• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Professionals shouldnt be playing amateur sport, period.
It’s great to see blokes get back and play at their club. Same when it happens in cricket, you look at the level of involvement someone like Labuschange has with Redlands, plays when ever he is available and reportedly gets down to training and helps out with the juniors where he can off his own bat and you can’t say that his involvement isn’t good for the game.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Professionals shouldnt be playing amateur sport, period.
No club rugby is the life blood of rugby Australia... They need the super players to come back to Shute Shield or it ruin the game.. how will they learn to play against men... :rolleyes:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s great to see blokes get back and play at their club. Same when it happens in cricket, you look at the level of involvement someone like Labuschange has with Redlands, plays when ever he is available and reportedly gets down to training and helps out with the juniors where he can off his own bat and you can’t say that his involvement isn’t good for the game.
It’s good, but I’d argue a longer and uninterrupted domestic Super Rugby season, which gives players more time at a higher level and brings in more broadcast dollars would be better for the game though.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Also, I cannot see how we can go into Test rugby immediately. The quality overall will be worse, how do we decide who to select (on form) and SA is going to be massively advantaged (even Fiji and Japan).

i think that’s a risk, but a lesser evil in the broader scheme of things, it would also be better for RSA load management because right now should be their off-season.

Flip side is it also kicks off the domestic rugby season with a high profile event

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I’d argue a longer and uninterrupted domestic Super Rugby season, which gives players more time at a higher level and brings in more broadcast dollars would be better for the game though.

I think in recent times that we've seen what effect limited opportunities can have on the game here. If we had a longer more fleshed out domestic structure that allowed for players to pursue their professional ambitions players like Mack Hansen might still be in Australia as opposed to representing Ireland.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's an absolute pipe dream. No one is ever playing their internationals at the start of their season. Even the Euro clubs play the November internationals after about 2 months of rugby.

Top 14 - 4 Sep
Premiership - 9 Sep
URC - 24 - Sep

Paul Cully suggested this, it's not from a an inside source. It's got zero legs and frankly I'd expect better from him.
The better chance/idea is getting a true global season going - although the recent heatwaves suggest summer rugby in Europe isn't a viable option anymore.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's an absolute pipe dream. No one is ever playing their internationals at the start of their season. Even the Euro clubs play the November internationals after about 2 months of rugby.

Top 14 - 4 Sep
Premiership - 9 Sep
URC - 24 - Sep

Paul Cully suggested this, it's not from a an inside source. It's got zero legs and frankly I'd expect better from him.
The better chance/idea is getting a true global season going - although the recent heatwaves suggest summer rugby in Europe isn't a viable option anymore.
Previous push for global calender(not Paul Cully) had NH nations wanting to move back July test window and also push back the finish of club season into July , which would mean later starts for club season also

yeah it’s a pipe dream..

half

Alan Cameron (40)
No club rugby is the life blood of rugby Australia... They need the super players to come back to Shute Shield or it ruin the game.. how will they learn to play against men... :rolleyes:
Did you hear about the young bloke who believed if he if he put a brick in the river, it would float downstream, go over the waterfall and then float out to sea, and run into the enemy boat and sink it.

Someone then pointed that the brick would sink, even if all the other stuff worked.

Learning from his mistake, he worked on a horse weighting machine, were he got a plank of wood and in the middle placed a fulcrum he measured the horse and got rocks to equal the horse until the plank of would was dead level. Then guessed the weight of the rocks.

AnyWho some time ago he got a job at Rugby Australia, and he maintained you could develop a mainstream football competition without a national domestic league.

The boss has finally woke up to his hhhhhmmmm errr aaagggrrr cough cough cough smarts and thinking like the rock and the river, it was never going to work.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just sharing US panel on future sports broadcasting trends... mostly US codes but interesting..

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Ah yes, I can think of nothing nicer than sitting in the East (Hale St) stadium at Suncorp in February roasting as the Western sun takes forever to drop behind the XXXX brewery and Mt Cootha.

Unless Australia is pinching the Qatari stadiums being used at the Football WC, we shouldn't even be budging and starting rugby earlier in Australian than March.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ah yes, I can think of nothing nicer than sitting in the East (Hale St) stadium at Suncorp in February roasting as the Western sun takes forever to drop behind the XXXX brewery and Mt Cootha.

Unless Australia is pinching the Qatari stadiums being used at the Football WC, we shouldn't even be budging and starting rugby earlier in Australian than March.
Super Rugby has been played in February for over 25 years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

amazing how cricket fans seem to manage, for 8 hours through the hottest part of the day.

Rugby test In Feb would likely be night games anyway

dru

Tim Horan (67)
amazing how cricket fans seem to manage, for 8 hours through the hottest part of the day.

Rugby test In Feb would likely be night games anyway

It's a silly time to be playing pro competitive rugby. But that doesn't mean that it hasn't been required. It will be what it has to be but you wouldn't choose it if you didn't have to.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My point was a global calendar was always going to be during the UK's summer which is getting less and less viable...

It would've been April-Dec imo

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When looking at different options for broadcast deals, the politics playing out over in NZ will a key part, positively or negatively, according to Steve Hansen:

"So, the relationship between the board and the exec and players at the moment is probably the worst it's ever been." said Ian Foster.

"The way they handled the new money scheme.... (former chairman) Brent Impey came out and just absolutely roasted the players with no consultation," Hansen said.

He said current boss Mark Robinson "was going to be a good CEO" but argued that Tew's departure left NZ Rugby a with relative lack of experience in its top two positions.

"I think he (Robinson) is up to the job but you've got to remember, he's just in the job," Hansen said.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hansen wants to spread the shit around and wash his own hands but Foster was his own hand-picked man.

And the wheels started falling off the silver Rolls Royce that big Steve was handed before Fozzie was put in the seat.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Hansen wants to spread the shit around and wash his own hands but Foster was his own hand-picked man.

And the wheels started falling off the silver Rolls Royce that big Steve was handed before Fozzie was put in the seat.
He'll offer himself to be the saviour soon as GM or consultant. Gus wouldn't give a shit about him at the Bulldogs if he is still doing that

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Foxtel/Kayo have secured exclusive rights to the Rugby League World Cup this year, I am fairly sure the Aussie games will still be shown on Channel Nine FTA though due to the anti-siphoning laws.

I wonder if Nine/Stan Sports made a play for any games. Their State of Origin coverage this year was largely panned by fans, I know a lot of mates (QLDERS) have watched replays of the games on Kayo/Fox after the fact because their coverage and commentary is better. I feel the Nine Rugby League offerings have been copping more criticism than love recently.

Could be good for our game if they decide to back out of the NRL market a bit and put some more dollars into whatever the next iterations of Super Rugby look like. Problem is we don't exactly have a good roadmap for them to do so.