• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If you start at 8:45 they would be leaving at 10:30 not 12 so let’s stop with the mayo. Imagine how much all you kiwis would sook if we decide to start at 8pm in Perth as it’s best for the fans in the local market. It would be a ridiculous decision

The reality of the situation is as an administration you are obligated to maximise revenue if and 8:40/8:45 kick off is going to increase viewership and tv revenue that NZ also gets a cut of then it’s in your best interest to compromise

Before you start did the Lions go to NZ’s South Island? No as they chose to maximise their revenue by playing it somewhere that more people could go is it fair no but that’s how business works

Also before you sook NZ had to get the Perth tests moved to the third test even though most likely it makes the only game in Australia a dead rubber hurting the commercial opportunities for the game and before you go on about covid Perth has a rolling 7 day average of 0 cases and is further from Sydney than NZ is

You really are playing the victim, as for Perth having no covid, neither has NZ, but I lost being able to go to test in Wellington, as it had to be move forward by 2 weeks AND to another ground. But that is Covid and nothing to do with. And by way Perth is part of Australia which has unfortunately had a breakout.

As for late tests, isn't the usual complaint that it's hard because League and AFL are pretty popular in Aus, and you want to move the test to same kick off as 2 more popular sports?
So you not only want NZ to move games to a crap time for NZ (and it would be 11pm at earliest before you emptied staiums) and put it up against supposedly more popular sports because it suit a few people on eastern seaboard? Ok well we let you live in your world mate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think pushing back the game from a 5.05pm to 6:30pm or similar (compared to the 7.45 or 8pm) kick off is going to make enough difference in the ratings to make it a compelling reason to change.

As I said anyway BH you then take the tests head to head with AFL and League anyway. Ideally you want to play any sport in clear air without competition for viewers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bledisloe Cup lowest rating test of the year so far

Metro GEM: 323,000
Metro + Regional: 429,000
Stan: 200,000
Total: 629,000

Wallaby vs France 2nd Test
Metro GEM: 326,000
Metro + Regional: TBC
Stan: TBC
Total: TBC

Wallabies vs France 3rd Test
Metro Nine: 496,000
Metro + Regional: 691,000

Bledislow Cup Game 1
Metro Nine: 304,000
Metro + Regional: 395,000
What, you mean no one gives a shit about watching a test we are pre-ordained to lose twice in a row? Shock.

Post Covid RA have a decent shot at pushing for real reform to the test schedule. Two against the All Blacks should be the absolute maximum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Post Covid RA have a decent shot at pushing for real reform to the test schedule. Two against the All Blacks should be the absolute maximum.

Who do you play though?

I can't see us cutting down from 3 tests against the All Blacks. They're literally the only country who will play a test outside the international window that time of year.

The other time we often play outside the international test window is at the end of the year when we tack on another test to the EOYT.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who do you play though?

I can't see us cutting down from 3 tests against the All Blacks. They're literally the only country who will play a test outside the international window that time of year.

The other time we often play outside the international test window is at the end of the year when we tack on another test to the EOYT.
While people talk about cutting tests with the All Blacks the commercials need to be considered here. As all blacks tests draw good crowds and much needed coin for RA vs say playing an Argentina etc. Very good point about playing outside international window as of course other more key commercial/ practical benefit.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Who do you play though?

You think we could get some games against Japan as an option ? I think we should be looking at bringing them into the Rugby Championship.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Who do you play though?

I think the PI nations will. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. Isn't one of the the 3 AB games in the window?

Bet US would play us.

US. Fiji. Japan (in the window). 1x Bled test. France or whoever from Europe.

We are not being creative enough.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You think we could get some games against Japan as an option ? I think we should be looking at bringing them into the Rugby Championship.

I think we should too.

I just think three tests a year against the All Blacks is a commercial reality for both us and NZRU. Even if we only win a test every few years, they are critical to our financial survival.

The All Blacks brand is a big one. Japan might be a big market on its own but in terms of the global rugby audience I think tests against Japan would be far less lucrative.
I think the PI nations will. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. Isn't one of the the 3 AB games in the window?

Bet US would play us.

US. Fiji. Japan (in the window). 1x Bled test. France or whoever from Europe.

We are not being creative enough.

None of the PI nations can field anywhere near a full strength side outside of international windows. Those matches are also far, far lower value than playing the All Blacks.

I do think we should be playing at least one PI team a year but realistically it's hard to schedule in much more than that.

Like it or not, a major element of this is money. We're not playing the All Blacks three times a year just because we can't think of other teams to play.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It sucks that what we get is what makes money and not what we actually want to watch. No wonder rugby is going nowhere in this country.

