day?

Surely there are only so many shows like Farmer Wants a Wife?

News programs are often amongst the highest rated, probably make up half of that top 20

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Once again, I know Breakdown a NZ programme, but would of pleased some in Brisbane last night, as they came on wearing team jerseys for some reason, and Ken Laban was wearing a Kenmore Bears Junior's one. Apparently his grandson plays for them. I quite liked it anyway.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nine CEO confirmed Stan has an audience of 200k for the first test match, on top of the GEM broadcast this is a total of 629k
Is that enough on Stan to justify the money they are throwing at us? Kinda doesn't seem like it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is that enough on Stan to justify the money they are throwing at us? Kinda doesn't seem like it.

Earlier this year subscribers were at 150k, so it's great to see that sort of growth in viewer numbers coming into the first test of the season.

From all accounts they're really happy so far - that 200k number comes from this article where Sneesby is crowing about the success they've had.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Nine paid $30million/annum.
200’000 subscriptions at $10 -$24 each is anywhere between $24 - $57million a year in subscriptions.

Not including the advertising revenue from FTA matches which Ten last paid $4million/annum(not including Super Rugby), so assume $4-6million in advertising revenue generated.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s hard to know how it’s broken down, whether production costs are inclusive, whether some advertising was a one off overhead by Nine to establish the platform etc.

But depending on the Stan subscribers and a basic analysis of numbers, it could be providing a ROI of anywhere between $2-20million.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s hard to know how it’s broken down, whether production costs are inclusive, whether some advertising was a one off overhead by Nine to establish the platform etc.

But depending on the Stan subscribers and a basic analysis of numbers, it could be providing a ROI of anywhere between $2-20million.

Yep, noone ever works it out do they, is rugby Stan's only sport, ot do they have to buy any others? But of course rugby would be showing them a profit, they not a charity and that's great.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep, noone ever works it out do they, is rugby Stan's only sport, ot do they have to buy any others? But of course rugby would be showing them a profit, they not a charity and that's great.

There is tennis, but I wasn’t using the metric of overall subscribers, I was using the metric of those who watched the Wallabies test

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There is tennis, but I wasn’t using the metric of overall subscribers, I was using the metric of those who watched the Wallabies test

Yep, I agreeing it good, they wouldn't be paying a huge amount for tennis anyway.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallaby vs France 1st Test
Metro GEM: 323,000
Metro + Regional: 429,000
Stan: 200,000
Total: 629,000

Wallaby vs France 2nd Test
Metro GEM: 326,000
Metro + Regional: TBC
Stan: TBC
Total: TBC

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have to say my Stan Stream was shit last night (and the first test) through fetch box, sometimes no sound, sometimes no sound no picture, sometimes just would do a picture with a countdown on it. I gave up last night and just watched it on 9HDGEM... I've never had an issue all through super au / tt but the tests have been woeful.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Was fine on my Sony tv with the Stan App. Was also fine on my iPhone using the Stan app while I waited for kick off.