• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Anyone here understand how streaming systems operate? I had a couple of lock-ups with Stan this and last week. Not really complaining. But I ended up swapping between my lap top and the TV. Consistently the laptop is something like 10s to 15s ahead of the TV stream. Again, not a big issue I'm simply interested.
It could depend on when you start watching - if you hit the ‘from start’ button while the game is in progress it will only play up until where the live game was at that time, at which point you have to take note of the time stamp, go through the process again and recommence where it left off. I had to do that both weeks.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
271B24CE-07C6-4FC1-9CE3-F3A25A7CA5CF.jpeg

Robinson getting eaten alive by the NZ media at the moment for the same tone deaf comments and poor awareness that endeared him to Australian Rugby supporters the past 24 months when discussing Super Rugby and the TT.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Over lunch and a few Hunter Reds we [ 7 guys age range 43 to 74, in a local pub] were discussing the Australian sporting environment, especially media deals and the future of more traditional sporting codes.

To cut to the core issue we spent some time on was in the past a media deal helped grow a sport at say park level. Further especially free to air helped grow ratings.

Our conclusion was this is no longer the case, or nowhere near previous years. Growing a sport is more difficult these days given the competition of actives not around until the last say 20 years [internet in its various egames, youtubes, tick toc etc] added to this is parents far less willing to let there children go off to the park alone to play.

We were then stuck in how you grow a sport, and how do you use or more to the point how do you change your media broadcasts to grow park players in greater numbers.

We always could be wrong, but on reflection even if wrong the trend lines all point this direction.

SOOOOOOOOOO any ideas on what or how to change media broadcasting to engage and grow the player base, in particular rugby given the dominance of AFL & NRL at our broadcast times, no ideas are silly.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Over lunch and a few Hunter Reds we [ 7 guys age range 43 to 74, in a local pub] were discussing the Australian sporting environment, especially media deals and the future of more traditional sporting codes.

To cut to the core issue we spent some time on was in the past a media deal helped grow a sport at say park level. Further especially free to air helped grow ratings.

Our conclusion was this is no longer the case, or nowhere near previous years. Growing a sport is more difficult these days given the competition of actives not around until the last say 20 years [internet in its various egames, youtubes, tick toc etc] added to this is parents far less willing to let there children go off to the park alone to play.

We were then stuck in how you grow a sport, and how do you use or more to the point how do you change your media broadcasts to grow park players in greater numbers.

We always could be wrong, but on reflection even if wrong the trend lines all point this direction.

SOOOOOOOOOO any ideas on what or how to change media broadcasting to engage and grow the player base, in particular rugby given the dominance of AFL & NRL at our broadcast times, no ideas are silly.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)

Focusing on increasing broadcast revenue there appears to be two major options being discussed post 2023, the first is to accept more of the pie from the NZRU, if they are willing to give up some of their revenue to keep Australia in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). The second is for Australia to go it alone. RA would have been buoyed a few weeks ago when both Andrew Forrest and Nine voiced their support for RA if they did decide to go with option two.
To do this a domestic comp would have to have seven, preferably eight teams. We have five already and they will form the basis of the new comp. Add in the Drua and that brings us up to six.
To get to eight we will need two new sides, forget all the talk about NSW country, QLD country, Adelaide and provincial centres, there just isn’t the player depth, fan base or potential sponsorship to support a super rugby side.
The two sides will come from Sydney and Brisbane, the two biggest rugby nurseries in Australia.
The eight sides would play each other twice with the top five sides playing a finals series culminating in a grand final.
To get to eight competitive sides playing attractive rugby we would need a player draft/central contracting model to spread the players around evenly. The salary cap would rise to six million with each club having five players that are not in the cap.
The first player would be the marquee player that is Wallaby eligible, the second player is an overseas player, the third a local junior that has come up through underage teams and grade teams, the fourth player is someone that has given seven years of continual service to the club( the Adam Reynolds rule) and the last player would have their contract paid for by a third party supporter or group of supporters.
How does a cash strapped union afford to pay for the expansion and still fund grass roots?
Last year the SRAU consisted of twenty round games and one final, twenty one games in all.
With eight teams playing two rounds and a five team finals series gives you a total of sixty one games.
If we can also attract players from overseas the calibre of Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea, Will Jordan, Malcolm Marx, Eben Etzebeth,Lukhanyo Am, Owen Farrell, Freddie Stewart, Ellis Genge and players returning such as Harry Hocking, Isaac Lucas, Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi, Sean McMahon, Emmanuel Meafou and Liam Gill.
With this new comp RA has forty more games to sell, games of higher standard because of the marquee players and interest from from overseas broadcasters because of the elite foreign players.
The players from overseas have to play fewer games and get to live in some of the most beautiful cities in the world.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^
I have argued for a National Domestic Competition since the late 90's, am starting to feel it may happen.

Me thinks the current mob in charge are the best we have had in living memory such a pity they were not there 10 years ago.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^
I have argued for a National Domestic Competition since the late 90's, am starting to feel it may happen.

Me thinks the current mob in charge are the best we have had in living memory such a pity they were not there 10 years ago.

It’s happened a few times since then in fairness

half

Alan Cameron (40)
"National Domestic Competition" - we've had that a few times....
Never anything close. Unless you consider the "No Body Really Cares" competitions, as real national competitions.