As an aside, i was talking about next years Super Rugby setup with my old man on a walk and a random passer by mumbled 'Super Rugby is dead'. New comp sucks a bag of dicks, just like playing the ABs 3 times a year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I go along with how good it would be to have less games between ABs and Wallabies, I think 2 is more than enough, but people who know more than us obviously have worked out what is required for the money. I would love if their was someway to get Japan and Fiji into RC, so it can become a 1 round comp. Unfortunately without a global season it probaly never work.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I go along with how good it would be to have less games between ABs and Wallabies, I think 2 is more than enough, but people who know more than us obviously have worked out what is required for the money. I would love if their was someway to get Japan and Fiji into RC, so it can become a 1 round comp. Unfortunately without a global season it probaly never work.
Why do we need a global season? just play it in the current international windows. The real issue is that there will only be five games and not six and so all the suits will get their knickers in a twist.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH, over the years pre-COVID, I seem to recall you were the most vocal of the defenders of Super Rugby as it was then, against the perhaps more prescient of posters who foresaw the decline and end of that arrangement. No problem there, I was fully in agreement with you. But I think events have shown that the full Super Rugby setup with SA, Argentina and Japan was slowly strangling the life out of rugby here. I suspect, now, that continuing the watered down version, SRTT, will do the same.

I wonder if your present take on the importance of the three tests per year against the ABs might similarly be misplaced. Will test match attendances here be larger if our Wallabies are playing countries we are competitive with or will continued thrashings at the hands of the ABs maintain the present level of interest? I am leaning towards the former, and I think the signs are already apparent that there is waning interest in the ABs' tests.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why do we need a global season? just play it in the current international windows. The real issue is that there will only be five games and not six and so all the suits will get their knickers in a twist.
Global season would mean thet we all have same international window. Because teams like USA, Canada (and I assume Japan) are considered NH according to WR (World Rugby) rules players from those countires don't have to be made available to play during TRC season, because they have to be released for NH test season.
I only know that because USA is wanting to be considered a SH country to hopefully get Pacific comp of some sort(about same time as RC, and if they joined one now wouldn't get automatic release of players from European clubs.
I would suggest getting a Pacific type comp going with promotion.relegation to RC (or something like that), would be the biggest boon for rugby I can think of!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Global season would mean thet we all have same international window. Because teams like USA, Canada (and I assume Japan) are considered NH according to WR (World Rugby) rules players from those countires don't have to be made available to play during TRC season, because they have to be released for NH test season.
I only know that because USA is wanting to be considered a SH country to hopefully get Pacific comp of some sort(about same time as RC, and if they joined one now wouldn't get automatic release of players from European clubs.
I would suggest getting a Pacific type comp going with promotion.relegation to RC (or something like that), would be the biggest boon for rugby I can think of!
Ah. Good old WR (World Rugby), always standing in the way of a good idea.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, over the years pre-COVID, I seem to recall you were the most vocal of the defenders of Super Rugby as it was then, against the perhaps more prescient of posters who foresaw the decline and end of that arrangement. No problem there, I was fully in agreement with you. But I think events have shown that the full Super Rugby setup with SA, Argentina and Japan was slowly strangling the life out of rugby here. I suspect, now, that continuing the watered down version, SRTT, will do the same.

I wonder if your present take on the importance of the three tests per year against the ABs might similarly be misplaced. Will test match attendances here be larger if our Wallabies are playing countries we are competitive with or will continued thrashings at the hands of the ABs maintain the present level of interest? I am leaning towards the former, and I think the signs are already apparent that there is waning interest in the ABs' tests.

There's a difference between what the right thing is now vs the right thing in the future. Super Rugby wasn't working well but it was still the best option we had particularly as we were part way through a broadcast deal. There was no possibility of things changing sooner than they did and it took a pandemic and a change in broadcaster to really shake things up.

The All Blacks tests draw larger crowds than any other regular home test particularly in relation to what we can host at the same time. Maybe that will change over time but until it does, it's a commercial necessity.

I absolutely do think an expanded Rugby Championship with Japan and perhaps Fiji would be an excellent progression on that format. That would likely force a natural reduction in our tests against the All Blacks to two each year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Stan/nine deal has to be a winner for both oz rugby and stan/ nine. As I would from time to time watch shute shield on 7two if remembered when on which meant might have watched 13 games per season, now with rugby all in one spot never watched so much rugby. 250k Stan sport subscribers is amazing at this point which tells us stan/nine got rugby at a steal and next broadcast deal should see better commercials. Fox was good in early years but past its use by date as current deal with nine / Stan showed in terms of better digital sports strategy for rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallaby vs France 1st Test

Bledislow Cup Game 1
Metro GEM: 304,000

Bledisloe Cup Game 3
Metro GEM: 281,000

Wallabies vs Sprinboks
Metro GEM: 263,000

Last edited:

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

Bledislow Cup Game 1

Bledisloe Cup Game 3
Metro Nine: 281,000

Wallabies vs Sprinboks
Metro Nine: 263,000
A pretty substantial drop off after that wet thud of a Bledisloe series. However, I'm optimistic that we'll see a bounce back for the next Bokke game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Bledislow Cup Game 1

Bledisloe Cup Game 3
Metro Nine: 281,000

Wallabies vs Sprinboks
Metro Nine: 263,000
Be interesting to see figures for next game as nothing like a win against the world champions to spark some interest