RR I am kinda pass it in many ways, for me the answer has been bleedingly obvious for decades now, so have largely pulled away as I think our current management has seen the light. Below I have listed a few things IMO a National Domestic Competition needs, [past post of mine explain in detail why and how]. So I set some essential ground rules and a Must have thinking changes.

Lets set some ground rules,

First must go for a certain number of weeks lets say around mid 20's.... meaning if we have 8 teams they play 4 rounds.

Second, must have a media deal, that provides maximum exposure to the general public.

Third, all players must play and be available.

Fourth, pick stadiums that are affordable and reflect crowds.

Fifth Have teams independent and this means getting private ownership of teams.

Sixth, the National Domestic Competition must be run and administered by the independent clubs, and they should also be responsible for funding the competition.

MUST HAVE THINKING:

The National Domestic Competition is more important to long term success that international teams.

Test match series must fit in with the National Domestic Competition not the other way around.

That RA as the governing body set the rules for a National Domestic Competition but the competition is independent from RA, with RA having little say in how its run other that to set the broader ground rules.

Set KPI's that if not reached result in management in charge of those KPI's being sacked.

Reactions: dru

half

Alan Cameron (40)
That's one term for it - unrealistic pipe dream is another
Unrealistic hhhhmmmmmm

You either have a National Domestic Competition or you don’t. The brief outline I gave above is the bones of all successful National Domestic Competitions world over.

What’s IMO unrealistic is thinking that Super Rugby has a future or that those wise and intelligent folk over in NZ make all decisions with the view of it being good for Australian Rugby. Or that you can run a Claytons, National Domestic Competition, whereby all power is held by RA and RA has the capital both in money, and intellect, to put in place a National Domestic Competition.

Finally, that a national governing body has the ability to wear two hats i.e run the international teams as well as the national teams. Can’t think of a single example world over its worked.

Unrealistic is not heading to a independent National Domestic Competition.

However, I am tired of arguing the case so bye all for a while.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unrealistic hhhhmmmmmm

You either have a National Domestic Competition or you don’t. The brief outline I gave above is the bones of all successful National Domestic Competitions world over.

What’s IMO unrealistic is thinking that Super Rugby has a future or that those wise and intelligent folk over in NZ make all decisions with the view of it being good for Australian Rugby. Or that you can run a Claytons, National Domestic Competition, whereby all power is held by Rugby Australia and Rugby Australia has the capital both in money, and intellect, to put in place a National Domestic Competition.

Finally, that a national governing body has the ability to wear two hats i.e run the international teams as well as the national teams. Can’t think of a single example world over its worked.

Unrealistic is not heading to a independent National Domestic Competition.

However, I am tired of arguing the case so bye all for a while.
Having a domestic competition is not the unrealistic part - it's many of your proposed ground rules and must haves which are neither achievable, sellable, nor sustainable

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Having a domestic competition is not the unrealistic part - it's many of your proposed ground rules and must haves which are neither achievable, sellable, nor sustainable
Which part is unachievable, to me this is straight forward.

First must go for a certain number of weeks lets say around mid 20's.... meaning if we have 8 teams they play 4 rounds. You need 24 to 30 weeks of a season to build interest over the long term and as teams are added the number of rounds can be reduced.

Second, must have a media deal, that provides maximum exposure to the general public. Just makes sense.

Third, all players must play and be available. Just makes sense

Fourth, pick stadiums that are affordable and reflect crowds. Huge issue to cut costs to help maintain the competition

Fifth Have teams independent and this means getting private ownership of teams. Essential for the capital and intellect needed to fund and run teams

Sixth, the National Domestic Competition must be run and administered by the independent clubs, and they should also be responsible for funding the competition. This is how you get people to invest and more than likely run and operate it better than a governing body

Anything you do has to work within the framework that already exists. You can't create an alternate reality that doesn't exist and then suggest that based on that thing existing that the idea will work.
Interesting, nay very interesting.

If the existing framework is failing are you suggesting it can't be changed.

Why can't you design a NDC, set rules and invite private teams and then let the teams run the competition within the framework and rules you set in place.

Why can't all player be available?

The only and I accept a issue to be worked through is the NDC will have international breaks that suit the NDC.

I worry when maybe 300 or more world over NDC are run in a similar fashion its considered impossible for rugby in Australia to do the same.

However, RA seems more and more heading down this road so hopefully soon it won't be a discussion it will simply happen,.

Again, don't wanta get into endless arguments repeated over the last 20 years or so. Meaning will be leaving for a while still read but not post.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Anything you do has to work within the framework that already exists. You can't create an alternate reality that doesn't exist and then suggest that based on that thing existing that the idea will work.
Much of the framework that Half suggested is setting up basic structures in place to ensure that the competition has a chance to grow and become viable, the issue has always been that any 2nd tier competition is so compromised because it is essentially just a feeder comp for the national teams as such it is never in a postion to evolve or adapt to grow, even Super Rugby pacific will ultimately falter as it wiil inevitably hit that reality.

It is the catch 22 of rugby here, without genuine growth at a domestic level the Wallabies will never really get any better, yet the whole structure of the game pretty much ensures that domestic growth will never happen, so outside of a couple of years of sugar hits here and there when the Wallabies overperform it is just rinse & repeat.

It just seems a bit ironic that any domestic competition is constantly met with calls of pipedreams and unrealistic expectations, yet many of those same people happily lapped up 20 years of Super rugby taking over the world. Now whatever happened to those South American and Asian conferences!!!